TomTom 'MyDrive' - Postcode changes to search results

2»

Comments

• krskipp
    krskipp Registered Users Posts: 52
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Now got about half a dozen one star reviews on Android in the last 24 hours or so. Same cut and paste response to all of them, acting like they're unaware of the issue even though it's been doing it on the actual website browser version for ages.

Roll the update back and do NOT update the software on our actual SatNavs until you get this issue sorted....not rocket science. How this issue has been missed in even casual testing is beyond me...but the rate at which they're getting 1 star reviews it may spur them into action.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,325
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Stairman
    Stairman wrote:
    Mine did this at about 15:00 today, before that it was ok, very frustrating now as having to use Waze, if not sorted will have to ditch Tomtom and go Garmin, as a service engineer I rely on it all the time.
    I tried re-installing my drive, even trying to find an earlier version but no success.
    If this doesn't change back I will end up selling my 6000 and getting another make.
    This thread is about the MyDrive Web (v2) route planner search engine
    And apparently, now the latest Tomtom Android App ???

Your GO 6000 should still be OK
    Have you by any chance changed the Search engine on the GO 6000 to the 'Step by Step' search option ???
    With the exception of the Start 42/52/62 Range, all of the remaining NAV4/5 Ranges have two search options the 'Step by Step search' and the superior 'Quick search'
    At the moment there is a problem using 'Step by Step search' searching for Postcodes without a Street/Road address

Try... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) -> Settings -> System -> Choose a search mode... Choose the superior "Quick Search" Option

ATB YFM
  • Stairman
    Stairman Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi yamfazman
    Not got a problem with the 6000, its the my drive app, i used to put a postcode in and send it to 6000, now all it does is pick out the nearest buisness which is no good.
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,151
    Superuser
    @Daniel Fornies Soria

So what is the estimated time scale for a fix?
    Is it
    1. days?
    2. weeks?
    3. months?
    4. years?
    By the way it must be one of the above
  • Dear Niall and everyone affected by this issue,

We have been working hard and just released a fix in our search engine, which should mitigate the issue where POIs where being shown upfront while searching for some postcodes.
    This fix should be available on all platforms (web and recent enough installs for iOS and Android).
    From now on, you should be able to see again addresses on top while searching by postcode.
    We are truly sorry for the inconveniences this has caused. We had changed the entire search engine, and this regression came costlier to fix than anticipated.

Certainly, we would like to get some further feedback from you on this and on overall search, so we can continue improving the experience and fix outstanding issues.

Best Regards,
    The MyDrive Team.

PS: On MyDrive Web, one of the improvements of the new search mechanism, is that it will be constantly updated if you simply type something in the input box, and then start moving the map. Pressing the enter key should move the map to fit both the current location and the first search result.
  • krskipp
    krskipp Registered Users Posts: 52
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Nope...something has changed but it's still not working. Sometimes shows the address, but other times doesn't. Sometimes appears to depend on how the postcode is formatted....

Eg. If I put in TS170XP it shows a list of addresses but not the right one....but if I add a space at the end it suddenly shows the address.

If I put in W41SY it shows an incorrect address a mile or so away (A315 hounslow) no matter how I put it in. No matter whether i put in spaces or not. Although by coincidence it shows some business addresses that share the postcode...but still not working properly.efc89734-cacc-4319-86f3-229212fd6120.png9d0907b1-42d9-4262-94e7-f68d1b17982f.png0b72ef17-911d-48e7-9b80-1ddd48147fb6.png
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,325
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Daniel Fornies Soria
    The postcode for my Home address gives the correct Road Name and location as the first entry the search results

BUT postcode and a house number or a house number and a postcode
    only give a result for 50% of the 33 house numbers for my street

Daniel... You have private mail with the details

I lke the way the Map zooms in and focuses onto the postcode/address

ATB YFM
  • Fireman Sid
    Fireman Sid Registered Users Posts: 6
    Master Explorer
    TomTom - what on Earth have you done to the Mydrive web portal!!! The postcode search is 'better' than it was but it is a total lottery as to what it brings up.

I've tried out known post codes and 9 times out of ten it gives me roads that are 'close' but often still several miles away. If I then manipulate the map the results offered keep jumping around giving different clusters of flags (all still not the road I actually want) until eventually I get to the correct level of zoom and map location and only then does it give me the correct location and I can select it.

Why the hell should I have to keep moving the map around like some sort of electronic luck dip until eventually the correct location appears?

If I want to go to a specific post code put that location at the top of the search list straight away....no ifs, no butts, no may be's.

WHY DO TOMTOM NOT UNDERSTAND THIS VERY SIMPLE REQUEST FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS?
  • Jakelepeg
    Jakelepeg Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Traveler
    I agree, I have the same problems as others here are having. I drive for a national fleet Hire firm and this is causing no end of problems. The app worked fine before it was "upgraded", I want a particular post code not a lot of random companies. I cannot even get the correct company out of the list offered by the Iphone app, its a complete nonsense, please downgrade the app as it worked perfectly before. If it ain't broke don't fix it seems to apply here.
  • TeeJayBee
    TeeJayBee Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Traveler
    Well, 5 months on (at least) and still not fixed.
  • bry25
    bry25 Registered Users Posts: 18
    Master Explorer
    [h3]Surely THIS should be a priority fix????????[/h3][h3]
    [/h3][h3]
    [/h3][h3]On Ipad mydrive app :[/h3]
    [h3]Ver 1.13.0 is the problem!!! "improved search"????????[/h3]No, its now screwed!!!!!!!

