GO LIVE 1005 keeps turning off/ freezing/rebooting - Page 5 — TomTom Community

GO LIVE 1005 keeps turning off/ freezing/rebooting

Comments

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Hi @fiwo

Obviously those steps will not work for you unless we created jobs to remove unwanted files on your device.

If you are ready to try these steps then please let me know so I can ask the team to create jobs to remove those files from your device..

Regards
    VIkram
  • fiwofiwo Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hi VikramK.
    Thank you, I will be able to deal with the problem on PC and device from 3 pm Spanish time. Hope this is OK?

Best regards
    Finn
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @fiwo

Thanks for your cooperation..

We have created jobs for your device..

Please follow the steps as suggested in my comment here:

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1625302/#Comment_1625302

@yellone

I have created jobs for you as well..

Could you please also try the steps in my comment link above..

Thank you... / Vikram
  • fiwofiwo Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hi VikramK.
    I have tried to do as you suggested in the link:

Initially, the device could not connect to the PC, it hung in a loop where it turned off and on and said "waiting for valid GPS signal".
    But, after a few minutes, it connects and starts downloading to PC, and reaches 23% before the connection is broken and I am told "connect to the device".

The device is in black for a few minutes before it suddenly starts with the TomTom logo on the left side - without drum sound, but it is still not connected to the PC.

It then goes in black again without anything happening, there is only a small square that lights up in the left upper corner for a period of time before the whole screen is black again.
    Then the small squares stand and light for a long time (many minutes) before yhe device suddenly switches back on, while there is "waiting for valid GPS signal" message on the device.

This time it does not download anything (stands at 0%), but suddenly breaks and says that everything unfortunately was not downloaded as wanted and with the recommendation to go to "my content".

Then black screen again with small light square in the left upper corner for 10-12 minuttes and then TomTom logo on the left (without drums). After a short time the Device Connects to the PC again (with the message "waiting for valid GPS-signal" and I start to download what is waiting. It reaches 34% and then the Device is out of Connection again.

Then black screen again with a small light square in the upper left corner - and after some few minuttes it Connects again to the PC and the download starts at about 79% anf stops at 93% because the Connection has stopped again….

And a New black screen with the small ligt square - and after about 5-6 minutes the Connection is back and it reaches 100%.

But then it has to start the update on the Device and it says 22 minutes to finish but it does not exceed 0% before the Connection is down again.

The Device starts up again after a short while and MyDrive Connect says it waits for the Device.
    It has turned on and off the Connection 3 times now, but not got any further…

That's my situation now - MyDrive Connect says it is updating the Device, but it is waiting for Connection with the Device.

Looks like it stops here?......
  • AtoZAtoZ Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Sods law hit me big time, my Go 1005 worked perfectly until on my way to a funeral last week with the sister and niece of the deceased in the car. It directed me for some unknown reason to London city airport then bricked in the same way as all the others mentioned here.

I live on the south coast, the Funeral is in East London, somewhere I last drove around when they were building Canary Wharf. We got there eventually using dead reckoning and stopping to ask for directions when we could and arrived about an hour late, missing the service and as the driver I couldent even have a swift one to drown my sorrow!

After reading that this is a TomTom generated problem that they seem to have tried to wriggle out of I got mad enough to think about calling my solicitor.

Before that, I jumped to the end of the thread and looked at thge VikramK post......Tried it and connected it after restarting as suggested by John, for the first time since I got back it actually connected to the PC, an automatic download started and it now appears to be working again.

I have now read that the Go 1005 will no longer be supported from Feb 2019.

Do I care?
    No I'd rather a working out of date sat nav than an updated one which left two women weeping uncontrollably in my car.

Will I be spending £200+ on another Tom Tom?
    No
  • JohnstJohnst Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Update GO LIVE 1005 / GO LIVE CAMPER & CARAVAN problems.

With the installation of the last map EUROPE CAMPER V10.25 release date 1/2019 the problems are not resolved.

After installing the map, the startup problem was back.

With the described trick I was able to make contact with the computer again.

I have further discovered that if the software goes wrong, the software itself will be destroyed.

