Not enough room on my device for latest update — TomTom Community

Not enough room on my device for latest update

temptagetemptage Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
I have a GO 51 which up until now has always updated perfectly fine, until I plugged it in to my laptop today. It gave me the available updates, but on clicking the update button it tells me that there is not enough room on my device for the update. I have been through all the options for different maps to choose from, but all of them now have a little yellow exclamation mark next to them showing that NONE of them will now fit on my device. Even the 'Europe without buildings' is too large to be installed. Why is there not an option to remove areas of maps using MyDriveConnect, like there was on TomTom Home?
I bought my satnav in the knowledge that the maps were already installed, but at no point in all the paperwork that came with it did it mention that at some time in the not too distant future it would be unable to be updated because the memory is not big enough, making it obsolete, unless I spend even more money buying a memory card. That wasnt part of the deal when I first purchased the satnav, as it should be useable to at least be able to update the basic map allowance.

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,346
    Superusers
    Well, map information increases over releases and the 'squishing' algorithm used to make maps fit smaller sizes can only go so far.

Get a 16 gb SanDisk sd card to handle map expansion and future maps.
  • temptagetemptage Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    The satnav is no longer fit for purpose as it should at least be able to handle basic updates. Ive only had the satnav for just over a year and they are now saying the only way I can use this is by spending more money on it. That wasnt in the original purchase agreement.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,346
    Superusers
    A new map is hardly a 'basic update'. But nobody puts a gun to your head to force you to update maps.

The one you have on the device currently probably does quite a decent job.

The reality is that all GPS companies have to compete for $$$$$ and the newer devices are hundreds of dollars (or pounds) less expensive than similar models of just a few years ago. So corners are cut to allow that to happen.

The highest end tomtom units today do indeed come with 16 gb of internal memory so the user doesn't have to handle larger maps by paying for a sd card. But that in part is the reason for the additional initial cost of the device. Garmin does the same thing.

But 'not fit for purpose'?? Good luck with that.
  • WhiteSapphireWhiteSapphire Posts: 39 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    dhn wrote: »
    A new map is hardly a 'basic update'.

The highest end tomtom units today do indeed come with 16 gb of internal memory so the user doesn't have to handle larger maps by paying for a sd card. But that in part is the reason for the additional initial cost of the device. Garmin does the same thing.

But 'not fit for purpose'?? Good luck with that.

Quite correct, as I discovered myself. Europe/UK/ROI map currently runs at just under 9Gb and will in time no doubt increase in size as more data is added.

Given the relatively low cost of a 16Gb micro SD card these days it's hardly a major item to buy, and is only one of the accessories you can buy for your nav device, you wouldn't expect to get extra chargers, hard-cases, data leads, screen protectors etc, etc, all thrown in for the purchase price.

One small tip - you can buy after market micro SD cards from a range of local shops/stores, you're not obliged to buy from TomTom, with maps pre-installed.

If you do buy an SD card it will need to be formatted in the nav device, and you will be asked what you want to use the card for - just click on maps so that the card correctly is formatted for that purpose, then at the download and update, you need to select the correct tab "Memory card" as the place for the new maps to be installed. During the map update the old map will be deleted from the device onboard memory, which you can then use for other related purposes (additional voices, routes, map shares, personal settings and so on).

I use an 'Integral' branded card, 16Gb, Class10 - Cost about £10 (About the same price as an 'all-day breakfast' a coffee and and chocolate bar) and it's more than big enough for the foreseeable future.

Best regards,

Sapphire