GO 5200 traffic via build in SIM card not working — TomTom Community

GO 5200 traffic via build in SIM card not working

RobertadamRobertadam Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
My tomtom doesn’t pick up any traffic information trough build in SIM card. Showing GPRS as disconnected. I try everything including hard restart. I purchased this model because of this function. I travel a lot, and now when traffic not working from a week time, my device is useless for me.
I contacted customer service and they said that I have to wait. Not to helpful.
I heard that the archaic 2G GPRS system which live traffic based on was disconnected. And now only option is getting tomtom service trough smartphone. That used my phone data and drains smartphone battery. If tomtom can’t provide this service via build in SIM card anymore I want return device and have my money back. Or replace for upgrading working device. If this is true, why tomtom still selling this models?
Anyone else have this problem?
«1

Comments

  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 480 [Exalted Navigator]
    I have a GO 6200 and that is definitely working with live traffic, so your device should also work here in the UK at least. I presume you have logged in to your TomTom account?
    BrianE
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,568 Superuser
    @Robertadam

    Unless you are actually in US or Australia then the 2G network should still be functioning, the other alternative is to perform a factory reset and re-sync your device using MyDrive.

    See page 124 of the manual http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/refman/TomTom-GO-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • RobertadamRobertadam Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks. That’s actually works. Rest to factory settings and setup all over again helps. I did that before and there was no result. But I did try again after your suggestion and that’s solve the problem out. I wonder why the customer service doesn’t ask me to do this. I’m from UK They told me that issue is with GPRS signal, not my device. And I believe that since I did reset to factory settings once before. And when I told about that to lovely lady on the phone, she said that I don’t need to doo this...
    Thanks for help.

    l was desperate. Considering to give up tomtom and tomorrow purchase Garmin.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 480 [Exalted Navigator]
    Robertadam wrote:
    l was desperate. Considering to give up tomtom and tomorrow purchase Garmin.
    Don't do it - you will be very disappointed!
    BrianE
  • CrunchyBennettCrunchyBennett Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I’m having exactly the same issue - have been for around 2months

    Furious with tomTom. A few calls to them, keep saying “we’ve made changes” and still nothing.

    The only way I can get services on my 6200 is to Bluetooth to my phone.

    Help me! :(
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,964 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @CrunchyBennett

    I wanted to know if the GPRS status on your device shows connected?

    You should find this under- Menu- System- About- (Scroll down)- GPRS Status.

    Thanks
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,971 Superusers
    Hi
    @CrunchyBennett

    Is the problem out on the Road or at Home ???

    If your at Home and your device is connected to your Home Wi-Fi
    The Wi-Fi when connected it will take priority over GPRS SIM

    Try moving out of the Range of your Wi-Fi
    Or
    Logout of your Wi-Fi....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Finish) Icon
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

    70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-F
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon
    ____________________________

    If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    ____________________________
  • CrunchyBennettCrunchyBennett Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    VikramK wrote:
    Hi @CrunchyBennett

    I wanted to know if the GPRS status on your device shows connected?

    You should find this under- Menu- System- About- (Scroll down)- GPRS Status.

    Thanks
    Vikram


    It just shows disconnected, and never changes. Regardless if connect to bluetooth/mobile or not.
  • CrunchyBennettCrunchyBennett Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @CrunchyBennett

    Is the problem out on the Road or at Home ???

    If your at Home and your device is connected to your Home Wi-Fi
    The Wi-Fi when connected it will take priority over GPRS SIM

    Try moving out of the Range of your Wi-FiOr
    Logout of your Wi-Fi....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Finish) Icon
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with an 'X'

    70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-F
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

    ATB YFM


    Hi YamFamMan,

    When on WiFi or Bluetooth traffic etc works fine. TomTom had me do this, but it's irrelevant as it's when I am on the road, disconnected from Bluetooth on phone and wifi
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,964 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @CrunchyBennett

    Thanks for the detailed information you provided.

    The disconnected GPRS status is an issue which is currently being investigated by our team.

    I was also reviewing your case which is open with the customer service. I see that they tried to change some SIM setting on the server for your device. This method has worked in some cases to resolve similar issues for certain customers. Unfortunately it did not work out for you.

    I will log your case to the ticket which is under investigation at the moment.

    Apologies for the inconvenience caused. :(

    -Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • CrunchyBennettCrunchyBennett Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    VikramK wrote:
    Hi @CrunchyBennett

    Thanks for the detailed information you provided.

    The disconnected GPRS status is an issue which is currently being investigated by our team.

    I was also reviewing your case which is open with the customer service. I see that they tried to change some SIM setting on the server for your device. This method has worked in some cases to resolve similar issues for certain customers. Unfortunately it did not work out for you.

    I will log your case to the ticket which is under investigation at the moment.

    Apologies for the inconvenience caused. :(

    -Vikram

    Thank you,

    Please keep me informed
  • GazibarevGazibarev Posts: 67 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I have the same problem. Satnav cannot establish gprs connection. All day. Only via wifi. ? 2 months only problems. TOMTOM What's happening???? GO6250
  • DlewDlew Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Can you fix this problem: My Tom Tom GO 5200 has no GPRS connection and so no live traffic, and the blue tooth connection to iPhone for data for traffic and messaging mostly says "not connected" (or works intermittently after a reset then stops again). Even connect via phone hot spot drops out leaving no traffic information- traffic was one of the reasons I chose the TT.