The only possibility is to start a recovery procedure and then carry out the trick.

gr,
    John
  • jwwscd_un21jwwscd_un21 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Johnst wrote: »
    OK
    I will tell you how I have succeeded:
    - hold the start button until drum sound is heard.
    - wait 10 to 20 seconds
    - press the start button again to switch off
    - briefly press the start button again
    repeat until the device starts normally

When the device has started:
    - connect the device directly to the computer
    - download a smaller part of the map (not as usual the entire map)

gr,
    John
    Hi johnst, I have tried this umpteen times, also the instructions shown in your video - which are quite different - but nothing seems to work.

I'll phone TT tomorrow and see if they can do a map push or whatever it's called.

• HarleydeeHarleydee Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Just been told that apparently as the map update was "free" we load it at our own risk !! if we had paid for it then TomTom would be liable. Nice one TomTom :( grr, anyone know a motoring journalist who would like to do an article on this ? it could potentially effect any model user and us if we upgrade to a new satnav when downloading free map updates. We could be left high and dry again if their map update causes problems once the device warranty has expired.
  • john942sjohn942s Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have exactly the same problem with my GO LIVE Camper & Caravan. I updated the device late January before a trip, if only I'd left it alone!
    After many hours I have "fixed" my Go Live 1005 :)
    This is how -
    As stated in this thread, when the satav boots it seems to check the map file before launching the application, If the map has errors it does not boot. Mine was "hanging" on the startup picture when booting then after 3-5 minutes it re-booted and hung again, which all points to a faulty map file.

The computer would not connect to the satnav at all.

I found that if i tapped the screen with my finger after switching on the satnav it distracted the software from the map checking and the Tomtom application booted, but unfortunately it hung and after a while it rebooted again.

I also found that if the computer was plugged in and running My Drive Connect it connected to the satnav briefly until the satnav rebooted. It connected long enough to initiate the download of the new map from Tomtom to the PC.

I then I waited untill the map was on the PC and followed the above procedure to allow the PC to connect to the satnav. After a few connections by the PC it deleted the old, faulty map on the satnav, probably with the intention of then updating it but the satnav re-booted (as usual) but this time when it rebooted it reported that there was NO MAP !! and asked to be connected to the PC to download one.

At that point it transferred the new map from the pc and installed it and all is well.

This procedure is all down to timing and patience but it worked for me.

In a nutshell, distract the software on booting so it launches the application.

As it only last a few minutes before rebooting, connect the PC and download the map.

Wait until the map is on the PC before booting and distracting the satnav again, keep doing this until My Drive Connect has deleted the faulty file and then the satnav will run software to reinstall the downloaded map.
    Harleydee
    I managed to remove the map from my device and install the latest map. But the latest map seems to be no different, because my device is no better, it still keeps rebooting.
    Hi John, Check you have the latest, error free, map. It downloaded the old version first on my satnav, it looks like it may check against your profile if you have no map and down load the last registered one. repeat the procedure till you get the latest version.

To check version, go to settings, me and my device, about my device

My latest is euro_camper_zone 1' v1025.9449

good luck !
    P.S. If anyone thinks that the "Screen Tapping" I mentioned in my procedure is daft, my theory is that as the screen is an input device and it probably has a high priority for the software

Therefore, if the software receives a signal / interrupt from it it stops what it is doing to process it, ie stops checking the map file and runs an input sub routine... just a theory, but work for me.
  • JohnstJohnst Posts: 29 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hello harleydee,
    It looks like you're right.
    I have done some tests in which it appears to be correct.
    Afterwards it is important to load a smaller map.

Perhaps it is possible to write an extensive report, as a Dutchman it is not always easy.
    gr,
    John
    Hi Harleydee,
    SUCCESS :)=):#
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think maybe screen tapping did permit my device to connect to the PC.
    This enabled me to change the map from the Full Europe Map to the Zone 4 map.
    I've checked the version and it's euro_camper_zone 4' v1025.9449, Release date: 1/2019
    So the version is the same as yours, but it's zone 4 rather than your zone 1.
    Is zone 1 the Full Europe map? If not, did you have the Full Europe map loaded when your device first stopped working?
    I'm not convinced that Tom Tom have revised the map since I downloaded the Full Europe map at the end of January and my device stopped working.
    What is the release date on your current map?
  • jwwscd_un21jwwscd_un21 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Harleydee - thank you so much for your post above recommending tapping the screen to distract the map check. After many attempts, it worked for me, and it said No maps.

