Lane Guidance not working after the latest update......again - Page 15 — TomTom Community

Lane Guidance not working after the latest update......again

Comments

• Covkid62Covkid62 Posts: 543 [Revered Navigator]
    It's about time you actually updated us on this issue Tomtom instead of just ignoring everybody like you normally do
  • MudSharkMudShark Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Covkid62 wrote:
    It's about time you actually updated us on this issue Tomtom instead of just ignoring everybody like you normally do

Hear Hear :joy:
  • PatjepeeerPatjepeeer Posts: 65 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    @Vikram, could you please provide us with an update regarding this issue?
    I think everybody wants and has the right to receive a status update.

Thanks.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply Patjepeer as countless people have asked for updates and been totally ignored as always :rage:
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 162 [Exalted Navigator]
    I have been travelling back and forth around the M25 the last few weeks; my last exit is J21A and coming back Anti Clockwise ALG has been showing consistently at this junction, but coming around the M25 clockwise it is a different story and so random………...:thinking:

Several hundred yards before J21A there is the J21 exit to the M1 Northbound and if ALG is functioning correcting it “should” instruct me first to keep right on the M25 and then immediately instruct me to take the J21A exit on the left and “should” show the Advanced Lane guidance for both junctions.

For the last 5 months ALG “has not worked” for the first instruction at J21 to keep right, so much so that I began to doubt that I had never seen ALG here!!!

But I know ALG did appear that once 5 months ago and I also remember doing a route preview at home!
    Plus a colleague also confirmed sighting ALG here at Jct 21 being as surprised as I was!

Over the last few weeks since the New software update v18.202.0024 was released ALG has “appeared or not” on a totally random basis at J21A - doing a Drum Roll reset or turning the device off when stopping my journeys has made absolutely zilch effect. So the random TT device behaviour continues. :tired_face:

On another journey on the M25 going anticlockwise meeting the M23 at J8 and wanting to travel on the M23 Southwards = No ALG………………….

I would have expected that ALG should be in operation for such a major interface?? Yes it does operate as confirmed by later doing a route preview at home!

But coming back doing the reverse journey ALG worked correctly at the M23 / M25 interface.

Last Friday night, I travelled to Oxford via the M25 / M40 – the 6200 did not advise of multiple roadworks and I had random advices of ALG but it then appeared to have a 100% hissy fit on the way back and I received no ALG guidance at all…………………….:tired_face:

Earlier that afternoon I had travelled locally and got stuck in a bit of traffic approaching a roundabout but the TT did not recognise any delays even though I had enough time sitting in the traffic queue to do two Drum Roll resets………………………………… :thinking:

I also switched on my Garmin Sat Nav and no surprise it detected the traffic delays :grin: so having done two Drum Roll resets would have thought the 6200 would have been good to go on my way to Oxford – it is so bloody random and irritating that the 6200 either does not detect traffic / roadworks or give the correct ALG advice……………. :persevere:

Based on my experiences and that of others the new software v18.202.0024 update has not cured the ALG bug!!!

@lampard @VikramK

When are we going to be “at least updated” when the ALG Bug is going to be fixed????
    Hi Lost Soul,

very weird how this bloody thing works or in the case of ALG doesn't work.
    How can it show lane guidance images one minute and not the next....Mine is another story as sometimes it will show ALG after a reboot and it will work for most of the day but at other times after a reboot it doesn't work at all.
    Weird part about this ALG bug is that when i had my 6200 with me in Florida ALG worked nearly all of the time without having to do reboots but the bad thing was the missing blue line bug which plagued me constantly and was bloody dangerous having to do reboots while driving so i didn't take wrong turns on unfamiliar roads.
    I really can't understand why despite Tomtom finding out what is causing the issue that they haven't fixed it and that was 18 months ago and one of the most annoying things is the total ignorance of Tomtom staff who refuse to keep us updated or even comment...Mikkok was much better in running this forum and VikramK is useless!
    Hi @Covkid62

Your experience in Florida using the same device points to the Bug not being within the "device" software, but the "map"....................

And from what I understand TomTom maintains multiple versions of their maps, so could understand if that is the case that they will have to eradicate the "bug on a map by map basis", but as you say it would be good of TomTom to actually comment on their progress!

I am not a programmer, but would have thought their programming should be structured so all they would need to do is update the ALG module ........................ obviously it cannot be. :grinning:

Famous last words, but don't believe I have experienced the Blue line bug as I do tend to listen to the instructions more than looking at the device screen.

My latest irritation is that Traffic delays can be present and they are shown on the device, but often there is "NO" Minutes delay associated with the actual delay. i.e. it can say "stationary Traffic for 1 mile" but shows Nil for any time delay; so the device will not divert around the "actual Traffic delay" which could be say 15 minutes.

I did write into Customer Services back in 2016 when I first became a TT user on this actual subject and although I kept on asking for updates for up to a year later eventually my question got erased "unanswered".

