Need help to update my new Go basic 5 — TomTom Community

Need help to update my new Go basic 5

Hello,

I have just bought a Go Basic 5 and it seems I have been unable to update it. As soon as I received it, I started the update. It told me the update was 7,8 Go. I let the update run all day and all night and again all day today for a total of 32 hours !!! The update program restarted the device dozens, maybe hundreds of times. Finaly tonight I got the message that the update was completed. I pressed the ok button and it told me to install again an update exactly the same size.
I clicked the button to check this update to see if it's the same one or another one but the update restart immediately without showing me the name of the update and asking me if I really want to install it.
It's been three hours and it's still ongoing.
I will let it run all night long again but it's becoming crazy. Is it normal ? How can I get the name of the update before installing it to be sure it's working and I'm not installing the same update over and over again ?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,798 [Elite Vanguard]
    Hi
    @Murena

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO Basic (5" Screen) normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

ATB YFM

• MurenaMurena Posts: 13 [Master Traveler]
    Ok Thank you for your answer YamFazMan. Next time I will try by connecting to the USB then.
    That being said, I don't have a great internet connection but I just tested it and I'm way over 30 mbps in download (between 50 and 100 depending when I test it). Maybe more cause I did the test while the tomtom was dowloading.

So Yesterday evening, it finished quite late and told me again the installation was complete. As soon as I pressed the ok button, I received again the message that there is a new update (always the same size). It's still ongoing right now.

I'm really wondering if it's not always the exact same update which is never actualy installed.

If I try to update by mydrive connect using a USB cable, will I be able to see the name of the updates and to select only one of them because by wifi, it seems I don't have the choice. As soon as I pressed the update button, the installation begins without showing me what's the update and how many updates there is. The only information I get is the size when it announced me there is a new update. When I go in the settings, I don't even received the size information.

Thanks in advance
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,788 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi @Murena

When you get the chance

Tap Menu
    Scroll right until you see the ? in a circle.
    Tap ? in a circle
    Tap About.

Now you will see the details of the Application Version Number and Date
    Also the Map references and Released dates .

If the Application starts 18.202.0024.XXXX
    and the maps start V10,25.94XXXX

Then you will have the latest I think.

Doug
    Thanks Douglap. So I have tried again several time by using both the wifi and the USB cable and each time, it tells me that the update is successfull but actually it's not and he proposes me to install again and again the same update.
    As you esplained me douglap, I took note of the versions of both the application and the map version and they haven't changed at all despite several "succesfull" updates.

Application (18.202.0024.411)
    Europe v1020.9287

My application seems to be up to date actually but my map is not and I'm not able to update it.

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.
    Also, at the end of my last USB cable attempt which was about 30 hours long, my drive connect had crashed. I don't know if that can help.
    I have just noticed something else. The internal memory of the go basic is 5,5 go and the size of the update is 7,8 go. Could this be where the problem come from ?
    Hi @Murena

Looks like you need to get a Micro SD card Class 10 sizes 16 or 32GB for the unit and then the unit can load what is needed if the internal memory is to small.

Doug
    Do you think the problem comes from there ? The total internal memory of the go basic is 16 go I think. Doesn't the device replace the old map with the new one. In this case, there should be enough space, no ?
    And if that's really the problem, why the device doesn't tell me so instead of driving me crazy by telling me every time that the update is successfull ?
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Murena

You are quite right if the update is a replacement of the Map on the unit it deletes the old one and replaces it. If you currently have 5.5GB of spare internal memory then you should not have a problem with updating the map. If you're adding a new map then that may well need the additional memory. 16gb of internal memory is plenty for most users unless they are adding more maps.

I will add a link here and see if @VikramK of Tomtom can have a look at your account at their end to see if anything needs changing or what might be causing your problem. Give him some time to respond please.

Doug
    Thank your for your help and I confirm you I'm not trying to add any new map, just updating my europe map.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,538 TomTom Moderator
    hi @Murena

I see there is pending download stuck on the process which could be causing this problem?

I would suggest that you keep the devices connected and let the jobs process.. Also ensure that any firewall or an antivirus software does not interrupt the connection.

If there is no improvement then I would advise that you report this to the customer service.

Regards
    Vikram