Bye bye Tomtom, no android auto support means no more users — TomTom Community

Bye bye Tomtom, no android auto support means no more users

flocfloc Posts: 83 [Apprentice Traveler]
I'm dropping my TomTom for gmaps/Waze.
This is mainly because the lack of androidauto support, every oem and aftermarket now support this platform and since tomtom showed no interest in this due lack of information in the past 2 years I'm not buying any service anymore. I'm not prone to invest in a dead platform and I will not renew my subscription.

I feel a bit sorry, I was a very old user and supporter but can't live anymore with chinese crappy 2din unit only because of android onboard and tomtom.

Comments

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @floc

You had taken your time and gone to the "android auto website" You would see there are over Over 400 models supported.
    Plus you need a compatible smartphone for all of this to work.

Android phone running 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.

Now if you look at the website you will see it is Android products that use this app.
    Not TomTom or any other GPS app other than Google Map works with "android auto" app

So saying Bye Bye to TomTomGo has nothing to do with "android auto app" at all.

Like I have pointer out before there are cars and smart radios that have TomTom per installed on them.

Go to the TomTom website and look up "in-dash-navigation"
  • flocfloc Posts: 83 [Apprentice Traveler]
    All modern phones support android auto. An Android 5.0+ phone these days is very popular.

Modern cars do have oem unit on board (vw, mercedes, audi... And so on). These units support android auto by default or with a cheap price. TomtomGo android app doesnt work with android auto. This Is why I'm dropping tomtom.

All but this point is a silly excuse for tomtom since Waze works great on androidauto. Tomtom should push google to let them make applications compatible with andrioid auto as well, but I suspect they prefer to sell 1000+ euros 2 din unit with android preinstalled you're talking about (and no future for updates).

I dont want to buy one of them (also, impossibile installation with a lot of modern cars) if for *nothing* I can have a gps navigator on my dash with androidauto.
    It is not TomTom's fault or any other 3rd party GPS app.

Currently neither Apple's CarPlay or Google's Android Auto platforms have been opened up to third party GPS navigation app developers. For now users of these platforms are limited to using only the pre-installed navigation app for each platform: Apple Maps or Google Maps.

You complaint should go to Google to open up the Android Auto platform.

TomTom's hands are tied along with other GPS apps.

If you would like to see TomTom as a compatible app for this platform you can voice your remarks over the Android Auto menu.

See info below:

Send feedback about Android Auto

We're always looking for ways to improve Android Auto and would love to hear from you. Tell us what you like, what you don't like, or about bugs you've found.

To send feedback about Android Auto:

1. On your phone, open the Android Auto app Android Auto.
    2. Select select Menu .
    3. Select Help & feedback and then Send feedback.

It is up to user's to get the ball rolling.
    There has to be enough user's sending feed back to get anything to change at Google.....

You know that and I know that......:thinking:
  • John RFJohn RF Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Don't understand what's the fuss about Android Auto. A system which requires a mobile phone to be connected to the car stereo via USB? In these days of Bluetooth 4/5? Are you kidding?
  • bananaboatbananaboat Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I also subscribe to Tomtom Go (Android), and really like the app.

However I'm now always using Waze or Google Maps, as most cars now support Android Auto.

Its unfortunate that Android Auto does not allow third party GPS app

@John RF
    The best feature of Android Auto is the UI display in the car's center console.
    Wireless Android Auto would be nice but I don't mind the USB connection, it allows for automatic pairing in rental cars and charges the phone.
  • ThinmanThinman Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Google just presented Wireless Android Auto in Vegas. Great News.

Regarding TomTom and Android Auto: I am also an avid TomTom on Android user and I am very sad that I can not use it anymore in my new car.
    I bombarded the Android Auto Forum many times with the request to include 3rd party Navigation apps but they just simply don't care.
    TomTom and Navigon are probably to small companies so they can not apply any pressure on Google. Very sad.
    TomTom is still far better in navigation as Google Maps but Google probably want's them dead. The more people use Google Products, the more data Google gathers and more money they make (advertisement). A couple of whining TomTom or Navigon users are not even an annoyance for them. This is what happens when a company grows in to a monopolistic position.
    this isn't google fault, it's a bad plannjng from TomTom. We're asking more attention on android from YEARS and they still make standalone device when everyone has a potential pnd in his pocket with a smartphone nowadys.
    Now the advent of carplay and androidauto will be the end.
  • ThinmanThinman Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Google is protecting Android Auto in a way that it limits the available applications.
    Even if TomTom would like to have access to AA, it's Google who decides if it allows or not.
    It's a highly secured connection (CarPhone) and the "Entry" is controlled only by Google.

Currently, Google doesn't want any Navigation competition on the AA plattform.
    Either Google Maps/Waze (which is Google owned) or nothing.

