TT Rider 550 sharing routes between friends by bluethoot — TomTom Community

TT Rider 550 sharing routes between friends by bluethoot

Il_GuapoIl_Guapo Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
edited October 2019 in RIDER
I’ve just bought the new rider 550, coming from the “old 400”.
I can’t share my route to my friends with Bluetooth like I was able on TTRider400... why??
Tagged:

Comments

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 564 [Revered Pioneer]
    As far as I know sharing routes using Bluetooth is deprecated to make the more stable BLE connection to the smartphone possible.

You can still share routes using the MyDrive App or MyDrive website on your Phone. Only this uses the cloud and needs a (3G/4G or WiFi) internet connection.
    Just select a route in MyDrive. Hit Share choose how to share (Mail, SMS, WhatsApp) this shares a route link.
    When the receiver opens the route link MyDrive App or MyDrive website opens showing the route. And they can transfer the route to their Rider.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 749
    Superuser
    Routes was never shared since the 400 era, only tracks.
    For me A track is still a route format and listed in My Routes.

Its a pity that the other route format is also called route witch leaves a lot room for misconceptions. A better name would be waypiont list ore de ITN route name used in this forum.
  • Il_GuapoIl_Guapo Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    It’s incredible... one of the most simply and useful feature to use during a trip with friends.... was be removed??
    So if you don’t have internet connection it’s impossible to share a track/route?
    Whiteout internet you still can share routes with an Micro SD Card.

You can also share the route a day early so everyone can already arrive with the route track loaded on there TomTom Rider.
  • Il_GuapoIl_Guapo Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    RoadRider wrote: »
    Whiteout internet you still can share routes with an Micro SD Card.

You can also share the route a day early so everyone can already arrive with the route track loaded on there TomTom Rider.

Ok, everything is possible, but when I travel in a multi days trip, usually I plan the next day route in the evening.... and the next morning before start I share it with other friends. By using Bluetooth it’s easy and quickly, by using SD card is more complicated.
    In my opinion this is a feature that Tomtom should re-introduce!
    Superuser
    Things are very clear, just take a look at:

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#AboutMyRoutes-GOSTARTTRUCKERWINGSBodrum.htm

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#AboutGPXandITNfiles-GOSTARTTRUCKERWINGSBridge.htm

Most probably they removed that feature completely because you can share your routes from MyDrive.

Everyone with the link can have your route.

Try it and let us know your experience...

@Ste7ios I do not agree with you that things are very clear.

The word route comes from the French language en means;
    A way or course taken in getting from a starting point to a destination.

It is also normal to talk about a train route. This also is one of the clearest examples of a track in normal language.

On Motorcycles PND’s we mainly use two types of routes;
    • A list of many GPS track point from Start to Finish we call a Track.
    • A list of far less route- or waypoints from Start to Finish (can also be just a finish point) that for a logical historical reason we also call Route.

So, in my opinion there are multiple types of routes. And as someone talks about a route on his Motorcycles PND it can be both a route type route and a track type route.
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Never trust natural language to interpret legal, medical and technical terms. You’ve to understand their terminology, what they really mean...

There can also be some differences from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example TT doesn’t use anymore the term “waypoint” but “stop”.

We always had (since the first days of GPS) three types of data:
    • Waypoints: a list of coordinates with no sequential relationship. A POI list for example.
    • Routes: a list of coordinates (routepoints) with sequential relationship that can be used by navigational devices to guide you to your destination. The software will calculate a route as it thinks according to your settings (preferences, avoidances, traffic conditions and other data).
    • Tracks: a list of coordinates (trackpoints) in order to describe a path accurately. Conceptually it’s like a record of where and when have you been and can be replayed again in the future or it can be used to design a route.
    A route may consist only of the places you want to visit. For example Paris, Le Mans, Bordeaux, Marseille.

A satnav will calculate a route from your current position to Paris, to the next one, to the next one, ...to your destination. It may recalculate it automatically if there is some traffic on your route to avoid it.

You may add some intermediate waypoints in strategic points if you want to guide it through a more specific route.

With a track nothing is calculated, it will follow blindly the trackpoints. You can’t alter it, you can’t change direction etc. You’ve to stick to that.

TomTom was never good in explaining how their products work... The have to improve their manuals.