Lost voice! — TomTom Community

Lost voice!

Hi all,

If any one can help? - Today I updated everything that was available for my GO 60, including the "Voice update" that was supposed improve the quality of the voices installed on my device, only now I find my favourite/most used voice is no longer present. The voice in question is/was "Serena" (Computer voice, UK English), and was the only voice to read aloud the road names and numbers.

Is this what TomTom call an improvement? Worse still, it's not available to download, either free, or to buy. Does anyone know how to get it back, or if it can be got back?

Come on folks, Serena is my travelling 'buddy' she's guided me all over the place, she's my right hand Ma'm! I've got to get her back onboard!

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,961 Superuser
    Hi @white Sapphire

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard will pick this up and add Serena for you. May be Monday.

Doug
  • WhiteSapphireWhiteSapphire Posts: 39 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for that... I really do need my Serena voice. It's far easier to navigate when you have a street name to look out for rather than simply "In 150 yards, turn right".
  • bigbig Posts: 1,555 Superuser
    White Sapphire, make sure when you look at the list of voices that you scroll UP. I'm guessing Serena is there after all.
    Hi big,

Already did that... Absolutely without doubt, Serena has gone AWOL :'( .

I removed all the none English speaking voices a little while back when memory space became an issue, and made a special point of ensuring Serena was kept, in fact I could quite happily manage with just that one voice.

Sadly, something happened during today's updates and has left me minus my most important travelling companion.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,555 Superuser
    Thank you for following up. Seems like sometimes that girl has a mind of her own :smile:
    Maybe she's gone on a sabbatical? ;)

Just to add interest to this tale of woe. I can no longer use voice control! If I try, all I get is the message "Voice control cannot be used with your display language". I've tried also tried English (United States), English (Ireland) and English (New Zealand), all to no avail.

So it seems that not only have I lost a voice, but also lost voice control at the same time.

Should I buy a Garmin next time? :3
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    Without a computer voice, you will get that error message. Check tomorrow to see if an admin here has added the required computer voices to your account.
    Hi Vikram,

Thanks for that, however I now get a message that says I need to free up some space on my device.

I now have a micro SD card installed, so it looks like I need to move the maps off from the device and onto the card. Given the lateness of the hour, here, I think it best to leave this task to later in the week, but I will definitely try it out in the next few days.

Best regards,

"Sapphire"
    That was handy!

A new map update was ready today, so I installed that on the micro SD, that automatically deleted the previous map from the device and left oceans of room for the lost "Serena" voice. My screen appears bright again (will test in daylight), and all being well, that's a pretty good outcome. :)

I will report back by the weekend.