Memory card not recognized by TomTom MyDrive Connect

55htb55htb Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited July 8 in MyDrive Connect
Recently bought a Tomtom Go 60. New updates available include new Europe map which is - typically - too big for the internal memory with the program files as well. Inserted a 32Gb SDHC card which formatted correctly in the satnav and is shown as available memory on the device. Now the trouble starts: when connected to the computer with Mydrive Connect to download the new map to my memory card the Mydrive Connect keeps telling me that there is no memory card present on my device. I have seen a similar thread to this previously, albeit some time ago, which was not resolved. Has anyone got any ideas please. Thanks

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,155 Superusers
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds and see if MDC recognizes the card then.

Next, remove card, format in a card reader as FAT32 (not quickformat) and then put in device for TomTom's formatting. See if MDC works then.

If not, uninstall MDC completely from the computer using the FREEWARE version of Revo Uninstaller. Get it here:
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Then get a fresh copy at tomtom.com/getstarted, install and try again.

I've also seen situations where some brands work, others don't. Further that, while 32 gb cards work in theory, in fact, many don't fit the bill in some aspect. Many find an 8 or 16 gb card by SanDisk as being a good choice.

Lastly, support:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,509 Superusers
    Hi

Also try the SD Card Formatter its better than the on-board Memory Card formatter's.....
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I have the same problem as everyone else has. I inserted a memory card (32GB), the device itself recognises the card, formats it and acknowledges that the card is installed. OneDrive Connect however, does not recognise that a card is installed and suggests that one is inserted.
    Using the SD card formatter utility from sdcard.org is a waste of time. As soon as you put the card back into your TomTom device it will insist on formatting it again anyway. Like everyone else, I am using the cable that came with my device. Seriously disappointed.
    What brand is the card? Try a drum reset on the device and then connect to computer again.

Then start MyDriveConnect and see if the card is recognized.
  • GusterGuster Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yeah, "try a drum reset" is what everyone says. Doesn't work. However, I have cracked it!
    The problem is, if you are updating an existing map which is stored in the device's internal memory, it can only be updated to the same location, i.e. the internal memory - which is not big enough for the update. The software (or rather the software design team) is not intelligent enough to say "ok, lets move the map from the internal memory to the SD card first, and then update it"

SOLUTION
    1. Install a different map (one that you don't really need, so pick a small one) to your SD card. OneDrive Connect will give you the option to pick the SD card as the storage location. We will uninstall this later.
    2. Uninstall the Europe map from your device.
    3. Now we have the option to add the Europe map (rather than just update it). Voila, we have the option to choose SD card as our storage location. This will take a while (for me it was an hour 17 minutes) depending on your internet and computer speeds.
    4. Remove the unwanted map you installed in step 1.

I didn't try, but perhaps you can skip step 1 (and 4) above. I only did this because I assumed the device would insist that at least one map is installed and therefore not allow you to remove the Europe map unless another map was present.
    Thanks for the feedback......and perseverance!
  • WendyfulWendyful Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Guster, that would work if the SD card was RECOGNIZED. It doesnt give me the option to store to my SD card.
    Wendyful wrote:
    Guster, that would work if the SD card was RECOGNIZED. It doesnt give me the option to store to my SD card.

What sized card do you have? 32 gb is the largest Tomtom can handle though I think 16 gb is plenty.

If yours is within that range, try formatting as FAT32 in a card reader and then reinsert into the device to see if things work better now.
  • WendyfulWendyful Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    32gb and ... I formatted it with FAT 32 and nothing. Its rather frustrating. I feel like I have done the drum start a million times.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the Community!

I'd recommend you to reset your device.
    [video]

Cheers, Mikko
  • Mike NewMike New Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I too am having this issue - I don't want to end with a brick without maps so I have kept the memory card (16GB) with the old Europe Maps on to put back if all else fails - which is looking very likely at the moment!

I have reset my device so many times I have lost count.

The device is recognizing the memory card - see screenshot BUT MyDriveConnect does not - yes I have done a full FAT32 format of the memory card (Transcent microSDHC Class 4 16Gb) on my Windows 10 PC (several times but no difference).

This is now getting ridiculous - how long should a simple map update take? - so far I have wasted well over 40 hours and still am no nearer getting it sorted out.

I do not want to install the reduced area mapping on my device as there is not a version that allows 3D buildings in the UK, Spain and Romania which is where I regularly use my device (When it is working)

All I want to do is put the FULL European map - which I have downloaded and deleted far too many times already - on to the SD card in my device as the internal memory is not large enough to handle it - another design defect of the device IMHO.

Interestingly enough theses issues only seem to have manifested themselves once the European map became too big for the device and forced us to insert memory cards.

I will call support AGAIN and see if they can offer any solution although I am not going to hold my breath as so far they have been completely unable to offer anything other than the usual - it's the firewall or your antivirus software - NO it's not I have added exceptions for MyDriveConnect to both, it's your internet speed - NO it's not - my connection is stable, speed is constant and perfectly capable of downloading the map, do a cold restart, delete the HOME3 folder and try again - I have done this so many times I can do it in my sleep - does it work? - NO.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Mike,

According to our logs your map update has failed due to a problem with your SD card. To get your device up and running quickly I'd recommend you to first update your map into the internal memory and leave the SD card out.

