Migrating user questions — TomTom Community

Migrating user questions

Hi,

Here's a happy GO 740 user who has been forced to migrate to the newer TomTom devices. I am considering a Go 520 wifi, but have questions to be answered first:

1)
I've been trying the GO Mobile app (on iPhoneSE) for a couple to see the newer software. One of my big annoyances is the font size and the amount of icons/text that are hovering over the guidance screen. Especially the (way too) big arrows in the upper part of the screen, covering the map in such a way that you cannot see the route far ahead.

Can this be moved down or even off the map? And be made (much) smaller? I haven't found any setting for this in the current version. Most screens have good an adequate screen resolution and size, why not make use of it?

I still like my old GO 740 where most of the icons and driving info are NOT hovering all over the map.

2)
Second, I've noticed that when I enter an address or lookup a POI on the GO 740, the location is more correct that on the GO Mobile with the same date map. Often the GO Mobile route ends up in a neighbouring street/block, and on the GO 740 it right on the doorstep.

3)
Speedlimits... will they be corrected faster on the newer GO's? In the past it sometime took 2 years before a reported speedlimit was checked and changed in new maps.

4)
The itineraries are still not good as they once were in the GO 740. Kind of strange that such function which was there in almost all TomTom's in earlier generations, take so much time in development nowadays. I guess that most of that time is consumed by too many managers and consultants interfering programmers work??

Regards,
A

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,117 Superusers
    Hi
    @no disclosure
    I use the GO Mobile app on an iPad, although the layout is similar, in reality I don't think it give a true representation of the scale and screen layout of the GO 520 PND
    I would drop into a local retail outlet and get some 'Hands on' time

PS... The 6" devices have the option to vary the size of the text

ATB YFM
  • nodisclosurenodisclosure Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is what I mean: direction icon blocking the view. This should be moved down under the guidance view.
    d0344190-539a-48ac-bda1-01c59d3257e5.png
    Hi
    @no disclosure
    People have been asking for changes to the 'Top Info Bar' since day one of the launch of the NAV4 devices
    I think the screen layout is set in stone, I can't see a change to the layout any time soon

ATB YFM
  • nodisclosurenodisclosure Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    One year has passed... I see nothing much has happend. I've tried a GO 520 from a friend. And after a day I find that it does works better than the GO Mobile app. But again... functions that were standard in older generation devices are still missing in the new:

1- still no ambient light sensor on the newest GO devices.
    2- directions on the top of the screen still cover the far side of the map. Can't be moved downwards.
    3- as an alternative for #2: user adjustable map tilt setting: not available
    4- as an alternative for #2: user adjustable offset of the "automatic" zoom level. Currently only a fixed zoom level is available.
    5- additional direction info when approaching a turn is still displayed very late and without a darker background; the current small white font with thin border makes it less legible against the busy map background. Again... this was better on the old GO 740/940.
    6- itineraries can only have one end-point. Old NavCore versions had multiple end-points (with way points in between) in one itinerary.
    7- And the "Always connected" models still use GPRS 2G modem's, where at least 3G would be more logical. In those countries where TT live services are essential the 2G services have shrunk or even discontinued (Australia). Fortunately there's a smart phone connected option, but still...
    edited March 2019
    Hi no disclosure
    2- directions on the top of the screen still cover the far side of the map. Can't be moved downwards
    I always drive 2D Rotate in direction of travel, so it never bothers me
    People have been asking for changes to the 'Top Info Bar' since day one of the launch of the NAV4 devices
    I think the screen layout is set in stone, I can't see a change to the layout any time soon
    3- as an alternative for #2: user adjustable map tilt setting: not available
    I always drive 2D Rotate in direction of travel, so it never bothers me
    4- as an alternative for #2: user adjustable offset of the "automatic" zoom level. Currently only a fixed zoom level is available
    There are 2 types of Zoom... in the setting Menus
    Zoom into Next Turn (Default)
    Zoom based on Road type (My Choice)
    Plus Zoom off
    There is also Manual Zoom on the Planning & Navigation screens
    Tap on the + & - signs under the Direction of travel Arrow Head cursor

vnokuhutxl52.png
    5- additional direction info when approaching a turn is still displayed very late
    Are you using a Computer voice... The Computer voices have a more comprehensive spoken instruction set
    It's very rare have a problem with spoken or visual instructions
    They are both given with plenty time for safe navigation

bd6aa25f-40df-469b-a5bf-c1f5d681f106.jpg
    7- And the "Always connected" models still use GPRS 2G modem's, where at least 3G would be more logical. In those countries where TT live services are essential the 2G services have shrunk or even discontinued (Australia). Fortunately there's a smart phone connected option, but still...
    +1... The Smart Phone works well on my None Live NAV5 Devices
    2G still OK here in the UK

ATB YFM