How to turn off without it turning itself back on — TomTom Community

How to turn off without it turning itself back on

4pandcg4pandcg Posts: 9 [Apprentice Seeker]
Start 62 tom tom:- The off buttton works and turns it off, but a few minutes later it turns itself back on. I pull the usb plug and it stays on til battery is depleted.
Tagged:

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

Also, make sure you clear any routes prior to shutting down the device.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,961 Superuser
    Hi @4pandcg

Does it do this if the unit is taken out of its cradle and then you turn it off. Does it still turn on when just lying there totally disconnected om any power source.

Doug.
  • colgacolga Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    thanks to superusers, I will try the tom drum reset, I had held down 5 secs so will now wait for the drum.
    Also Doulap for your reply, yes it comes on til battery depleted [ about 10 seconds].
  • 4pandcg4pandcg Posts: 9 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Sorry, tried the tom tom hold 20 secs several times. Just as soon as drums went it lit up start again, so that doesn't seem to help. I'll have to just keep unplugging and letting battery run out.
    edited March 26
    Hi @4pandcg

Is it still under warranty?

Have you tried a Factory Reset

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

Make sure the unit is will charged before doing this or attached to a Power source. You will lose all your Data ie Favourites,(Myplaces), Poi and Route files and you will have to set the whole thing up again. If you log into your MyDrive account , not MyDrive connect, and check all your data is therein if so the Data will sync back to the Start 62 when you have set it up .

Doug
  • colgacolga Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks,I tried it out a couple of times over short trips and worked ok. Maybe when it gets hot !. I will do a reset as suggested and am going on a 10 week tour so will give it a good workout then. If still doing it it will show up and I will take it back to the store. Might take my old Garmin along in case. Thanks for the help colga
    Well, I ended up doing the reset and now shortly after turning it on with all working ok, it turns itself off. Over 30 klms turned itself off and on 6 times and I now cannot turn it on. It seems to be a battery problem maybe. How hard is it to get a new battery?.Even though i've had it since June last year, have only used it 3 times when travelling, the last time was 90 klms each way and felt like throwing it out the window. Lucky I new where I was going. colga
    Hi @4pandcg

Have you got a screensaver on it if so try without.

Have you updated it recently.

Batteries available ex Fleabay etc and there are videos to show how to install on Youtube. There is an older model GO520 so look for correct one.

If you got it in June it should be still under warranty.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    4pandcg wrote: »
    (Snip)It seems to be a battery problem maybe. How hard is it to get a new battery?.Even though i've had it since June last year, have only used it 3 times when travelling, the last time was 90 klms each way and felt like throwing it out the window. Lucky I new where I was going(Snip)
    Lithium battery's should always be properly maintained, one of the worst things you can do to a Lithium Battery is to store it in a discharged state

See Monitoring the Charge state....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1633093/#Comment_1633093

Were you using Sleep Mode (Device in regular use)...The device is ticking over in the background)
    Or
    Turned off Mode (Infrequent Use)... Press the off button until the Power Menu displays --> Select Turn off...

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    (2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)
    (3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    More news, Now it refuses to switch on even though plugged in to the computer. Computer not seeing it. This was yesterday, still switching off. This morning plugged into the computer the tom tom comes on for 20 seconds then switches off so won't show up on computer and says not connected. I am using the correct charger usb and previously the only way to make it turn off was to pull the plug. After the reset the new now problem [I was going to say shows up], but that's the problem. It has only been used for a total of 30 or so hours as I am retired and don;t travel much. But still need tom tom.
    Regarding the charged state, the only way it turned off was when the battery was depleted. It would start itself again continually till " battery depleted" showed up. colga
    One other suggestion was to charge it on the power point, and thanks for info on battery, but not convinced that is the problem. I think, if plugging in doesn't work, i'll take it back. I purchased it in Townsville and live in Ballina, can I return it at their Ballina store. colga