GOING VIA A PLACE (as opposed to a 'stop') — TomTom Community

GOING VIA A PLACE (as opposed to a 'stop')

flowerflower Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
I've just got a tom tom 52. My old tom tom let me put in via's (via this place, via that place).

the new one doesn't do that, it just says 'add a stop'.
A stop isn't the same as a via.
Today I put in a stop to use to take me VIA a road, but when I passed this road on my route to somewhere the tom tom kept directing me back to the stop.

Do I have to actually STOP and re-set my route? ARRRGGGHH. Please help, I'm a pensioner trying to get to grips with a new bit of technology which I thought would be like the old one! (very silly me.)

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,176
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @flower

There is more than one way to add something to a route.

Having created a route from A to B you can then Tap Menu, Tap Current Route and Tap Add a Stop then identify a place ..
    Or
    Create the route from A to B then Tap Menu, Tap Search and find a location, by typing in a town and select Centre of town for instance, then having got the screen with that location showing tap on the positions Icon then Tap on the 3 vertical dots on the sub menu and select Add to Current .Route This should be a waypoint and should not require you to Stop.

Doug
  • flowerflower Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    ooooo, thankyou so much. I've been searching for that answer for days! I'll try it tomorrow. fingers crossed! ( I'm being a bit dim, but do I have to select a town, or can I select a road by postcode or name when I've done the Menu/search bit?)
    Superuser
    Hi @flower

You can search exactly as you would normally. You can also search on the map and when you get to the area you want to put a waypoint is displayed then zoom in and press the screen at the point you can ensure the "V'" shape at the bottom of the icon that appears when you press for a second or so is on the correct side of the carriageway.. This positioning is to try and ensure the route is not made so you arrive in the wrong direction. You now Tap on the Icon that your press produced and again you Tap the 3 vertical dots and select Add to Current Route.

If you have any POI files loaded you can select a POI file and search that for a particular one. You can also Tap Menu, Tap Search Tap Whole Map which is top Right and select one of the 6 options for where you want the search to look ie In a Town or Near Me ie near where you are, or near the destination..

Doug
  • flowerflower Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    thankyou doug, am going out on a longish journey with hubby this morning. I'll take the sat nav and a print out of your advice and play with it as I'm going along (obviously I won't be the one who is driving! Ideal opportunity to get to grips with it! thankyou so much for taking so much trouble to reply. lynda
    Superuser
    HI @flower

If you use the first option I mentioned that is on the basis that you are going to stop there ie petrol.

The other ways I suggested produce Waypoints and as you approach ta Waypoint th eUnit will arise you and not do anything other than continue directing you if you drive on by. If you have used the waypoint method to "Stop" for petrol it will matter not to the unit. If you wonder further off the road to the pumps than the waypoint was marked it will just recalculate to get you back on your way.

Doug