    Maps have inaccurate speed zones - and reporting the inaccuracy changes nothing as well. TT says speed limit is 60kph when the Main North Road Parafield has always been 80kph - and Sudholz Road intersection with Main North East road is not a 25kph school zone! Reporting these inaccuracies is a waste of time as nothing is done with the reports.
  • LC123LC123 Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Dlew wrote:
    Can you fix this problem: My Tom Tom GO 5200 has no GPRS connection and so no live traffic, and the blue tooth connection to iPhone for data for traffic and messaging mostly says "not connected" (or works intermittently after a reset then stops again). Even connect via phone hot spot drops out leaving no traffic information- traffic was one of the reasons I chose the TT.

    Maps have inaccurate speed zones - and reporting the inaccuracy changes nothing as well. TT says speed limit is 60kph when the Main North Road Parafield has always been 80kph - and Sudholz Road intersection with Main North East road is not a 25kph school zone! Reporting these inaccuracies is a waste of time as nothing is done with the reports.

    Hi @Dlew

    I can't help with the built in SIM aspect except to say I really think TomTom need to stop selling these devices with built in SIM as 2G is slowly being wound down by the operators, and will be turned off in more and more places over the coming years. If they are selling these devices they should come with a compatible 2G/3G/4G mobile part and a contract arranged with Vodafone to supply data on 3 and 4G. People are buying new sat-navs from TomTom with obsolete technology, that's not how you keep long term loyal customers.

    There seems to be other issues when tethering TomTom to mobile devices to get data, sometimes this is related to the mobile phone company having switched to IPv6 (EE in the UK is one such operator), and something TomTom is doing isn't compatible. Please visit http://test-ipv6.com/ on your mobile device when not connected to any Wi-Fi to test the mobile connection, and see if it says you have IPv6, if it says no IPv6 address detected you don't. If you do, you will need to check with your operator to see if you can switch back manually to IPv4, which should then see TomTom working.

    Hope that helps.
  • wheramiwherami Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi - have tom tom go 5200 - same probs as above - no traffic reports for two months now and still getting nowwhere - hard resets and reported and ongoing - is tom tom viable anymore...If we cant get traffic reports satnavs are dead and we might as well just use our mobiles........Dischuffed wherami
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,209 Superusers
    Seek support assistance:

    :flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • wheramiwherami Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Already reported ; going round in circles ; not impressed
  • G SandhuG Sandhu Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i have Trucker 6000,Life time live traffic, speed cameras and map updates. i have done factory reset still same problem, with live traffic, showing Activated but not connecting, message says TomTom service are temporarily unavailable, please try again later. been like this for the last 3 months, and same with speed camera updates. Mydrive works fine, Network Status Connected.
    i am calling customer service tomorrow see what they say, i started doing courier job i need live traffic asap.
  • womkywomky Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I have a 5100 and have similar probs in that I cannot get live traffic, I have been in touch with support and they have (re-embedded my device) whatever that means.
    But no change. If I reset it works for a short time then disconnects....... Could it be the sim?
  • scjepsenscjepsen Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Got the same problem with my Go 5200.

    Tried the hard reset quite a few times, but traffic info only when connected to phone via BlueTooth.

    Very disappointed with this item, and services rendered.

    Used to be very happy with TomTom, but as it is, the device is only partly useful without the traffic info. Would be reluctant to recommend this to anybody
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,934 Superuser
    edited April 8
    Hi @scjepsen

    You do not say which country you are in. If Australia it does not work as the have turned 2g off.

    Contact your Customer support and ask them to check yo r account settings at their end to see if a change is required.

    Doug
  • scjepsenscjepsen Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @scjepsen

    You do not say which country you are in. If Australia it does not work as the have turned 2g off.

    Contact your Customer support and tell them and ask them to check you r account settings at their end to see if a change is required.

    Doug

    Hi,

    Thanks for the heads up regarding 2G

    I live in Denmark, and as far as I can tell, 2G shutdown is pending rolling out 5G. So, should still be good. Will dig further, though

    Oh, well. Will take another round with support, who has been quiet since the initial 'try to restart the unit' standard response ;-)

    Thanks for the help !

    Regards
    /S

  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,934 Superuser
    Hi @scjepsen

    Could you just try something please and let me know if it makes a difference.

    Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Bluetooth
    Tap the paired Phone
    In the options at the bottom I assume you have all three Options selected as ON. including Data selected as ON.. Could you turn the Data Option OFF and the see, if you go outside, if the Traffic Data icon is Bold when you Tap Menu and Turn the unit on. This is to test if the Turning on of the Data in Bluetooth Overides the inbuilt Sim.

    Doug
  • scjepsenscjepsen Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @scjepsen

    Could you just try something please and let me know if it makes a difference.

    Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Bluetooth
    Tap the paired Phone
    In the options at the bottom I assume you have all three Options selected as ON. including Data selected as ON.. Could you turn the Data Option OFF and the see, if you go outside, if the Traffic Data icon is Bold when you Tap Menu and Turn the unit on. This is to test if the Turning on of the Data in Bluetooth Overides the inbuilt Sim.

    Doug

    Sure - I'll try that and get back with results.

    Thanks !
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,934 Superuser
    Hi @scjepsen

    One other thing. One one occasion I had a problem with Traffic via the Inbuilt Sim on my GO 6200 based unit when there was a problem at Tomtom's end. I was in a major traffic Jam caused by Road works, lots travelling home from work and a Premier League Football match due to start within 2 hours. I have a Mifi, it should also work if you have a Hotspot facility on your phone. I logged into the Mifi via the Wifi facility on the GO 6200, I could have tried a Phone Hotspot, and picked up Traffic immediately. So the ability to connect via Bluetooth and Wifi is a backup option if the Inbuilt sim is not functioning for any reason. Got me out of a lot of trouble. The inbuilt sim was working perfectly the next day when I needed it.

    Doug
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online13

Gerela
Gerela
Invisibly
Invisibly
the_wombel
the_wombel
+10 Guests