Why are the update servers so slow? - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Why are the update servers so slow?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    edited March 1
    Hi
    @PHANTOMX0_1

Just updated my GO 6200 to the Full Europe Map v1025
    Virgin Media 110MB/s Map 8.9GB Over USB (Can't be bothered with Wi-Fi)
    Full install and ready to use 25 mins 38 secs (Stop watch)

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Just to add my tuppence worth, last time I updated my GO60, was two years ago, it took around seven hours to download, then about another hour and forty five minutes to install on the device, and from that point on neither PC nor Device (Sat-Nav) would connect to each other.

This year, and armed with W10 and a newer PC, I thought I'd have another attempt, and it actually worked! But took nigh on eight hours from start to finish. I had to delete most of my voices to to make room for the new map (how come the original map fitted without problems and the new one(s) don't?). It lost me my most used voice, and voice control, and my display is now so dim as to be utterly useless in daylight). Today, and armed with a micro SD card, I'm trying again- three hour thirty and counting!

As a bonus, I downloaded a new copy of 'My Drive Connect' a mere 97Mb. That took fifteen minutes to download!! - I can live stream HD video on my broadband, so where's the bottleneck?
    edited February 27
    Hi

Further to GO 6200 Map Update... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1626389/#Comment_1626389

That's better, the load on the servers must be less after the initial rush to update
    Just updated my GO 620 to the Full Europe Map v1025
    Virgin Media 110MB/s Map 8.97GB Over USB (Can't be bothered with Wi-Fi)
    Full install and ready to use 17 mins 22 secs (Stop watch)

ATB YFM

I'm guessing that having the extra storage space makes quite a difference to download speeds? I've installed new map of Europe/UK/ROI and speed camera update, plus, I've reinstalled the missing "Serena" voice, all inside about four and a half hours - vastly improved on previous attempts. In addition, I seem to have a full brightness screen again (of course, the daylight is now fading here) so I can't be sure until I try it out in broad daylight perhaps tomorrow or Friday.

So my advice is, if your device supports it, install extra data storage (micro SD card) if you want to speed things up a bit. :) Store the maps on the card (16Gb minimum), and leave the device onboard memory for everything else. B)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,952 Superuser
    Hi @WhiteSapphire

Regarding your comment that the screen was dim. This can happen if you are connecting your USB cable to a USB socket in the car rather than using the Cigarette Lighter socket unit supplied with your Tomtom. Also some 3rd party Sockets do't supply sufficient power. USB sockets usually only supply 0 .5 amp rather than the 1.5 amp via the Cig Socket. The reduced supply causes the Tomtom units to power down to enable it to work longer . The USB connection does not provide enough power to run the unit and keep the battery charged.

Doug
    Hi
    @WhiteSapphire
    The latest NAV5 (Wifi) devices install the maps more quickly than the NAV4 devices
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download/Upload/Install

My NAV4 devices on a good day 50Mins on a bad day around an Hour

ATB YFM

I'm glad you said that, but, and it's a BIG but, the dim screen issue began about two years ago, after a map update and persisted up to this week - literally.

After re-jigging the maps to SD card, and doing quite a major update of just about everything else, e.g. speed camera data, firmware etc. etc. the dim screen issue is no longer an issue, however, in light of your comment, I tried something interesting in the car. Now, my old motor doesn't have an onboard USB - Not in a twenty year old Volvo! So I use a genuine TomTom dual USB + straight through 12V cigar lighter adaptor, now where it gets interesting is that this adaptor has one USB port marked as "Fast Charge" - If I plug the Nav into the 'normal' USB port, the screen is bright and easily visible in daylight, if I plug into the "Fast Charge" port, the screen is dim and unusable - curious, eh? So there is one interesting anomaly. My guess is that I've been using the "Fast Charge" port over the last two years (Duhh!). To be honest, the adapter is low down in the centre console, and you couldn't read the decals if you had the eyes of a hawk.

On the 'home charger' front, I don't normally use one for the Nav, so I can't really say much on how it would affect the screen brightness, but, tonight I plugged into my Nikon camera charger, and that gives a good bright screen at 550mA rated output, as does an i-phone charger at 1.5A rated output, and the computer's USB ports, whatever they might be rated at.