Further, I'd recommend you to try another SD card.

Cheers, Mikko
    Mike, try a SanDisk brand card. That brand seems to have the fewest issues with users as far as I can see.
  • yiseliyiseli Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In my case I had to update the device itself first. In fact, when I was trying to update the map, several packages were listed and checked for update, including a internal software update. I unchecked the others (map), did the software update first, then I have been able to update the map on the memory card. Hope that helps!
  • wrpwrp Posts: 16 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Been facing the same problem this week, with customer service being of no help. START 62 system recognizes 16 GB microSDHC FAT32 formatted memory card, but MyDrive Connect does not. I already reset device, uninstalled and reinstalled MDC, but alas...

CS claims that it could be the card or my computer, anything but MDC, which strikes me as false judging by the unstable behavior of MDC (problems starting, failing to connect with nav device at times upon first try, getting stuck during downloads).
    Remarkable how this forum shows that for years customers have been having the exact same issue of MDC not detecting properly formatted memory cards that are recognized by navi devices, yet CS claims that it is extremely rare.

Right now I am trying @yiseli 's and @Guster 's solution, but download is stuck at 100% and "checking". Anyone still care to address this? Thanks!
  • WhiteSapphireWhiteSapphire Posts: 39 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    edited March 6
    Mike New wrote: »
    The device is recognizing the memory card - see screenshot BUT MyDriveConnect does not - yes I have done a full FAT32 format of the memory card (Transcent microSDHC Class 4 16Gb) on my Windows 10 PC (several times but no difference).

Perhaps here is the problem? I doubt that a Class 4 card is up to the task, I personally, use a 16Gb Class 10 'Integral' branded card. It formatted as per TomTom instructions, was recognised by MDC from the word go and runs as sweet as a nut.

Hi

Be Aware...
    Maybe You have a Counterfeit Micro SD Card ???
    There are lots of Videos online... How to identify a FAKE Micro SD Memory Card
    Just Google 'Counterfeit Micro SD Cards'

I downloaded the Micro SD Card Test Program 'H2testw' from Softpedia
    The program 'H2testw' checked out as Virus free
    It generates and copies 1GB files to the card until the card if full + Checks the Read/Write speed
    https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml

Luckily all my cards check out OK

Use the above at your own discretion...

ATB YFM

The problem is, if you are updating an existing map which is stored in the device's internal memory, it can only be updated to the same location, i.e. the internal memory - which is not big enough for the update. The software (or rather the software design team) is not intelligent enough to say "ok, lets move the map from the internal memory to the SD card first, and then update it"

SOLUTION
    1. Install a different map (one that you don't really need, so pick a small one) to your SD card. OneDrive Connect will give you the option to pick the SD card as the storage location. We will uninstall this later.
    2. Uninstall the Europe map from your device.
    3. Now we have the option to add the Europe map (rather than just update it). Voila, we have the option to choose SD card as our storage location. This will take a while (for me it was an hour 17 minutes) depending on your internet and computer speeds.
    4. Remove the unwanted map you installed in step 1.

I didn't try, but perhaps you can skip step 1 (and 4) above. I only did this because I assumed the device would insist that at least one map is installed and therefore not allow you to remove the Europe map unless another map was present.

This absolutely worked for me. The card was not recognised. SanDisk 32Gb. After Angola 42mb map was installed the card was recognised by the OneDriveConnect.
    Thanks!
  • anesbittanesbitt Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    My experience with a SanDisk 32G card is that a drum reset fixed this problem - the software worked out by itself that it needed to delete the original map from internal memory and install the update on the memory card.
    Hi
    @Bepec

Tomtom are now offering a small (Local) Map to your Account to fix the problem
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card

I've been using a small UK&ROI map to to pad out the memory on my NAV4 devices for years... I hate the 3D Building, But back then, if there was enough space on the device to install the full Europe Map, MyDrive Connect would not allow the option to install the Full Europe Map (Without 3D Building)
    I purchased the small UK&ROI map to pad out the Memory on my NAV4 devices, then MyDrive Connect would allow me to install the Full Europe (Without 3D Building) onto a 16GB Micro SDHC Memory card (I never bothered to update the UK&ROI Maps, just used them for padding)

ATB YFM

I think deep formatting is essential, light or quick formatting will not be enough.
  • lansing77lansing77 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Same problem sd card not recognised, so I put small map of Algeria on device and then went to load Europe map and it immediately recognised card. I was on the point of launching device against nearest wall, so thanks bepec and everyone else for solving problem. I thought I was going mad.
  • cad42cad42 Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
    Hey,

I can't install my lifetime Europe map as internal memory too small. I can't format memory card without a map on the device - sometimes I can see the "routes/maps" choice but can't click it as I get the "no map" error too quickly.

Please add small map to my account. I'll install that to the internal memory, and then I'll be able to set the memory card to "maps", then I can install Europe to the memory card.

It's very annoying that the "smaller map" or "map zones" option is not there. Simply removing 3d building does not make the Europe map small enough for internal memory. All I want is UK, which would be much quicker to install.

Thanks.
    JC.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online67

DougLap
DougLap
DrBakteriusTT
DrBakteriusTT
Glaze
Glaze
kumo
kumo