TomTom Adventurer does not deliver phone / text notifications — TomTom Community

TomTom Adventurer does not deliver phone / text notifications

mingusboodlemingusboodle Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
This is a repeat of an unanswered question erased with the Dec 19th reset.

I have a TomTom Adventurer that no longer delivers notifications to my phone.

The watch is running version 1.7.64.
The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active running Android 7.0.
TomTom Sports is version 10.0.9

They used to work well, together, and I learned to wear my watch regularly to get phone notifications. It stopped working last month, after an update, and I believe the update is the reason for the current error. (I had the exact date in my original post, before the community reset to 19 Dec 2018.)

Notifications will work if I forget the watch and re-pair the devices. After a short time, though (less than an hour, I think), notifications will stop working. In the Sports app on my phone, "All Day heart rate" and "Phone notifications" becomes grayed out and I cannot turn them back on.

Probably related: the Sports app sometimes freezes while syncing with my phone. It says "Tidying up" and shows 100% completed, but it won't go away. Closing and restarting the Sports app does not resolve the problem. I can turn off bluetooth and reconnect the devices; this has temporarily resolved the problem in some cases but not every time.

Looking forward to an eventual resolution. For now, I'd be satisfied if someone could just acknowledge the problem.

Thanks!

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,576
    Superusers
    There has not been an update to the watch since September of 2017 so that is not likely the cause. Has your phone been updated recently? Other users have seen changes to the BT in the phone that has made the watch work erratically. Unfortunately, there is no fix for this as all development on these products stopped over a year ago when TT Sports went out of business. I would try a factory reset or request a roll back to the last good firmware at this link (probably won't help, but you never know):

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/software-version-rollback-requests-battery-issues-runner-spark-watch-series-1030088

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • mingusboodlemingusboodle Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I believe it was actually an update to the Sports app, not the watch. My app was last updated 8 Dec 2018, which is when this issue started. I can't imagine that's merely a coincidence.

The watch was last updated months and months ago, and was working almost perfectly until the Sports app updated in December.

I'm a little confused about the statement that TomTom Sports went out of business. I'm aware that TomTom is stepping back from wearables (which is a shame, I think, because I prefer this watch to anything else on the market), but if they were releasing updates all last year. I assume there's a team still working on it, even if it's not a top priority in the company.
    Superusers
    I believe it was actually an update to the Sports app, not the watch. My app was last updated 8 Dec 2018, which is when this issue started. I can't imagine that's merely a coincidence.

The watch was last updated months and months ago, and was working almost perfectly until the Sports app updated in December.

I'm a little confused about the statement that TomTom Sports went out of business. I'm aware that TomTom is stepping back from wearables (which is a shame, I think, because I prefer this watch to anything else on the market), but if they were releasing updates all last year. I assume there's a team still working on it, even if it's not a top priority in the company.
    There is no team working on it, the entire Sports Division was shut down a year ago. The app is being supported by another Division and all they are doing is keeping up with BT changes as the app is the only way to sync the Golfer watches (otherwise it would likely be dead as well). It may have very well been the change to the app that did it but good luck with seeing it resolved, as they are doing minimal work on it. You should contact Support so they are aware of it but I would not hold my breath on it getting fixed any time soon.

To get in touch with Customer Support, choose Contact Us at the bottom of this page, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Email Us or Chat (there is no longer phone support available for watches).

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • mingusboodlemingusboodle Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for your help. I'm a little sad they're not fully supporting their watches, I think they had a great design. I'm a little surprised they don't monitor these forums.

Have you ever had any luck reverting to a previous version? I think that might solve my problem; it worked almost perfectly before the app upgrade.
    Superusers
    Thanks for your help. I'm a little sad they're not fully supporting their watches, I think they had a great design. I'm a little surprised they don't monitor these forums.

Have you ever had any luck reverting to a previous version? I think that might solve my problem; it worked almost perfectly before the app upgrade.
    You can revert to prior watch firmware, but not to app software as far as I know.
  • HansLoHansLo Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have the exact same problem on my Tomtom runner 3 music/cardio. I was using a Samsung S6 when i startet. Recenty i have upgraded to an S9, but the problem is stil the same. Notifications works for half an hour, then it stops. Turning the BT on the phone off then on, sometimes buy me another half hour, but not each time...

Very fustrating as i like the funktion very much!