So, I'm glad you mentioned output currents and chargers, otherwise I might never have had a second glance at the TomTom accessory. I don't recall reading anything in the accessory's user manual, but if not, it would be well worth TomTom's time to add a line or two of text advising the customer not to use the "Fast Charge" port to operate the Sat-Nav device.

Now, would anyone care figure out what is the interaction between the 'device' and the "Fast Charge" port? My level of electronics runs from thermionic devices (valves/tubes) to early transistor and IC.

Smart-Alec charging devices aren't my line.......... :s :3

My best guess would be that there is some form of feedback circuit that enables the "Fast Charge" circuit to put the Nav device into a sort of 'Power Save' mode, allowing it keep functioning whilst the charger gets on with "Fast Charging" the battery, or, possibly that that's the only way the charger is able to offer a "Fast Charge" facility?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,952 Superuser
    edited February 28
    Hi @WhiteSapphire

I suspect there is something wrong with your fast charge socket. Carry on with the socket that works screen wise and maybe use the Fast Charge? socket for you phone as you travel.

USB was invented in 1994 not long before your Volvo was built. =) =)

Doug
    edited March 1
    Hi
    @WhiteSapphire & Doug
    My best guess would be that there is some form of feedback circuit that enables the "Fast Charge" circuit to put the Nav device into a sort of 'Power Save' mode, allowing it keep functioning whilst the charger gets on with "Fast Charging" the battery, or, possibly that that's the only way the charger is able to offer a "Fast Charge" facility?
    Yes I agree there is some form of Power sensing and Power saving going on
    At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1624825/#Comment_1624825

WhiteSapphire is Correct...
    See below... 'Old style Tomtom Highs speed dual port adapter 1.2 Amp'

Copy & Paste from a previous post ....
    it's not just a power thing... Some Car power adapters aren't compatible
    I did a quick test this morning with my Start 60 and a selection of power adapters .....

Standard Tomtom adapter 1.2Amp
    One port... Screen Bright

Old style Tomtom High speed dual port adapter 1.2 Amp
    (With pass though 12v Power Socket)
    Std Port... Screen Bright
    High-speed port... Screen Dull

New style Tomtom High speed dual port adapter
    (With pass though 12v Power Socket)
    High-speed port... (1) Screen Bright
    High-speed port... (2) Screen Bright

Anker IQ Dual port 4.8 Amp across 2 ports
    Port 1 and 2... Screen Bright

Genuine Apple (Ebay fake) dual port 2.1 Amp
    Port 1 and 2... Screen Dull

Dual power adapter 2.1 Amp
    One port... Screen Dull

Maplin Dual port 1.0 Amp
    Port 1 and 2... Screen Dull

Mains powered adapters

Apple iPad 2.1 Amp
    One port... Screen Dull

Chromecast WiFi Audio transmitter 1.0 Amp

Bluetooth Headset Charger 1.0 Amp

Anker 5 port adapter
    Port 1 iPad 2.1 Amp Screen Dull
    Port 2 Samsung Tab 1.3 Amp Screen Bright
    Port 3 iPad 2.1 Amp Screen Dull
    Port 4 iPhone 1.0 Amp Screen Dull
    Port 5 Andriod 1.0 Amp Screen Bright

ATB YFM

That's dial up speed.

Yes, you are right! Tomtom limits your connection speed during the update! Observe your internet adapter statistics during the update!

Antivirus, Firewall stories are totally bullshit!

Another bullshit is the USB ports of the Tomtom devices and most probably they are not USB 2.0!

If the USB ports were V2.0 in the Tomtom devices, the map transfer time could not be longer than 10 minutes max!

There must be unexplained reason to keep the computers online many hours!
  • WhiteSapphireWhiteSapphire Posts: 39 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Hi YamFazMan,

That's some excellent info there, and supports what I thought might be going on. Ironically, it's the absence of an onboard USB in the car that led me to buy the accessory the led me astray! - The single output TomTom charger that came with the Nav device also, as you say, gives a good bright screen.

