Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,763 Superusers
    edited March 31
    Hi

For the life of me, I can't see what the problem is...,
    Tomtom Have released a New Model It has a Different Name and more Features
    They have Published the changes/improvements & new features
    They have NOT announced any Hardware changes
    (@Gnats... +1 They would be shouting it from the rooftops if the Hardware had been enhanced)
    If you don't like or have no use for the new features........ Just pass on it
    If you like or have a use for the new features then... Buy one Simples !!!

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Your missing the point here, if the changes are purely software then why not allow it for existing models that support that hardware. Both Android and Apple push out new features to existing hardware, they dont say, if you want these new features you need to buy a new phone even though its the same spec as your existing one.
    TomTom should at least make the software available as an upgrade to existing models that support it.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,091 Superusers
    I agree.
    GO6200
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 212 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited April 1
    @LAURE123

I answered the most important question.
    - 1/ Why don't you put direct links to your sources of information?
    I dint because it is and Dutch site and most people can’t read Dutch.

- 2/ Why do you use an 'https: //bit.ly/xxxx' link redirection to send users on the official TomTom website?
    Like I already mentioned this is the part I 100% copied from tw**ke** website. So it is not my link but part of a quote.

TomTom doesn’t give any information about the question if the same hardware is used as the GO 6200. So I think this information is under NDA.

The same case as a GO 6200 doesn’t say anything about the hardware Used. The Rider 550 case is 99% het same as the Rider 450. But the hardware is a big improvement.

Newer types of CPU’s are often pin compatible with the older model so in many cases there also is no need to change the PCB.

I agree that Caution is needed with web information especially from unofficial sources but when it is company policy not to give information it is the most likely alternative.

When you compare tw**ke** website forum posting from TomTom with other Dutch company’s or investigations TomTom is always silent (NDA?) and with most others like AMS, Homey or TU Delft the people involved in the research and development often post the best content beneath the article.

So this leaves us with only one proper solution to answer this question. Start some Crowdfunding to buy a G0 6200 and a GO PREMIUM and organize community a tear-down.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Gnats wrote: »
    Your missing the point here, if the changes are purely software then why not allow it for existing models that support that hardware. Both Android and Apple push out new features to existing hardware, they dont say, if you want these new features you need to buy a new phone even though its the same spec as your existing one.
    TomTom should at least make the software available as an upgrade to existing models that support it.

Where's the profit in that? Business is business & to hell with the previous owners!
  • GnatsGnats Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    Well the phone manufacturers seem to do pretty well out of that business model, perhaps that's why their devices are constantly evolving and improving.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,750 TomTom Moderator
    edited April 2
    Hi @RoadRider

I agree with @Laure123 on some of her points!

I would suggest that you avoid mentions of a third party website because all this information is available on different tomtom web pages. Unfortunately, I had to remove those references in all the above comments.

We allow external links but their relevance lies when it's really necessary and no other TomTom support web page or FAQ carries the same information.

Another thing would be to use direct links instead of URL's that look confusing. Users reading your comments may assume that the link you posted could direct them to a fraudulent website(spamming, virus, scamming, etc); rather they would feel more assured and confident when they see and click on links starting with- tomtom.com/

Software on the GO PREMIUM device is more advanced and upgraded but no changes to the hardware.

Thank you for understanding!

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    Hi Vikram, can we hope having a navcore update for transforming GO5200/6200 in Premium?
    GO6200
  • kiddingguykiddingguy Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited April 1
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @RoadRider

(...)

Software on the GO PREMIUM device is more advanced and upgraded but no changes to the hardware.
    (...)

Regards
    Vikram :)

Thank for clearing this up.

This is kind of a bummer.... NO changes to hardware, means basically TomTom is providing hardware from almost 2,5 years ago. A bit of software tweaking. Nice gold bezel on the 6" model. And "bang we're done"? Thereby thinking "hopefully our customers will 'accept' these changes and pay the same?!" Or what?
    So basically this brings 'us' to the competition... so how's Garmin DriveSmart compared to TomTom? :o
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 608 Superuser
    edited April 2
    A quick look at the current offerings from Garmin suggests things haven't changed much.

Pros: More features, functionality and information about your route
    Cons: UI not as polished, more reports of 'odd' routing, traffic not quite as good

For me traffic is king, so I'll be sticking with TomTom for the short to medium term.

