Tearing my hair out !!! — TomTom Community

Tearing my hair out !!!

Bought a go basic - it works ok.in stand alone mode.
Mounting clip is crap, wasted £20, bought a pro clip - brilliant.
WHY can't TomTom leave thing alone. My 720 plugged into a pro clip complete with power so all I had to do was lift it out of its cradle to hide it, not have to lever a bracket off the back and unplug a usb cable - how long before this all gets busted.

Installed my drive connect on the computer and connected device to it. It recognises device because it correctly reads the serial number. I press the select square and get a window telling me to update. Nothing happens, the only thing I can do is get back to the window that has the device id.

The videos and instructions show my drive with maps and a menu. I have neither. just a blank screen and a settings icon.

On the device itself it tells me I can update but will not talk to the computer. The manual says I can do it over wifi. In the wifi section it tells me I am connected to the BT network with a very good signal. If I press update it tells me tomtom services are unavailable. I do have an account.

Can someone please tell me what is going on before frustration leads to me binning this and buying a Garmin.

Best Answer

• Tony!!!!!Tony!!!!! Posts: 9 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Doug

Thanks, I guess I will just have to learn how to spell :-)

Thanks again

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,952 Superuser
    Hi @Tony!!!!!

Maybe @VikramK can check your account at their end and see if any settings need changing as well..

Doug
    I have a 72M 2.4GHz wifi connection.
    GO basic says I am connected and there is no security.

If I connect to wifi with my laptop I have to enter an account number and password to access the internet. TomTom has no option to enter either. So what is it accessing ???
    Hi @Tony!!!!!

When you set your Go Basic you should have been asked to input your Wifi details with the Password so it could log into your Wifi when necessary. I suspect you have not done that or its forgotten it somehow.

I think if you go into Settings and click on the Wifi icon it will probably ask you for the info. When you have done it and gone back to the normal on page turn the unit off and then on again and see if it now connects.

Doug
    No, it does not ask for details and if I look at the details there is no option to input them.
    edited March 21
    Hi @Tony!!!!!

If you have already input the Wifi details and it is connecting you will not get a chance to re-enter it.

When you go into Settings and select "Updates and New Items" do you see a list of updates. If you do if one is a Software Update then select that one and deselect all the others. If there is no Software update select one of the Updates and deselect the rest. The idea is to only do one update at a time. the other swill stile there when you go back to it later. Now Press Update and it should start updating.

Sorry I am trying to go through this step by step.

Doug
    This video just goes through the same procedure I have been through more times, over the last week, than I can remember.

This is the message - we are having trouble accessing tomtom services please try again later

If you google this you find endless complaints - the verdict is its tomtom's crap software.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1041706/outage-resolved-problems-with-mydrive-connect-and-accessing-tomtom-services-on-the-device/p1

Some people have been able to get around this by using simple, unsecure, password - how do you change your password. If I try it via the go basic I just get the error message again and if I use the PC I cant find any option to do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited March 22
    Hi @Tony!!!!!

Once you have entered your MyDrive and Wifi account/Router details and Passwords into your GO Basic when setting it up you cannot change them within the GO basic. If you need to change any one of those details you have to do a Factory Reset of the GO Basic which deletes all the details and you have to setup the unit with the new details. Go to Settings and find reset .

If you want to change your Tomtom/MyDrive password you can do that in Mydrive by logging out and then you have an option Forgot your Password where you log in. You should be able to allocate a new password there.

Doug
    If I do a factory reset I presumably lose all the places I have spent hours entering. I can't back them up because it won't talk to the computer !!
    edited March 23
    Hi @Tony!!!!!

Please do this without the Go unit connected to your PC

Yes you will lose all your input data like Favourites ie MyPlaces, POI and route files that you have loaded. So don’t do a full reset yet as we need to sort out your MyDrive account first.

Can you log into the MyDrive webpage and log into your account there. If so can you see your My places POI and route files listed there. This will/is your backup. Once you can see those then you can do a full rest and when your Go unit logs into your WiFi f and your MyDrive Account then it will restore your data from MyDrive.

Can you advise how you get on with this before doing a reset.

Doug
    Thanks for this reply.
    I have now managed to get the GO to talk to my computer and thence to MyDrive web page. All My Places are safely there.

I now realise I have made the most basic of errors - I READ THE MANUAL. I now realise this was written for some other manufacturers long dead product. I found the correct manual via good old Google and immediately came across this statement:-

"Connecting to Wi-Fi
    Important: Wi-Fi connections that require a web sign-in are not supported on the TomTom GO. These types of Wi-Fi connections are frequently found in public places, for example in hotels, shops and restaurants."

I am a BT Broadband user and therefor have access to their 3G mobile network, 72GHz. But this requires a full logon - username and password. So presumably comes under the above heading.

As I live in the country there are no other mobile services available.

If I was 11 years old I am sure I would have known this instinctively, but I am not, so this is added to the fact that I can't work the video either :-)

I now have everything updated but am getting annoyed with the touch screen that often does not respond to touch. I end up stabbing and rubbing for some time to get it to do anything. Is this a known problem ?
    Hi @Tony!!!!!

I thing if I was you I would change my Forum name to Phew!!!!!

So pleased to hear that you are sorted. If you look on the left side of this page you will see a link to enable you to get the manual. You can download your manual directly from Tomtom there. 165 pages makes war and Peace seem like a light comedy. =) =)

As I said before if you have all your data saved in MyDrive should you ever have to do a Full Reset the Go basic will have your favourites etc loaded back on to it.

Hope you can now enjoy your unit.

Doug
    Doug

Thanks but now have a "user" question. I have succeeded in downloading the National Trust locations file and it works :-). But, it lists sites by distance from me, not in alphabetical order. That is fine if you know how to spell the name, but if, like me, you are English and want to go to somewhere in Wales for example, how are you going to find it if you don't know how many LLLLLs there are in it :-) If its in alphabetical order you stand a fighting chance - so, how can you change it please.
    Hi @Tony!!!!!

All search results are listed in order of distance from where you are or if you are searching in a town for example from its centre. and is the same if you search in the national Trust app on the phone. You can also have the same problem with all the Newports as you need to know which county they are in.

One possible solution is if you go into Settings /Appearance you can allocate a. coloured Icon to display the National Trust sites on the Map. You can then search the area of interest and click on the .Icons on the Map which will give information on the Poi the icon represents.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Doug

Thanks, I guess I will just have to learn how to spell :-)

Thanks again
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    edited March 24
    Hi
    @Tony!!!!!

GO Basic User Guide
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/GO_Basic/index.htm

How to Search a POI category

For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust...
    To show the POI's for "National Trust" as a List, work your way down to option (1)
    To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, use option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type dud(maston) (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list
    Tap on Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

f889ad92-ec4d-4cff-b7ab-06acfe020b8a.jpg
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range it's easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons appear
    Tap on a Generic Icon for more information
    The generic displayed Icons all relate to the POI category in use i.e... Burger King, so you don't need the Burger King associated Icon

74eedb1f-18ae-449b-a8b5-97669f825f30.jpgATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'