I have been experimenting plotting routes using MyDrive (web based) near to where my sister lives as they currently have multiple roadworks to detect a gas leak which is causing all the local roads to be gridlocked all day. So I can plot a route nearby and force Mydrive to route along these traffic delays then send the "stops" to my device and compare the route times.

I have found that if I plot a route starting greater than 3-5 miles away from the traffic delay that although the device will indicate on the map there is traffic it shows "no associated minutes delay"............................:persevere:.

But recalculating the route starting from say 3 miles away all the delays on the device are correctly shown with the same delay minutes as seen on MyDrive.

Also "clearing the route" will enable the correct minutes of traffic delays to be shown on the device map, but what use is that?? We need the actual traffic delays to be recognised on the device!!

This seems to be a very serious and fundamental navigation error and goes some way to explains why enroute to my sisters my arrival times have been so erratic often delayed by 15 minutes of previously unexplained traffic delays! :thinking:

@lampard @VikramK Any comments on this traffic issue please?
  • LC123LC123 Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Covkid62 wrote:
    Hi BrianE,

A very well thought out email to Tomtom with some very good points but i'm not surprised they haven't answered any of your questions...it just seems as soon as they have our money they are not interested in sorting aything out and as you have said these devices are not the cheapest but it seems to me as the prices have gone up the devices quality has gone down.
    I drive about 35,000 miles a year for work so use my device every day and some of the routing has been bloody awful to say the least and yes that does mean getting sent down country lanes that were designed for horse and carts not cars and vans and i've lost count the amount of times i have come face to face with another car coming the other way with no way of getting past.
    Routing needs sorting out before somebody gets killed and as the winter approaches i'm dreading using my go6200.
    I'm not getting my hopes up with Tomtom anymore and sort of giving up with these devices as they are not getting any better and as you have said we have not had any useful updates in god knows how long...It's almost like they are giving up with it themselves knowing they are quite crap

The lane thing is deliberate by TomTom as they want to charge more for devices sold to commercial drivers, i.e. HGV, and those devices will avoid lanes etc, there is no reason they can't enable it on all TomTom's but then it's harder selling a "premium" model.

Years ago it was possible to set a maximum speed in TomTom, so if you didn't drive at 70MPH (towing or just a slower driver) you could set a lower maximum speed, this did a couple of things, one the ETA was more accurate, and the routing took into account that A roads might be just as fast as a motorway and gave some different route options. This was taken away from us, but is still available on commercial devices (which are exactly the same in all respects), which they charge a premium for.

So don't expect the lane routing issue to ever be fixed on these devices, better to use Google Maps.
    @VikramK

Any chance of an update on the fix for this issue or am i wasting my time again
  • KlokKlok Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    still not solved!
    Covkid62 wrote: »
    @VikramK

Any chance of an update on the fix for this issue or am i wasting my time again

not usre if thus will ever be fixed...this thread about this issue is nearly 2 years old...so that's how bloody slow tomtom are at fixing things
    Update...or more being ignorant Tomtom
    When I show a route in the demo, he shows all the images of the exits as it should be, if I drive the same route 'live', the Go shows the first and often the second exit image well but then no more. I still thought that there was also a link between a lot of traffic information and the non-functioning of the prefixes, but recently it was very quiet on the road, so no traffic information about traffic jams etc. but the exit images did not work then either.
    I still find it a pity that I have a product that does not do what it should do. I also find it crazy that TomTom does not communicate anything about it.
    Klok wrote: »
    When I show a route in the demo, he shows all the images of the exits as it should be, if I drive the same route 'live', the Go shows the first and often the second exit image well but then no more. I still thought that there was also a link between a lot of traffic information and the non-functioning of the prefixes, but recently it was very quiet on the road, so no traffic information about traffic jams etc. but the exit images did not work then either.
    I still find it a pity that I have a product that does not do what it should do. I also find it crazy that TomTom does not communicate anything about it.

As you can see from the date this thread was started it has now been nearly 2 years and still it has not been fixed and despite many many people asking for updates the Tomtom staff on here continualy ignore requests for updates.....shocking customer service and they can't be surprised that a lot of people are now buying Garmin devices which i shall be doing once this piece of crap 6200 dies.
    I am convinced that even Tomtom have given up with these crap devices as we have had no new features despite requests from customers for over 12 months....hopefully these pieces of junk will be the end of Tomtom
    I am not so negative about TomTom, I have good experiences with the support and I am very satisfied with the devices, they will really solve this point as well.
    Klok wrote: »
    I am not so negative about TomTom, I have good experiences with the support and I am very satisfied with the devices, they will really solve this point as well.

this fault has been going on for nearly 2 years...look at when this thread was started....so how long are we supposed to wait for tomtom to fix things
    @Covkid62

I still continue as no doubt you do to experience the "random" appearance of ALG at Motorway junctions ;) to the extent that I have a second Sat Nav affixed in the car to compensate for the TomTom device failures............

