Pointer problem

Since updating my TomTom go 520 last week, the pointer is all over the place. Somtimes pointing downwards then sometimes side ways. Does anyone know how to correct this please. Support haven't replied to me emails. I see in some manuals it says go to map rotation but I can't find that in any maps or settings on my 520.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,813 Superusers
    edited February 6
    Hi
    @Rondetto
    Rondetto wrote: »
    Since updating my TomTom go 520 last week, the pointer is all over the place
    It’s not a Compass as such, It's a Direction of travel indicator

It works on exactly the same principal as the one that Captain Jack Sparrow uses to navigate the Black Pearl ;)

When you are driving the small Arrow head chevron, above the plus and minus signs
    points to your Direction of travel

57unx624nk73.png
    If you imagine you are looking at a Paper Map of the World and your located in the UK

The North-Pole.... Is at the top & the arrow points Up................ You're heading North
    The South-Pole.... Is at the bottom & the arrow points Down... You're heading South
    Canada.... Is on the Left (West) & the arrow points Left............... You're heading West
    China.... Is on the Right (East) & the arrow points Right................ You're heading East
    And obviously, all points of the compass in between, as in the example
    Greenland.... Is halfway between Up and Left & the arrow points 45 degrees between Up/Left
    The arrow is pointing 45 degrees Up/Left............ You're heading North West

ATB YFM

Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Un Petit Clic sur j'aime ça coûte rien et ça fait plaisir

PAS DE J'AIME Si vous acceptez la réponse
  • RondettoRondetto Posts: 12 [Legendary Explorer]
    That hasHow do I fix this?
    edited February 10
    Hi
    @Rondetto
    That has How do I fix this?
    If your post is refering to the Direction of travel indicator circled in red below

lvsm3tz2jic1.png
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1623341/#Comment_1623341

ATB YFM

Right, since I updated my sat nav last week. The maps have been upside down and sometimes sideways. The pointer is haywire too. I have restarted it e few times hoping it would solve it but it hasn't.
  • NJFRNJFR Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Right, since I updated my sat nav last week. The maps have been upside down and sometimes sideways. The pointer is haywire too. I have restarted it e few times hoping it would solve it but it hasn't.
    exactly same thing today, only works well with a destination started, when not using that it is either downwards or sidewards and useless to look at while driving

YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Rondetto
    Since updating my TomTom go 520 last week, the pointer is all over the place
    It’s not a Compass as such, It's a Direction of travel indicator

It works on exactly the same principal as the one that Captain Jack Sparrow uses to navigate the Black Pearl ;)

When you are driving the small Arrow head chevron, above the plus and minus signs
    points to your Direction of travel

57unx624nk73.png
    If you imagine you are looking at a Paper Map of the World and your located in the UK

The North-Pole.... Is at the top & the arrow points Up................ You're heading North
    The South-Pole.... Is at the bottom & the arrow points Down... You're heading South
    Canada.... Is on the Left (West) & the arrow points Left............... You're heading West
    China.... Is on the Right (East) & the arrow points Right................ You're heading East
    And obviously, all points of the compass in between, as in the example
    Greenland.... Is halfway between Up and Left & the arrow points 45 degrees between Up/Left
    The arrow is pointing 45 degrees Up/Left............ You're heading North West

ATB YFM
    so how come in my wifes car i can drive across europe and the road & car icon always points in the same direction (in front), just the map rotates, on her car TomTom you can be driving south but the car icon remains pointing straight ahead, just the compass icon in the bottom left shows you that you are travelling south, the map doesn't turn the other way around on that tomtom, but seems to do that on the new one which is useless and strange to be honest
    mine looks like this or goes across, the side icon should do the rotating yb9umfpno4ha.png
    not the main map and car icon ? the car going sideways or downwards while driving is very off putting etc
    edited February 15
    Hi
    @NJFR
    @Rondetto

Ahhhh... As they say a picture is worth a thousand words....

b58bsz82x33y.png
    The screen selection shown in the image in your post shows the flat & squat direction of travel Icon for the North-up overview Map

fqlm69vj3our.jpg
    Simply tap on the direction of travel Icon to toggle between the default 3D driving view and the North-up overview Map

gl6wxx0zfdbo.png
    The default 3D driving view direction of travel Icon is more pointed

Have you by any chance turned off automatic Map switchng in the Settings menus ???... because unless you are manually Tapping the direction of travel Icon the device should automaticity change to the default Driving view when the vehicle reaches approximately 12 MPH
    Default Driving view is 3D
    Note... In the setting menu the default driving view can be changed to either 3D or 2D in direction of travel

ATB YFM

More info on Automatic Map Switching
    Automatic Map Switching happens at both the Start and End of you journey
    With Automatic Map Switching turned on (Default) the device automaticity changes to the Driving view when the vehicle reaches approximately 12 MPH and Automaticity switches to the North-up Overview Map on reaching your destination

Also at the end of your journey
    Automatic Route Clearance Rules (As far as I recall)
    (1)… When you arrive to destination the route will be cleared (Inside a 50m radius)
    (2)… When the last known location is less than 400 meters from your destination AND it has been more than 120 minutes since the user suspend/turn off device, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.
    (3)… When the user suspends the device for more than a week, the route will be cleared automatically on the device.

Maybe useful... In the Setting menu
    You can turn off the automatic Map switching to the North-up overview map

With "Automatic Map Switching" turned off when you arrive at your destination the device will continue using your chosen navigation screen to show your present location...

ecdc5dcc-1ec2-4a20-a5f5-abdfe1209080.jpg
    Note... you may need to tap the Plus Icon button (Situated Under the 'Direction of Travel' Icon) a couple of times to zoom in for the map detail
    (At least it stops the the Map switching to the North-up overview map with a zoom level view like the view from International Space Station)

Setting-up... From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance....
    Turn off Automatic Map view switching
    Tap Blue arrow head Icon ( > ) top right on screen to exit

But unfortunately this has an effect to both ends of the journey.....
    If you have turned off Automatic Map view switching
    Now whenever you have planned a route, you will have to tap the "Lets Go" banner or the "Direction of travel Icon" the arrowhead above the plus and minus buttons
    To switch to your chosen navigating screen
    The Map does not switch at either the start or the end of your journey

There are also three options for the Zoom function.....
    (1)..... Zoom into next turn
    (2)..... Based on road type... I prefer the zoom set to 'Based on road type'
    (3)..... None
    From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Automatic zoom....
    Choose the required option
    Tap Blue arrow head Icon ( > ) top right on screen to exit

ATB YFM