MyDrive Connect has completely bricked my TomTom Start 25 — TomTom Community

MyDrive Connect has completely bricked my TomTom Start 25

I hadn't updated the maps in a while, so I tried to update it on MyDrive and it said there was 4 updates including the maps and a Navcore update and the updates downloaded successfully and started to install, but then after about 25% complete the Start 25 restarted and wouldn't reconnect, MyDrive was just telling me to connect the device.

I left it for a while and MyDrive still couldn't connect to the device, so I attempted to turn it on and it seems to be bricked. All I get now is a white screen with a small sat nav in the middle with two circular arrows rotating which lasts for about 30 seconds before completely shutting down.

I have tried to connect it again on two laptops and I get nothing, Windows 10 does not even recognise the device any more.

What can I do to get my Start 25 working again? It seems to me that MyDrive has completely ruined my device and I did everything to ensure the updates ran smoothly, such as setting the laptop not to go onto standby.

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,278 Superusers
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,202 Superuser
    Hi @zetortrailer

If you have not updated for some time then I suspect that the map size has increased significantly . When updating it is recommended to do each update individually not asking that all are done at the same time and any Navcore update is done first.

Your unit is an older model and so it might be an idea to check the serial number on it and look at the following to see if it is no longer supported by Tomtom. The problem with the older models is the available internal memory is insufficient to cope with the software and mapping.

If @dhn's suggestion does not resolve your problem then try Customer Support not saying what your model is thus enabling you to get through to a staff member. Click on Contact Us at the bottom of this page and work your way through to find the phone number.

Good luck

Doug
  • zetortrailerzetortrailer Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The drum reset does not make any difference, I hear the drum roll and the TomTom start screen displays but then it immediately goes to the same error screen I described.

I'm surprised that the TomTom software is not able to perform a factory reset in the device. Instead the software bricks my device and then the answer basically seems to be "out of warranty, bad luck".
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,202 Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @zetortrailer

Maybe @VikramK can have a look at your account and see if something needs sorting. All being well he could respond tomorrow.

If you want to progress the matter before Vikram responds then suggests you contact your Customer Support. Tap Contact at the bottom of this page and search for your countries contact details.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,002 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @zetortrailer

I don't find a device linked to your account. Could you PM me the serial number.

Regards
    Vikram
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,002 TomTom Moderator
    @zetortrailer

Thanks for sending the serial number..

I asked our team to review this case and according to them when you don't update the device for a very long time the unused sectors on the internal memory could get corrupted.

When that section of memory is used to install updates after a long time it could result in the application or the map not loading or working as expected.

I would still recommend that you try the recovery mode, the steps and the video is available here: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898

Regards,
    Vikram :)
  • zetortrailerzetortrailer Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the response. I've tried to put the device into recovery mode but it doesn't work. When I hold the start button down I hear the drumroll and see the TomTom start screen, but then it goes to the white screen I described with a small sat nav in the middle with two rotating arrows, which lasts for about 20 seconds or so before turning off, if I continue to hold down the start button it just does the same thing continually in a loop.

I notice that the sat nav has a Micro SD card slot, is there any way of restoring the sat nav using this? I find it very dissapointing that TomTom's software has ruined my perfectly good sat nav.