Can we still use tomtom after brexit? — TomTom Community

Can we still use tomtom after brexit?

dotcomdandotcomdan Posts: 21 [Master Explorer]
Can we still use or tomtom device in the uk after brexit? I have been hearing that the uk can not use the EU satellite systems we currently use after brexit and that the uk government are working on their own GPS system incase the UK leave without a deal!
How does this affect your UK customers??
What can we expect?

Answers

• MrMMrM Posts: 148 [Exalted Navigator]
    I heard that even the Ferries stop sailing. No more vehicles to and from the mainland. Only people by airplane, mainly Poles and Romanian one direction: mainland -> UK.

All fake news of course .... ;) or is it?
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 9,758 Superuser
    MrM wrote: »
    I heard that even the Ferries stop sailing. No more vehicles to and from the mainland. Only people by airplane, mainly Poles and Romanian one direction: mainland -> UK.
    d050.gif
    Nice idea for April Fool’s Day

Greetings from Germany
    g051.gif

• WhiteSapphireWhiteSapphire Posts: 39 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Well, as I see it, it's "Global Positioning System" - sort of puts it out of Europe's hands, wouldn't you think? So, unless someone is going to erect a few million tons of tin foil to form a "Faraday" shield above the UK, your nav device is still going to receive the same GPS data from the same GPS satellites (which are around 22,500 miles out into space) and still serving the rest of the world, so unless you want to kill off the entire global navigation system, you can't just arbitrarily switch off one country.

Remember the Millenium bug? Or the 2012 "End of The World" scare? etc etc........ Well, we're all still here, and GPS/Sat-Nav will still be here after Brexit.

And anyway, who actually owns the system?......................... ;)