Avoiding Low Emissions Zone fines

DreamweaverIIDreamweaverII Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
Dear Sirs
I have a suggestion. I live in Scotland, south of Glasgow. Glasgow City Council have decided to create a “Low Emissions Zone” which comes into action before the end of this year. It is intended that other local authorities will follow this example of banning any Diesel or Petrol car which does not meet the Euro 6 emissions standard. I understand that London, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Manchester are all intending to introduce similar low emission zones in the very near future.
My car is an 2007 Volvo XC70 D5 AWD, it meets the Euro 4 emissions standard. Generally speaking all cars over four years old will be banned from entering the new Glasgow Low Emissions Zone, that is an awful lot of cars facing heavy fines for even inadvertently entering one of these new zones.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/low-emission-zone-to-regulate-glasgow-pollution-by-next-year-jrcsqh8jc
My suggestion is that when a TomTom user is planning a route, the system could provide options to avoid motorways, toll roads, ferries etc. Would it be possible to update your systems to include the avoidance of “Low Emission Zones” and also to provide alarms similar to your current speed trap alarms.
Regards
Earl Baxter

Comments

• TullioTullio Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    I suggest to TomTom to add the setup of emission type (like EURO 4 , EURO 5, EURO 6 and fuel type like Diesel, Gasoline, GPL, Methane) in order to select only roads that matches the required Low Emissions level.
    Usually the underground parking are not allowed to GPL.
  • GinodicamperGinodicamper Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If Tom Tom can do as suggested, it would be useful throughout Europe especially Italy where there are a lot of low emission zones and the potential for fines of up to 100 euros, and each town seems to issue its own passes rather than the French scheme crit air.
  • cbrfireblade cbrfireblade Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Good Idea Dreamweaver especially as these zones are just another way of ripping off the motorist and just another excuse of getting money out of us.
  • cbrfireblade cbrfireblade Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Just checked Dreamweaver and some garmin devices have Environmental Zone Avoidance in the route preferences. If they can do it why cant tomtom do it.
  • EximiusEximius Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I agree with the idea of setting up in the device your vehicle´s environmental taxonomy (it will surely vary in all cities) in order to warn you about entering a forbidden area and getting a 100 euro fine. In Madrid, after 3 months of adaptation, yesterday they have started fines in "Madrid Central". And in the most critical polution scenarios 3 and 4 (announced by SMS and traffic panels), very few vehicles (hybrid, electric, PHEV and Natural Gas ones) are allowed into most of the city.