I then had considerable difficulty loading on a map - MyDrive connect would tell me all was well, the device would say Ooops.....

I'm not entirely sure what worked. I tried all sorts of approaches: emptying the cache folder, rebooting both computer and device, redownloading MyDrive Connect, repairing the map, downloading the map..... All again and again.

I eventually had success a couple of attempts after disabling the drop-out of power to USB hub if not being used so I have to assume that was significant.

To turn off auto suspend of USB power, while TT is updating -
    Power Options > [select Always On, Change Plan settings] > [Click Change Advanced Power Settings] > [Select Always on in dropdown] > USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > Plugged in (select Disabled).

I should also have mentioned that the content1 file in the cache folder ended up being over 4.2GB (for Zone6 map) so that's obviously where the downloaded map is stored. Knowing that in future I'll be able to abort the updating of the device if there's no sign of the map in the folder, saving a good 30-40mins each attempt. (Tho please God I never have to go through this again!)

Many thanks to all for the help.
  • Roger2504Roger2504 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have had exactly the same problem. After reading the various suggestions here I tried a partial reset by holding the button and waiting for the drum roll but no good! I then read on and did a Factory Reset using the settings menu on my device. It works and seems to be working faster too. Only two journeys dome since reset so fingers crossed for the future. Thanks for your thoughts folks - much appreciated.
  • GaryL1957GaryL1957 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I’ve been getting reminders on my device advising me to update my map. I got an email today from TomTom also advising me to update my map (I have lifetime updates). I want to avoid ‘bricking’ my device and then having to go through various (possibly complicated and certainly frustrating) procedures to undo this. So, what should I do? Download this map assuming all the problems with it have been resolved? Or download a Zone Map (I think Zone 1 is fine for me at the moment)? Thanks in advance.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,555
    Superuser
    Hi @GaryL1957

What are the first 2 letters of your Models serial number and the total of your internal memory.

Doug
    Hi Doug, the first two letters are ST but I don’t know how to find out what the device’s memory is - can’t see it anywhere. How can I find out please?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    ST= GO LIVE 1005 / Camper & Caravan, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,555
    Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi @GaryL1957

As @dhn says 8gb of internal memory. However you can install a Micro SD Class 10 card from say Sandisk or Samsung, or any leading maker and from a reliable source,.in the extra memory slot. Ideally a 16GB or Max 32GB card.

You should be safe to update your unit with the full map if you have a big enough card installed as then there is plenty of memory capacity when the time comes. Its when you try to squeeze the last KB out of the internal memory disaster is not far away.

When the Map becomes too big for the internal memory it will be loaded onto the External memory and the old map on the internal memory will be deleted. This releases Internal memory which is likely to help operation as the units require some internal memory, about 400mb, to be freely available for operational purposes. If you have less than this the operation can be compromised.

All the best.

Doug
  • darioperezdarioperez Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited March 2019

Hi all.
    I have the same problem with the go live 1005 camper
    it restarts continuously and does not go beyond the blocking screen
    I have followed all the steps I have seen in this thread and I have not been able to solve the problem.
    it stays in a loop, restarting itself and there is no way to connect it to the pc.
    The most I have achieved is to get to the screen of the white letters and then the wheels, but after connecting it to the computer it seems that it is restored but again it is disconnected.
    I have emptied the downloads of Drive but since I can not connect the browser to the PC I can not do anything
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 [Master Explorer]
    Hello!
    I was getting mad with my TT Live 1025 /Camper & Caravan... until I came to this forum.
    Now I know that my suspect about a faulty update by Tom Tom MyDrive Connect was right. There could be space for a class action against Tom Tom, if they will not solve the issue, as they damaged (!) our otherwise working devices.
    And they could be forced to repair or substitute what they broke, I will ask my Consumer Association about this.
    I suggest you do the same in your countries.
    I am a very very very disappointed customer.
    Garmin , look here! We are migrating very soon, if they will not solve!
    Surely Tom Tom is not getting a good fame from this.. it is the worst form of advertising!

Bruno

Thanks Doug and Dhn. I’ll try this later and let you know on here how I get on. One more thing though, was it a fault in the old map update that caused these problems or the fact that the map updates were too big for the memory of the devices?