One further thought on last night's moan, this also explains why the last few firmware updates have been stamped with the generic 'Various performance improvements and bug fixes have been implemented' message in the release notes - they've been withholding feature updates to save for the Premium :/
    edited April 2
    Hi
    @kiddingguy

ATB YFM

Eddy
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,791 Superuser
    HI @eddydc

You can add 3rd Party POI files to the latest models and view them on the Map including if available viewing additional information on the individual Poi's such as phone numbers..

What you cannot do compared with the old units is add a .bmp file to have a Poi specific icon such a s a businesses personal picture to see on the Map. You only have the option to add 1 of 5 specific Images to represent the Poi on the map. You also cannot manage Poi files on the unit. Personally not found this a problem.

Doug
    Hi
    @eddydc

I have 107 POI categories on my Tomtom devices, many of them Personal POI Categories... I don't have a problem
    DougLap wrote: »
    (Snip) You only have the option to add 1 of 5 specific Images to represent the Poi on the map. You also cannot manage Poi files on the unit. Personally not found this a problem. Doug
    But you can add multiple POI Categories to one of the Generic Icons i.e... Fuel, for instance, I add my all my fuel Categories under one Generic Icon
    Then tap the Generic Icon displayed on the Map view or List view for more detailed information about the POI Location

ATB YFM

I dit some more research and getting confused.
    The actual source of the quote of user I-res on the popular dutch tech news website you don't like us to mention seems to be TomTom's own twitter account.

this text is the answer from TomTom's official Twitter account to this question;
    Hi @TomTom, are the hardware specs of the new #GOpremium the same as the #GO6200? Same cpu, screen etc.?

https://twitter.com/TomTom/status/1111252069070110720

So I have two TomTom employees with a different story.
    You say the hardware is the same as the GO6200.
    And TomTom's official Twitter account is talking about an updated CPU.

Now I am wondering witch answer in correct.
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 165 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Any change to POI management on new premium devices so I can add a user defined bmp icon that means something?

Never understand why this hasn't been implemented to date.....it can't be a memory thing as I have the UK PGPSW camera ov2 files on my current 6200 but they look stupid as a purple shape rather than something that resembles a speed camera.

Agree that it's poor form if NAV 5 devices especially don't get a software update with improved functionality if the hardware is the same especially as these devices are only a couple of year old. My iphone 6 still currently gets updates and apple has shareholders too!

TomTom traffic is king otherwise I would have looked at Garmin some time ago. A trip today from Nottingham to Hampstead can testify this with a nice detour off the main route around Swiss Cottage down a couple of residential backstreets to find my destination at Royal Free Hospital.

But why not add the extra functionality often requested (POI management/ALG fix/improved routing) to make your devices even better presumably across both PND and mobile devices?
    edited April 3
    Hi
    brucey wrote: »
    (Snip)My iPhone 6 still currently gets updates and apple has shareholders too! (Snip)
    My iPhone5 would not allow the latest iOS updates, the Tomtom GO Mobile App requires the latest iOS to run, I had to update my Phone before I could run the App

Edit... My iPad will only update to iOS 9.3.5 and feel it has been deliberately slowed like the early iPhones

ATB YFM

Hopefully the next update for NAV 5 devices will get some new features rather than unlisted ‘various fixes’.
    brucey wrote: »

Hopefully the next update for NAV 5 devices will get some new features rather than unlisted ‘various fixes’.

I hope too but when? What is the number of version of the navcore oft the GO premium? 19.xxx?

GO6200
    Hello all

GO Premium and GO 5200/6200 share the same hardware specifications, but differ in the color of the bezel.

When adding new features, we aim to not compromise the speed and responsiveness of the new products.

This is why we also constantly monitor them and when needed, make improvements which are then provided with software releases.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    And? I know that you can write only what you are allowed to write and I do not blame you for that but you do not answer the question that everyone asks: are the "old" NAV4 / NAV5 to have the navcore premium for the new features?
    GO6200
    @miketorcy

The NAV4 and the GO WIFI devices are fully supported so we will continue to roll out updates for them.

But I don't think we will be able to upgrade them with all the features that are available on the GO PREMIUM devices.

Thanks,
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Maybe for comparison-sake one could do an unboxing, tear down of hardware (like iFixit for iPhones) or a video with both the 5200 and GO Premium doing different navigation tasks?