Pixel XL 2 and TomTom - HD Traffic stops working — TomTom Community

Pixel XL 2 and TomTom - HD Traffic stops working

LC123LC123 Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
Hi

This has been replicated on 3 different TomToms (all up to date) GO 500, GO 520 and GO 520 WiFi.

TomToms are not using the TomTom app on the phone but just using the Bluetooth tethering option. Initially all works good and connection is made with HD Traffic, but at some point in the journey HD Traffic stops working. Turning TomTom off and back on or a full drum roll reboot will not get it working again. The entire journey then takes place with no HD Traffic, defeating the purpose!

The only fix seems to be to reboot the phone and TomTom, where it may start working again, but not always possible to restart my phone if I'm driving on my own.

TomTom reports "Service unavailable" on both HD Traffic and My Drive but is connected to the phone still, with the Pixel XL 2 still showing the Bluetooth tethering icon.

After a lot of time troubleshooting this, the connection breaks if the network drops to 3G (from 4G), and even if going back to a 4G signal, the TomTom will not reconnect to HD Traffic.

To replicated:

1) When connected to a 4G network, have TomTom connect up to Bluetooth sharing, very quickly it will connect to MyDrive and HD Traffic and fetch traffic information.

2) Manually set the phone to use a 3G network (from Network settings on the phone), and to quickly replicate the problem, put the TomTom into sleep then back on again so it drops the current connection and reconnects back to the phone (or leave it for a few minutes and the connections will time out). Whilst the phone shows Bluetooth tethering active, and TomTom shows a connection to the phone, HD Traffic and MyDrive will stick at "Service unavailable" indefinitely.

3) Switch back to back to 4G and notice TomTom still fails to reconnect.

During step 2, where one TomTom has now failed with a constant "Service unavailable", I've started up a second TomTom which has a pairing with the same phone and it works absolutely fine, showing the phone is still passing data and has a network connection on 3G and Bluetooth tethering is working fine. Toggle back to 4G then 3G, and the second TomTom will eventually stop working as well.

Note that this is using the EE network in the UK, it may be specific to EE and their use of IPv6 perhaps. Something about a break in the data connection as the phone switches between 4G and 3G causes the TomTom to get confused and it fails to reconnect again. It may equally be an issue with the Android P and the XL 2 and it's tethering, although I noticed similar issues with Android Oreo and on a Nexus 5X.

I hope this can be raised to your developers to try and replicate the problem and look towards a fix.

Many thanks.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,206 Superusers
    I suggest you call support and report your findings to them:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • LC123LC123 Posts: 31 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    dhn wrote:
    I suggest you call support and report your findings to them:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Hi

I've spent enough time on troubleshooting this already without trying to get past 1st line technical support and drum roll resets etc etc.

If no one from TomTom monitors their own forum to pick up potential issues or customer troubleshooting help then they don't deserve to have any customers at all.
    Hi

I guess TomTom have given up with these devices hence no reply.

I've switched to using my previous phone as a sat nav with Google maps and their implementation, this actually works, their routing seems to avoid some of the more dubious narrow roads and lanes that TomTom is quite keen we should use, plus their traffic service seems very accurate and useful as it actually works all the time! Searching for places is also a lot easier, as I would normally use Google Maps anyway to get a satellite view to pinpoint the specific destination then use the lat/long in TomTom, so that's one step I no longer need.

Goodbye TomTom, and unless you change your attitude to your customers and fix all the bugs, TomTom will become DoDo, extinct, as there are better options out there now and you aren't offering anything unique anymore, all you can do is have solid devices and software, which I've yet to see!
    Hi

Well in a last ditch attempt I think I've found the issue that may be the cause of various connection issues with HD Traffic and may only get worse over time for your customers. If anyone from TomTom cares this needs looking into.

Please read the first post to get the background and troubleshooting to date.

What I later found is when the connection had broken and stuck at "Service Unavailable", enabling Wi-Fi on my phone so that data was now going over my home broadband connection, TomTom would quickly connect back. My home broadband is IPv4 only, EE has now transitioned to IPv6.

So I've set my phone to use IPv4 only with EE (see notes below for anyone wanting to try this), and have not been able to replicate the problem since when testing, the real test will come when I do a long journey but it looks promising. Also it is noticeable that on TomTom connecting to my phone, the transition from "No Internet" to "Connected" when looking at the services screen on TomTom is much quicker with IPv4. Note that nothing else seems to have a problem with EE's IPv6 including tablets that might be tethered via my phone which carry on working when at the same time TomTom has stopped. Of course I'm not ruling out that it is a problem with EEs IPv6 implementation either.

This might explain why connection issues do not effect everyone, as it needs a paricular set of circumstances, in my case:
    1. Pixel 2 XL (Android phone), I don't know if this problem affects other phones or versions of Android
    2. EE with IPv6 enabled, this can be checked by going to https://test-ipv6.com/ and seeing if there is an IPv6 internet address
    3. Not using MyDrive on the phone but using standard Bluetooth tethering, which is my preference as it doesn't drain the battery anywhere near as much. I think MyDrive isn't affected or not as much, it has broken with "Service unavailable" but I haven't concentrated on testing with that app to say if it has this similar issue.
    4. The problem usually manifests once the phone transitions between 4G/3G or 2G, this means we can start the journey okay with traffic services, but eventually it just stops as the phone drops and connects back at some point. Anyone travelling in a strong 4G area where the phone can maintain a 4G connection throughout will likely find no issue. This may explain why rush hour is often the time people complain of dropped HD Traffic as at this time cells become very busy there is more chance the network pushes them from 4G to 3G etc.
    If anyone is on EE (or other network even where the IPv6 test above shows IPv6 is enabled) with unreliable HD Traffic, try this, I only know how to change on Android, it involves changing the APN to revert back to IPv4 only:
    1. From Settings go to Network & Internet, tap Mobile Network, then tap advanced.
    2. At the bottom tap Access point names
    3. There will be an APN selected, probably called EE Internet, tap this to view the settings.
    4. Take a note of all the settings, most are not set anyway.
    5. Go back to the list of APNs, tap the menu icon top right (3 dots) and tap 'New APN'
    6. For Name, set this as EE IPv4 (any name is fine here)
    7. Then enter all the same details. For username enter that as copied but leave password blank, it isn't used or required, then when you get to APN protocol, just enter IPv4, same for roaming.
    8. From the menu top right, tap Save
    Now select to use that newly created APN and check you have internet access okay. If you visit https://test-ipv6.com/ confirm it shows only IPv4 and so no IPv6 internet address. Now use TomTom on your travels and see if HD Traffic is more reliable and feedback here.

Using IPv4 only shouldn't affect anything else which will just as happily use that, it is still the mainstay of the internet after all. If you have any problems, go back to the list of APNs and select the original one.

Please TomTom do some testing with IPv6 enabled mobile providers.
    Hi

Found some info here regarding EE's IPv6 network which uses something called NAT 6-to-4 to route to/from IPv4 addresses. https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Is-EE-s-4G-network-now-IPv6-only-ish/td-p/697079

Do our TomTom's route over IPv6 if it is available? If not, there is some issue with Android tethering and that if not using EE's DNS server, the IP address isn't correct, as it needs to be a modified IPv4 address.

I wonder if the TomTom code initially on connecting uses the mobile networks DNS servers, then switches to using some other DNS server (perhaps their own) after connection is first established, so the first time the connection goes down for any reason, when it comes back up it sticks to using a different DNS server then is unable to reconnect, as isn't getting the correct IPv4 address to use?