[h3]
    [/h3][h3]Version History[/h3][h4]1.13.0[/h4]
    • Nov 20, 2017
    • - Improved search: When you search for destinations, the app now gives faster, more relevant results, and handles typos much better. Also addresses and points-of-interest are now combined into one clear list of search results.
    • - Improved POI handling: When you add a point-of-interest to a route, the app now displays and stores its name instead of its address.
    [h4]1.12.1[/h4]
    • Oct 2, 2017
    • Bug fixes and improvements.
    [h4]1.12[/h4]
    • Aug 30, 2017
    • - TomTom Road Trips: Discover the best driving roads hand picked for you by TomTom.
    • - Multi-vehicle routing: Get customised routes for cars, motorcycles, and trucks.
    • - Thrilling routes: Pick the level of windiness and hilliness.
  • TeeJayBee
    TeeJayBee Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Traveler
    It appears that, in some cases, the browser-based version of mydrive is incapable of resolving more than the first four characters of a GB postcode:

5de9e5d6-5610-45d8-8787-4cfcff51c967.png
  • bry25
    bry25 Registered Users Posts: 18
    Master Explorer
    its not so much the browser version thats causing my issue,as i rarely use it. its the Ipad version. before the update to v1.13.0 it was great. (v1.12.1) worked perfectly.
  • Fireman Sid
    Fireman Sid Registered Users Posts: 6
    Master Explorer
    A polite message to 'The MyDrive Team' - PLEASE RESPOND.

So far there has been no 'official' response from TomTom since the 21st Dec.

Let me ask some direct and simple questions....
    1. Do you acknowledged that the postcode search does not work on the web portal?
    2. Is this issue being investigated with the aim of getting it resolved....not with a fudge, not with a sticky plaster...but actually 100% fixed?
    3. How long is this expected to take, days, weeks, months or years?
    Stop hiding and start listening to your customers.
  • Jakelepeg
    Jakelepeg Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Traveler
    Come on TomTom support team, your deafening silence is reducing your credibilty to a whole new level. You had a great product please put it right as its hopeless now.
  • Dave8472
    Dave8472 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Explorer
    CatNip wrote:
    Dave8472 wrote:
    Hi, ME13 9QS was the last post code I had trouble with, working fine in Google Maps, and used to work in My Drive, also CT4 6NG. Most of my post codes I go to are rural address
    CT4 6NG - Tried that in Mapcode. Interestingly there were no roads shown, just a blank map, until you zoomed out. Very rural!

It seemed to be off the tracks somewhere near both Wingmore and North Eltham, between Canterbury and Folkestone. However, in satellite view it was centered on what looked like a farmhouse at the end of a long track at mapcode TZH.LBV

ME13 9QS - Another large house, or clubhouse off Newhouse Lane between Sheldwich and Selling. Mapcode SWH.ZNV

As the latest Mydrive doesn't do mapcodes (apparently) you could until fixed (!) possibly try using the Mapcode map to search on the postcode, address etc. and then copy and paste the GPS coordinates from Mapcode into MyDrive to send to your on air TomTom.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still use Google to pull off a Lat/Long and copy that in to MyDrive, but if you accidentally leave a space at the end it sends you somewhere else. The other day I had to drive until I had a phone signal, do a google earth search to find where I was and mess about putting the nearest landmark that was a school and then work out where I was going from there. Wasted 20 mins driving around trying to find my destination. Just to clarify, yes everywhere I go is out in the sticks as I metal detect, and some of these farmers live in remote locations.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,533
    Hello all

We asked the MyDrive Team to share some updates on post code search.

The post code search has been improved but there is scope for more improvement.

The team is now aware about this and we will be working on it in order to improve it further.

I will continue to share any updates going forward.

Thank you and regards
    Vikram
  • EnZiGuRi
    EnZiGuRi Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    After 6 months i still cant type coordinates using mydrive android app. If i type coordinates it only show some adresses near coords i type, but not the exact destination. It also show the distance from the coords on that adresses. But sometimes the nearest adress is 500m away.
    Do TomTom knows when it will be fixed?
    Im tired of TomTom. Will not buy it again if my GPS die. Google maps is much better right now and is free!
  • PrivateerUK
    PrivateerUK Registered Users Posts: 398
    Supreme Pioneer
    Thanks for the suggestions. I still use Google to pull off a Lat/Long and copy that in to MyDrive, but if you accidentally leave a space at the end it sends you somewhere else. The other day I had to drive until I had a phone signal, do a google earth search to find where I was and mess about putting the nearest landmark that was a school and then work out where I was going from there. Wasted 20 mins driving around trying to find my destination. Just to clarify, yes everywhere I go is out in the sticks as I metal detect, and some of these farmers live in remote locations.
    Like Dave8472, most of the places I go to don't have an accurate post code or are not easy to find on a SatNav. I've found the best way to get an accurate location (i.e. the nearest that I can drive to on a road which is known to the SatNav) is to use Google Maps, Satellite View, and Street View and then copy the coordinates to a master list (Excel spreadsheet) from which I can create POIs. This is the reason why we need to have custom POI support (and show the icons on the screen) on all platforms of the current TomTom range. You currently still cannot import POIs into the iOS GO Mobile app!

If you want to see how to get a POI master list to create a URL to show your custom POI on the web based MyDrive then have a look here:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/building-a-url-for-showing-a-marker-on-the-mydrive-map-1036174

This allows me to get accurate directions to the very location that I have selected.

Regards,
  • EnZiGuRi
    EnZiGuRi Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Any news about typing exact coordinates on mydrive Android app? It stills give locations around the coords instead of exact location. Sometimes nearest shown location is 400M away from the coords!!!
    Im almost leaving tomtom because of this issue. Tomtom stills not show any interest of making It work again to not lose customers.
    Coordinates are supposed to be exact locations (not multiple locations like It is now)