Tomtom navigation software is already installed in head units of several car manufacturers. This is probably the way Tomtom is expanding it's business.
    It makes standalone navigation units obsolet.
  • GimbaGimba Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Honestly, nobody cares who you use as your sat nav lol
    Good bye :)
    Gimba wrote:
    Honestly, nobody cares who you use as your sat nav lol
    Good bye :)

neither if you are a proud fanboy with no criticism :)

I wonder when TomTom will wake up on this matter, maybe when they will start losing paying customers.
  • ZaganZagan Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    There's no blocks to TomTom doing android auto on the app, no idea where they is from?

The app creator has to put in that support.

Then it'll work.

It's probably something took took is looking into I guess, waze is only good for the traffic reporting which is transferred into goggle maps, that's why gmaps might seem good at traffic problems at times.

Almost all cars have anchor auto or apple carplay or both now.

I would use took took app via android auto that's why I'm checking out other apps
  • 1rtomlinson1rtomlinson Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm in the same boat unfortunately - I am a current GO subscriber and really like the app and features however I can't use it in my new VW Golf via Android Auto or MirrorLink.

I can see plenty of posts saying it can't be used with Android Auto as Google isn't allowing 3rd party navigation apps however isn't MirrorLink open source? If so I can't see why it can't be developed to work with that!

I've been using Waze and Google Maps, neither of which are particularly great compared to GO. Has anybody tried any apps which are compatable with MirrorLink and are any good? i.e. Sygic.
    I can see plenty of posts saying it can't be used with Android Auto as Google isn't allowing 3rd party navigation apps however isn't MirrorLink open source? If so I can't see why it can't be developed to work with that!
    Because Tomtom still hope we buy their standalone products in 2018 with every car on market shipped with a 8" display. But... Hey! Let's go to buy a pnd with a postmark-sized display to let them thrive lol

Seriously, 7 months and no answers from Tomtom on that matter is a pity.
  • Dutch-RiderDutch-Rider Posts: 15 [Master Explorer]
    John RF wrote:
    Don't understand what's the fuss about Android Auto. A system which requires a mobile phone to be connected to the car stereo via USB? In these days of Bluetooth 4/5? Are you kidding?
    Bluetooth probably doesn't have the bandwith but more important it is stable enough for a continuous datastream.
    So USB is the way to go if want a stable connection (and that is what you want with android auto).
  • haroldsoharoldso Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Bye bye...
  • edoardedoard Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Adding Android Auto support to the TomTom Go App is a must for me too, to renew the service subscription.
    There is a new app out:

Not installed on a Head Unit but off your Smartphone to the display on your Car Radio.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HHGBZHHhEld6CixAvNAcSh7uIsQ_-UPrss1W9fpAjPjBHMUJPEBfkbMhcDpoDzjwFuE=s180
    TomTom In-Dash

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.gplay.myspin

This only works on:

This app only works with Jaguar or Land Rover cars equipped with InControl technology.
    Special introductory offer: Get 33% discount.

TomTom In-Dash is the offline navigation app that's your red carpet for the road when you have a Jaguar or Land Rover car equipped with InControl technology.

Repeat not on your Head Unit it works with your Smartphone to your car radio.
  • edoardedoard Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thanks, shame that in dash app is not a general one for all AA equipped cars.
    TomTom needs to support AA.

Apple is opening up it's Car play to Google maps, I'm sure it could open to TomTom if the two companies would work on that.
  • dbareis_600dbareis_600 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I assume it's still not supported, TomTom may be correct and 3rd party nav apps aren't supported, but why the suggestion on the generic AA feedback and not the ticket TomTom should have raised with Google to get this fixed?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,899 Moderator
    edited January 29
    Hi there,

We’ve recently seen a number of requests to integrate the TomTom GO Mobile App with Android Auto. Currently in most markets, Android Auto only works with Google Maps and Waze.

As a result, we cannot develop this feature until support for integration with TomTom is available. If you would like to be kept in the loop on any changes in the future, please signup here: Link removed

Thanks, lampard
    Mod edit: The above link is removed due to the overwhelming response.
  • bylokkbylokk Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    That link does not work.
  • ryemanryeman Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I’ll probably install a sticky mount pad on our newly ordered Vitara if I can find a flat spot on the dash roll.
    I don’t like navigation out of ‘line of sight’ .......... and it frees up the screen for my music etc.
  • swamperswamper Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Does TomTom support Android Auto or Mirrorlink? I don’t think so, but maybe I only didn’t find a way how to use it. I really like TomTom and I want use it on car dashboard.

My TomTom subscription expired recently so I'm considering new subscription or buying something else with car dashboard support.
  • radosuafradosuaf Posts: 188 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    One more vote for Android Auto support!
  • Just1Just1 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Any update to integrate TomTom Go in AA?