Stuck on "Choose a Country" screen — TomTom Community

Stuck on "Choose a Country" screen

At startup my TomTom Go product let's me choose language. When I continue to the next screen "Choose a Country" there are NO options and the next button is greyed out.

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,298 Superusers

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.
  • FojFoj Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    dhn wrote: »
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

NO LOCK
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,754 [Elite Voyager]
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Foj

What @dhn said is what I would have said so I would do the following.

Try a different language and see if the same happens again. If that works then I would do the following.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

This will do a full rest not a soft one. Then try and get the setting you want.

Doug
    Hi @Foj

Is it okay now.that you have followed that.
  • FojFoj Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Foj

What @dhn said is what I would have said so I would do the following.

Try a different language and see if the same happens again. If that works then I would do the following.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

This will do a full rest not a soft one. Then try and get the setting you want.

Doug

i tried different language no lock
    and i cant go to settings
    Hi @Foj

It would appear that a call to Customer Support to see if they have any other ideas that they can work you through..

United Kingdom 02079 490 132

Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Doug
  • flyingwelshmanflyingwelshman Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited June 2019
    Any fix for this yet? I have the same I think, one day my device got stuck, followed instructions for a reset, since then, can't get past the Choose a Country screen :-(

Also looks like I have no maps installed when I look in my drive > my content > my maps :-(
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,761 [Elite Vanguard]
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @flyingwelshman
    I had a similar problem. The "Select a Country" screen should be called "Select a Map".
    It's possible you don't have any maps installed on your device, which is why you don't see any "Countries" to choose from.
    Check your device content/maps online, then download and/or update. Maps should then appear as option(s) on "Select a Country" screen on your device.
    You may not have room for a full Europe map on your device, in which case use a UK map to start up the device, then format a memory card from the Settings menu to load additional maps.
    See... This thread
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1644346/#Comment_1644346

Hi
    @Foj

zlv1w93vq3uy.png
    See user 'Steve_in_Kent' Quote above and check your maps....

Check if your Via 52 has 8GB or 16GB On-board Memory

On the early NAV4 devices you were allowed ONE Lifetime pre-installed Map... The early Maps fitted easily onto 8GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB and wont fit....
    You need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)
    You will now have to wait until Monday... Maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocated a small Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper' (Don't remove the small Map)... The Small Map it will enable the device to keep running and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
  • flyingwelshmanflyingwelshman Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for all your help @YamFazMan, Sounds like what I need, I will try to get in touch Monday :-)
  • JamesolJamesol Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I found the solution to my “Choose the country” screen by installing required maps for the Chosen country through computer connection and TomTom program. Once installed I did the DRUM-DRUM reset and was able to go past the “Choose the country” screen.