I will correct one error on my part, and that is the computer USB ports don't give a bright screen, it only appears that way because I am in the relatively low light level indoors, so could it possibly be that when the Nav device detects a data connection, it goes into power saving? Rather than the low output power of the charger (given that my camera charger (genuine Nikon) also gives a good bright screen on its meagre 550mA max output). Or does the extra 50mA really make the difference?
  • John_DorianJohn_Dorian Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I came here to ask a similar question, but i agree the responses seem more like a "it's your fault not tom toms" ... so why bother.

But my internet is not the best, it's satellite, but that's not relevant because i can download form other sites no problem. That may be a contributing factor but Tom Tom needs to update their stuff.

It took me forever to download the TomTom home software. a whole 26 mb file. It wasn't the speed it downloaded fast, but it kept locking up every 3 mb i'd have to pause and resume for it to go again.

FInally got it downloaded. And try to update my device same thing in the TomTom app. It times out every 30 seconds or so which wont le tme update my device.

Ridiculous my internet speeds are fine my latency is horrible. Tom Tom needs to fix their stuff.
  • John_DorianJohn_Dorian Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Finally got my ifrst update done the 24 mb one.... had to abort every time it stopped downloading before it timed out and reopen.. god this is a nightmare and i'm not even got to the point of downloading the maps.

Maybe it's time to switch from TOM TOM to garmin :[ i've been a tom tom fan for years but this is awful
    edited April 4
    Hi
    @John_Dorian

Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

The Computer Manufacturers appear to be setting "USB Selective Suspend" to ON as default
    Especially Laptops, maybe to improve the appearance of the battery life

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

ATB YFM

I've been using GPS for years without issues in updating device and maps. At least not before I started using the Tom Tom Go Wifi 620...udpdates, when it works, takes hours, when it succeds, and sync with wifi is often very problematic... Updating this product is highly frustrating, so much so that I'll be looking to change brand. And to get in direct person to person contact with Tom Tom seems totally unattainable. The flurry of complex and incoherent explanations thrown about on the web require the user to hold a PhD in geekology; a waste of time and effort. Tom sure could put some effort in streamlining useful answers to issues and owning up to it's obligations toward customers.
    Hi
    @Xpert

I have Virgin Media 110Mb/s connection Fibre Optic Broadband ....
    My GO 6200 shows Wi-Fi connection... 72Mb/s
    I chose the 110Mb/s hard-wired connection

I Installed the 9.13GB Full Europe Map over USB with MDC running in the background
    The Map installed and device ready to use... 20 Minutes 15 seconds (Stopwatch)

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 620 normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM

TomTom are just an excuse for a former good product that died some years ago. Now they worship money only, have a more or less useless download system and lifetime maps that do not mean lifetime. Zero integrity and badly managed. The units function fairly well, it's just managing them that is a complete pain and communications that a 5 year old would be ashamed of.
    edited June 17
    Hi
    @hughmoz

What Tomtom Model do you own
    How Fast/Slow/Reliable is you Internet connection....

I have Virgin Media 110Mb/s connection Fibre Optic Broadband....

nh7nrqc8pdym.jpg
    My GO 6200 shows Wi-Fi connection... 72Mb/s
    I chose the 110Mb/s hard-wired connection

I Installed the 9.13GB Full Europe Map over USB with MDC running in the background
    The Map installed and device ready to use... 20 Minutes 15 seconds (Stopwatch)

ATB YFM

Hi
    @usajay
    usajay wrote: »
    3 hours and only 55% done,what is up with that?
    What Tomtom Model do you own
    How Fast/Slow/Reliable is you Internet connection....
    Are you using Wi-Fi or USB + MyDrive Connect

ATB YFM

Purchased on
    Aug 17 2018

I have been using and downloadng on my home wifi since I got it.
    connection is fast and reliable.
    Using WiFi and now it is at 68% done.

• usajayusajay Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    78%
  • usajayusajay Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It is now 10:30 pm and now it is 85% complete.
    edited June 20
    Hi
    @usajay

With your device connected your device to Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

My GO 6200....
    7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

ATB YFM

Finished update 10:55pm
    2.4ghz,link speed 65bps