How to select a main road to avoid autoselected shortcuts

I have been traveling for two moths in Europe with a camper-van and two months in Australia with a similar camper-van.

My issue is that the Tom Tom always send me through shortcuts (independently of the setting fastest or shortest). Several time these shortcuts are accident in the waiting: narrow roads, winding roads, single track roads, poorly maintained road.

What is the purpose, then, to have a Tom Tom if you want to be safe, you either waist a lot of time to drive below par conditions, or revert back to paper maps.

How difficult it is to introduce a setting or a default, where the most commonly (national, regional main trunk routes) and safest road can be selected?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,552 Superuser
    Hi @Berygan

I see in your profile that you have a GO520. That unit is designed for use with a Car. If you want to avoid some of these more narrow roads when using a larger vehicle like a Campervan then you should consider the GO Camper or a Truck version upon which you are able to define the size and weight of your vehicle.

That is not to say that more avoid options would not be an idea as there is not an option to avoid Motorways the GO Camper.

Doug
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 429 [Supreme Navigator]
    Berygan wrote: »
    I have been traveling for two moths in Europe with a camper-van and two months in Australia with a similar camper-van.

My issue is that the Tom Tom always send me through shortcuts (independently of the setting fastest or shortest). Several time these shortcuts are accident in the waiting: narrow roads, winding roads, single track roads, poorly maintained road.

What is the purpose, then, to have a Tom Tom if you want to be safe, you either waist a lot of time to drive below par conditions, or revert back to paper maps.

How difficult it is to introduce a setting or a default, where the most commonly (national, regional main trunk routes) and safest road can be selected?

This problem has been reported endless times to TomTom over several years, as well as discussions on this forum, but TomTom either are clueless as to how to fix this (which I find hard to believe) or deliberately but silently refuse to do so, perhaps to try to force people to buy their more expensive products. We've never received an explanation as to why for instance, there isn't an option to avoid unclassified roads (if they can be called roads), or why they won't allow us to use third-party POI's like the well-respected pocketgpsworld speed cameras database, so don't expect an improvement anytime soon. In my view the way TomTom ignores its customers is appalling - if there were any serious competition, they would have gone out of business ages ago and deservedly so.

BrianE
  • BeryganBerygan Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Dear Brian E, Thank you very much for your comment. This simply confirm my view that at TomTom they are only interesting in money and profit and could not care less for clients that after all pay they salaries and profit. Shortcuts through unclassified road are a real danger not only for heavy and large vehicle but for all vehicles traveling through unserviced roads, on the borderline of being a "risk threat" and where most of the time you have no mobile phone reception (in case you need help).
  • BeryganBerygan Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Dear Doug Lap, as mentioned to Brian E, your answer confirms my view (and Brian E suspicion) that at TomTom they are unethically only interested in money and profit and could not care less of clients that, after all, pay they salaries and profit.

Shortcuts through unclassified road are a potential real danger not only for heavy and large vehicle but for all vehicles traveling through mostly narrow , poorly paved and unserviced roads, kilometers away from inhabited places, on the borderline of being a "risk threat" and where most of the time you have no mobile phone reception in case you need help. (If the need of phone connection is not understood).

I am really upset of having wasted may money on a tool that could be a real "travel assistant" if only the interest of the clients could be held first.

This means, (sick) going to use Google Maps where phone connection exists and old reliable paper maps in all other cases.