Complaint regarding traffic information — TomTom Community

Complaint regarding traffic information

stubrunstubrun Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
I have a TomTom start 50 satnav. I always keep it up to date with the latest versions of software/maps. I bought it with a "dongle" so that I could receive traffic information while driving. On 04/01/19 I was driving through Sheffield, not knowing the city too well I was using my satnav to navigate home. The satnav gave directions to proceed along Ripley St and turn left onto Langsett Rd. It transpires that the section of Langsett Rd I drove along is a bus/taxi only lane between the hours of 15:00-17:00 Monday to Friday and I received a bus lane violation notice/fine as the time was recorded as 15:24! I am extremely annoyed by this as I believe TomTom should have supplied traffic information to inform me the bus lane regulation was in operation but it didn't - the instruction given was turn left onto Langsett Rd. The satnav ought to have given me an alternative route. So TomTom is I believe somewhat to blame for me incurring this fine and being a pensioner with only a meagre state pension as my sole means of income it is an expense I can ill afford

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,568 Superuser
    @stubrun

Sorry to say, but you should have been looking out for the signage, as it clearly say the it is buses only 3-7 pm, not just solely relying on your GPS device.
    fcf8d825-f9d1-4b88-85d7-fc85917e164f.png
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • LC123LC123 Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi

To be fair to the driver if you are in a strange place and using sat-nav, it's easy to miss signs such as these, and often the signage isn't repeated. Look at the image above, nothing on the traffic lights themselves at the actual turn, a place you would be looking and so would see it! These fines generate a revenue for someone of course, so I will let the readers draw their own conclusions.

To the original poster, if you go here https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/ you will be able to flag this road and add details of the correction to make in the hope TomTom will update their maps in a timely fashion (no guarantee of that!), but it may help someone else in the future.
  • BFG_BFG_ Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I sympathise.

Many councils are resorting to using blue Information signs for what should be red border signs, as a way of making money out of motorists.
    Coventry was the last place I got caught out by this.

The councils are very much unethical in this respect, but it's ultimately still the driver's responsibility.

"Would you put your hand in a fire if TomTom told you to do it?"