Looking back since I became a TT user in 2016 I cannot recall there has been any resolution to any of the issues I have queried or raised with Customer Services!

There are so many issues that TomTom have yet to resolve - ALG / Narrow lanes routing / Fully Sync with Iphone / Mapcodes on MyDrive (PC) / Traffic delays not recognised in overall route calculation / road closures or roadworks not being reported or acted upon / Voice Recognition / POI Management - I am sure there are lots more……….. Plus of course all the "useful" historic features that have fallen by the wayside.

It is difficult to understand why TT does not respond to our queries or at least give an update; whether it is ALG or any other issue, they do seem to be concentrating more on in-car navigation systems from reading their latest press releases . I personally would have thought that they would be working on getting the phone app versions working correctly but sadly there does not appear to be any "significant" progress in that direction too.
    Hi lost soul...I'm not surprised that tomtom are ignoring us all when we ask for updates because for as long as i can remember staff on here have always been slow at answering questions if at all and it is very very frustrating....these bloody devices are by no means cheap but it seems as soon as they have your money they are not interested in sorting oput any issues.

when was the last time we actually had an update with new features....all we seen to get is is bug fixes but even then they neglect to tell us what bugs have been fixed and mostly the ones they do fix are created by them with dodgy software
    I am under the illusion now that even tomtom have given up with these devices as they probably realise that the software is garbage and they can't fix or improve it anymore and it wouldn't surprise me to see new devices soon with totally different software or as you said probably more in built car stuff.

iI'm sticking to my guns now and refusing to give them anymore of my money until they start bloody listening to their customers and giving us what we pay over the odds for.

this thread is now 2 years old and still no bloody fix for this fault and to me that is shocking from such a supposed large company...can you imagine microsoft or Apple being this slow in fixing things...totally piss poor way to treat people
    update needed to this issue please Tomtom
    I am not 100% certain, but has Tomtom dropped advertising ALG as a feature on their latest products???

It is still contained in the product manuals but I did wonder if this was an ominous sign that Tomtom “cannot fix the ALG issue” and was going to quietly drop the feature completely??

For about 10 days I experienced a total lack of any ALG guidance on my Go 6200 despite numerous drum roll resets although in hindsight about the same time I did change my habit and stopped doing Drum roll resets after any Speed camera updates………………. (I have along with others been getting erroneous messages re failed speed camera updates) and was resigning myself to ALG not working ever again. :'(

So was totally surprised last Friday night as without warning whilst driving along the A1 (M) I received an ALG advice message and then over the weekend driving on the M25 ALG has continued. :o

I wonder if this is linked to there being no speed camera updates for the 2nd half of last week ?? – in fact I think I received 3 map community updates between last Thursday and Sunday.

@vibramk @lampard

When are we going to be “at least updated” if and when ALG is going to be fixed as this is a very long outstanding issue?????

Hi Lost Soul...Was starting myself to think that Tomtom had dropped ALG as i looked at all the specs on the new premium x and nowhere does it mention ALG so maybe you are right and that they have realised that they can't get it to work.
    I haven't seen any ALG images for ages and when they have appeared they don't work for long so you seem to be having a bit more luck with it.
    Thing that gets to me the most is if they can't fix it bloody say so and stop messing us around or even worse totally ignoring requests for updates.......2 YEARS this has been going on for and for me that is unacceptable and how long has it been since the last update of any kind let alone one with new features.
    I did think about buying the new premium x but from what i have seen on here they are not much better than what i have already so Tomtom have no chance of getting anymore money off me!!
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 165 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    The traffic is brilliant but not much recent innovation and a new device released with only slight software improvement smacks of short termism to appease shareholders.

Thing is if I could have have proper POI management and warning sounds I would buy the new device tomorrow.

Think you’re right and don't think there will be a fix for ALG and disappearing 3D buildings which I’m sure is linked.

Don’t think TT will ever admit this though.
    Hi brucey.
    Think you are right they will never admit that they can't fix the issue which is probably the reason they constantly ignore anyone who asks for an update but like you i would buy the new one straight away if ALG worked and yeah POI's too.
    My vans built in sat nav has POI's on the screen so why can't Tomtom do it also Garmin devices has it too...shoddy Tomtom software
    Oh Dear............

Just one week later and I am back to the random or more often Zero appearances of ALG ............................. :'(

Yet a colleague who travelled the exact same journey on Sunday got a perfect score with ALG appearing correctly at all Motorway Exit junctions whereas my score was Zero and both of us had updated / Drum Roll reset our Go 6200 devices on the Sunday before starting travelling.

This issue is both irritating and so so random. :s
  • Ovalball03Ovalball03 Posts: 291 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Please be assured you will not get an answer from tomtom on this problem.It is not a priority to sort as long as they continue to sell their sat navs.I waited 3 years for a response regarding 3rd party points of interest management,and I am still waiting.