TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Slow download and update times

RichcnzRichcnz Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 27 in MyDrive Connect
I'm sorry if this has been answered already. But, does anyone else suffer update times that are so slow that you'd have to see a photo to believe it?
I mean, I have just started updating my go500 with the new v1010 map and have started at over 100hrs to complete.
What is going on Tomtom? Can this be fixed? Last update took almost a week of leaving my computer running with the satnav attached.
Please, anybody, some help would be nice.07ce1d41-8187-4b5a-8ae0-84ba94050dbf.jpg

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,939 Superusers
    Hi
    @Richcnz

How Fast/Slow is your internet connection speed ???
    Try the 'Which' broadband speed test....
    https://broadbandtest.which.co.uk/

Here's a handy online download Speed/File Size/Time calculator....
    http://www.download-time.com/

The Europe Map for my NAV4 GO 5000 = 7.444 GB
    My fibre Internet Connection = 110Mb/s (Speed Test check)

Using Stopwatch to time Download Only The Europe Map... 9 Mins 48 Seconds
    Results from the download Speed/Size/Time calculator........ 9 Mins 41 seconds

aa4959a3-868d-4008-bdc0-76123997fcdc.png
    The full Download and Install, device ready to use 56 Mins 26 seconds

NAV5 GO 520/620 (Wi-Fi)... My Wi-Fi over Virgin Super Hub 40mb/s
    So I updated Full Europe Map v1005... Over USB... 24 Mins
    The NAV5 Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download then Upload/Install

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I have the same experience and only with Tom Tom. My download speeds are 75 Mbs and upload 20 Mbs. The Tom Tom servers are so slow it is unbelievable. It has taken several hours to get precisely nowhere. Unacceptable. Maybe time to switch to Garmin.
  • colehillcolehill Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I also have problems with slow downloading and updating. I have raised several support tickets with TomTom and get the same platitudes in response. They blame my internet connection, my anti-virus software, my computer, my wi-fi connection - anything other than the abysmal speed of their own servers. I have switched from the hybrid laptop to the desktop and from wi-fi to wired internet - and it made no difference. I upgraded from a VIA 135 to a Go 5100 - and it made no difference. The hybrid laptop has Avast Business A/V and the desktop computer has Sophos - it makes no difference. I have an FTTC internet connection which averages something like 27Mb/s - but today's update is currently showing 13% complete with 6 hours and 10 minutes remaining.
  • more-unimpressedmore-unimpressed Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I TOTALLY AGREE My Drive Connect updates are pants!! - I dont know what TOM TOM are doing - I have wired internet connection with ~40MB download speed and IT TAKES HOURS. This is about the 8th time I have updated over a period of 5years and its ALWAYS been painful...... This time mIne's just sitting there "Getting Ready" since about 2hours ago !!!
    PLEASE SORT something out...
  • DiarmuidLeeDiarmuidLee Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Again, had loads of issues downloading updates. So much so, I could not do it in time to take on trip, as I only managed to delete the loaded maps. Terrible update times, so much so I prefer not to update. I have fast broadband (fiber). File from TOMTOM takes all day. Movie from SKY or APPLE, few minutes. Starting to hate the device...
  • owlcritic1owlcritic1 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    The update times are horrendous!
    The latest started with 92 hours! True it did not take that long but it did take all of 9 hours, which is ludicrous nevertheless.
  • pauldtpauldt Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hello folks,

I had this slow (200hr) download issue also, I managed to fix it as follows:
    • Exit the MyDrive Connect software.
    • Navigate to the cache location on your PC where downloads are stored (e.g. C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\TomTom\HOME3\cache)
    • Delete all the files therein
    • Restart MyDrive Connect (update resumes)
    Obviously YMMV. I'm not in any way suggesting that this is a silver bullet solution that will work for everyone, but for me, this did the trick.

HTH
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,939 Superusers
    edited March 29
    Hi

On the rare occasions that I have problems with MyDrive connect
    I delete the HOME3 and MyDrive Connect folder from within MyDrive Connect...
    Note... As the Cache will be deleted, the Map/s etc... will need to download them again

On the NAV4 Devices, with the latest MyDive Connect....
    You CAN stop the DOWNLOAD of the update to your PC
    But
    You CAN'T Stop/Clear the Updating process to the device once its has started

If you have installed MyDrive Connect to the default location using Windows 10
    It's located here... C:\Users\"Your Computers Name goes here"\AppData\Local\TomTom\

If you delete the Home3 and the Mydrive Connect Folder it removes the Cache Folders & Contents, Prefs.ini, cookies.ini. Logs and Configuration.xml files and and force a reload of the Cache Data
    A new Home3 and MyDrive Connect and their contents are created fresh the next time you use MyDrive Connect
    You will have to login again, as if you had just installed MyDrive Connect

Method…..

(1)... Disconnect the SatNav from the PC and reset it by holding down the off button for 20 secs until you hear the ‘drumbeat’ release the button
    (2)... Opening ‘Run’ on the PC (click on the windows symbol bottom left – type ‘Run’ in the search box to open ‘Run’.
    (3)... Type into the ‘run’ box %localappdata%/TomTom
    (4)… Press Enter... A new window opens, delete the Home3 and MyDrive Connect folders
    (5)... Close all windows
    (6)... Turn on the SatNav and reconnect it to the PC and open ‘My Drive Connect’
    You will have to login again, as if you had just installed MyDrive Connect
    Or
    Method…..
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it helps)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect (Without your device connected)
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'