Can detailed directions of a route be changed?

SantaFeTomSantaFeTom Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited January 29 in MyDrive and Road Trips
When using mydrive.tomtom.com, I have been able to fine tune a route by dragging a route segment to the road I want to use. This does not add a stop to the route, just allows me to modify the route. This is exactly what I want. Sometimes, mydrive gets confused and puts in route segments I don't want that aren't obvious by looking at the route. Looking at the detailed directions, I can see that error and just want to delete that segment but can't find a way to do it. I end up having to start all over. Is there a way to edit the detailed directions?

Comments

• danielforniestomtomdanielforniestomtom Posts: 17 TomTom Employee
    SantaFeTom wrote:
    When using mydrive.tomtom.com, I have been able to fine tune a route by dragging a route segment to the road I want to use. This does not add a stop to the route, just allows me to modify the route. This is exactly what I want. Sometimes, mydrive gets confused and puts in route segments I don't want that aren't obvious by looking at the route. Looking at the detailed directions, I can see that error and just want to delete that segment but can't find a way to do it. I end up having to start all over. Is there a way to edit the detailed directions?

Hi SanteFeTom,

In what ways those segments aren't obvious by looking at the route? Could you share an example (by e.g. copy-pasting the URL when you are in such situation)?
    You can click on the dragging points (small white circles after dragging the route) and remove them from the route, instead of having to start all over again.
    You can also press the browser back button, which should help in undoing some of the steps while planning the route.
    There is no way to edit the route from the actual route directions though.

Best Regards,
    The MyDrive Web Team
    danielfornies
  • SantaFeTomSantaFeTom Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Clicking the dragging points and removing them should solve the problems.

I tried to recreate some examples but couldn't. I do recall one situation where I was fine tuning and suddenly the distance increased by 260 miles. The route looked fine though. Looking at the detailed directions, I was able to see that the route was taking me back to a previous point 130 miles away. It was probably my fault but the route did look OK.
  • jarso70jarso70 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Daniel
    I use MyDrive very often to plan routes and send it to navi (TT6000, 6200). I've got many comments how MyDrive works. One of them is that modyfying route by dragging "white circle" may lead to confusion, because new route looks weird (I can confirm SanteFeTom observation, look at attached image - part of route planned for truck). And why can't we add white circle from right-click mouse menu (just the same like "Add stop")?
    Regards, Jarek
    I have seen a lot of those weird routes too. Sometimes if I just wait with the mouse still clicked, or move the white circle a little bit more, MyDrive figures it out, but not always.
  • danielforniestomtomdanielforniestomtom Posts: 17 TomTom Employee
    jarso70 wrote:
    Hi Daniel
    I use MyDrive very often to plan routes and send it to navi (TT6000, 6200). I've got many comments how MyDrive works. One of them is that modyfying route by dragging "white circle" may lead to confusion, because new route looks weird (I can confirm SanteFeTom observation, look at attached image - part of route planned for truck). And why can't we add white circle from right-click mouse menu (just the same like "Add stop")?
    Regards, Jarek
    • And why can't we add white circle from right-click mouse menu (just the same like "Add stop")? Actually we're already analyzing this improvement. We will keep you posted.
    • Why not this road (as noted in the shared image) The most probable cause is that the routing engine thinks it'll be faster to reach that point and drive back than continuing through the next road. To overcome that you can keep dragging the white circle over that road you want to use. If that still doesn't satisfy you, you might need to use another white circle (aka dragging point or soft waypoint).
    • Would you also be interested in seeing arrows inside the route line indicating the driving direction, also including bidirectional arrows when you drive the same road back and forth? (We already have that available but in experimental mode)
    • Would you be interested in a route planning option where going back and forth in the same road is avoided for the whole route?
    Best Regards,
    Daniel
    danielfornies
    Regarding your last two questions, emphatically yes and yes.
  • jarso70jarso70 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi again

What I need from My Drive is possibility to modify routes according to my expectations. More options - more choice, this is good for users (but maybe problem for developers :wink:)
    • And why can't we add white circle from right-click mouse menu [...]? Actually we're already analyzing this improvement. [...]

I think this improvement is right move:thumbsup_tone1:. But I also think white point should be used only for modifying route, not for giving instructions for driver (I mean, if driver decide to change route during his ride, nav shouldn't forced him to turn back to that white point). I hope these points are not taken into account when creating instructions, are they?
    • Why not this road (as noted in the shared image) The most probable cause is that the routing engine thinks it'll be faster [...]

I would say we've got two options. If I use "Add stop" I would accept ride back and forth. But if I drag "white point" it doesn't mean I want to reach it. I only want to point the road I want to drive through. And that's why driving back and forth is not according to my plans. In general, I would like to use white points only for drawing route line.
    • Would you also be interested in seeing arrows inside the route line indicating the driving direction, also including bidirectional arrows when you drive the same road back and forth?[...]

I don't mind if that will not decrease clarity. But what would you say about using a different color to mark the bidirectional part? By the way, You use colors to give some information (see attached picture). What do these dots mean? (some kind of restrictions or "drive carefully" or something else?)
    • Would you be interested in a route planning option where going back and forth in the same road is avoided for the whole route?

I don't mind, assume it would be useful for tourist purpose. I probably will not use it. I use MyDrive to create routes for trucks. For me important is to create routes avoiding road with trucks restrictions. These are rather long routes and problem "back and forth" not exist.

Best regards (pozdrawiam), Jarek