About mobile cameras in UK — TomTom Community

About mobile cameras in UK

Nick_32000Nick_32000 Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
Hi I seen many time the Tomtom warning for mobile camera in places like A34 by Oxford, A5 and A442 in Wales but is nothing there and I can't tick if yes or no and the warning is there everytime I am going on that directions, it's possible like police to use this application for make the peoples to stay out of speed?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,255
    Superusers
    edited March 2019
    H
    @Nick_32000
    The 'Report a Camera Icon' is grayed-out... Then as you pass adjacent to the Speed cameras actual location, the Report a Camera Icon becomes Live... Tap the button to report the Camera

For general improvement for a NAV4/5(Wifi) device over the default settings

Always use a Computer voice...
    Also.... From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed...
    (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red Light Camera'
    'Spoken Traffic delays'

Also keep an eye on the Traffic-bar you get a warning that can be many miles before the Speed Camera, the Speed Cam Icon moves down the Traffic-bar and the distance counts down then as you approach the Camera you then get a spoken or warning sound

0bce7310-f236-46ee-881e-b3c5de207f84.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • Nick_32000Nick_32000 Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    Did understand what I asked you? I asked if the police can use the Tomtom aplication for warning the fake mobile camera because on that areas specificated above the sound of warning mobile camera is on somewhere on A34, A5 and A442 but is nobody there and is everytime when I am pasing these areas and the options for yes or no is not appear on display.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,098
    Superuser
    Hi @Nick_32000

The Mobile camera positions are those reported as being used in the past and are potential for use again. These are not input by Police to slow you down.

Doug
    But why is not that option on display with yes or no for cancel if the camera is not there?
    Superusers
    edited March 2019
    Hi
    @Nick_32000
    Hi I seen many time the Tomtom warning for mobile camera in places like A34 by Oxford, A5 and A442 in Wales but is nothing there and I can't tick if yes or no and the warning is there every time I am going in that direction, it's possible like police to use this application for make the peoples to stay out of speed?
    Tomtom got into a lot of trouble back in 2011 and with it a lot of bad publicity... I wouldn't think they would want to go down that road with the Police again!!!
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8480702/Tom-Tom-sold-drivers-GPS-details-to-be-used-by-police-for-speed-traps.html

The is a 'Speed Camera still there' request is only issued if someone has recently reported a Speed Camera to be present, the warning would remain active for 2 to 3 hours unless someone else reports the Camera van still there or it has moved on
    The Tomtom Mobile camera database has always been that way
    I have also seen and not been warned about the Mobile Camera Vans, but I always report one if I see it, so I guess the the Tomtom users for the next couple of hours received a warning

i.e... A while ago on Woodbury Lane Worcester I spotted a Police Motorcycle speed check/trap... I received no warning
    I tapped the 'Report a Speed Cam' button....
    On the return journey I received a warning and a confirmation 'Is the Camera still there request'

ca783271-5bf6-4262-b15c-a82734b06077.png

I prefer camera the 3rd party Speed camera database that I use on my NAV3 devices, I don't mind the false positives, but it can get a little irritating along the A449 with the sheer amount of false positives
    The Tomtom 'Smart' Speed Camera database is so that people aren't annoyed by false positive Speed Cam warning
    I wish Tomtom would offer the best of both worlds
    A choice between their 'Smart' system that relies on other users reporting the Cameras
    Or an option to Warn about the location of each Camera whether its a live Camera location or a false positive

ATB YFM

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,098
    Superuser
    Because if you go past and its not there then press a message to Tomtom they are not going to rely on an individuals input to delete the position only to find it is there next week. We have places near us that go with no camera. for weeks and then they are there 3 days on the trot. The purpose of the warning is to make you aware of places the have been known to be used.
    Is possible to be somebody who maje a fake report but how I said the warning is there every time when I passed it is in the same place and after 2-3 houres on display it should appear options with if the camer it stiil there and is yes or no, but this options are not appear when I am passing these areas.
    Superusers
    edited March 2019
    Hi
    @Nick_32000

If you set up your device as suggested in the 2nd post in this thread...
    Instead of a none descriptive Dong Dong Dong for all Speed Camera types... The device will tell you its Fixed Camera, an Average Speed Camera zone, a Mobile Hot-Spot and if its accompanied with a confirmation request 'Is the Camera still there' then its most likely a Mobile Camera that's been reported by another user in the last 2 to 3 hours

ATB YFM