TomTom Rider - email upgrade offer scam — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider - email upgrade offer scam

Andrew RanfurlyAndrew Ranfurly Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
I own a Rider 2nd edition. TomTom just sent me an email:
"Please note: since TomTom is no longer creating map updates for older devices, all future map updates and device upgrades will exceed the operational capacities of these devices.
To help, we have an exclusive email offer for you on the new TomTom Rider 550!!"

The offers are:
TomTom Rider 550, special deal 10% off: £320
But.. available online for... £302 from motoin

TomTom Rider 550 Premium, special deal 10% off: £400
But... available from most shops for... £400 (and motoin for £389)

Thanks for nothing TomTom. Make a perfectly good satnav obsolete and offer a new one for no discount. Now that's how to treat customers and retain their loyalty!!
I'm off to Garmin..

Answers

• JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    later dude,
    Rider 2 ?? wow, last years model too,

manufacturer offered 10% off, glad you are able to compare pricing, another great feature of the internet.
  • LA7SJALA7SJA Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Why not send an e-mail in september last year and offered a last map sale to all "Planned obsolescence" device owners. I have buying, selling and supporting and installing TomTom devices for a very long time, but from now on it's Garmin & Garmin and nothing but Garmin so help me good. This should go in to history as one off the most offending sales pitch made by a soon to be bankrupt company.

JFG
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,211
    Superuser
    Hi @JoelS.

The Rider 2nd edition is a 10 year plus model not last years.

Doug
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @JoelS.

The Rider 2nd edition is a 10 year plus model not last years.

Doug

really ??? lol i had the 400/40 from day 1, and a rider 5 before that. so fortunately i do know it's not last years gps, its old as heck