ITN vs. GPX files - imported route — TomTom Community

ITN vs. GPX files - imported route

RBEmersonRBEmerson Posts: 55 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 30 in RIDER
I understand, I think, the conceptual difference, in the TT space, between ITN and GPX files. What I don't understand is what is the difference between using a route (imported ITN file) and a track (imported GPX file).

I want to use my own routing tools, all of which can create GPX files. I understand the actual transfer process(es). What I don't understand is what happens when I ask my Rider 550 to follow a GPX file/track, as opposed to following an ITN/route. What am I gaining or losing by using either routes or tracks?
Can, will, done

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    A route is only a list of the waypoints you want to visit. A sat nav will calculate the route between them in the order you placed them according to your route settings, live traffic data, and other map data (see IQ Routes).

A track is like a recording of a route that you can follow at a later time. There are no waypoints, nothing is calculated, it’s totally dummy.

The first is versatile, you may alter it, choose another route to get to your waypoints the second not.

On a route you may need to add some intermediate waypoints if you want to follow a more exact route...
  • RBEmersonRBEmerson Posts: 55 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Confirming: A ITN route has flexibility in being adjustable as needed. A GPX track can't be altered and will be followed regardless of conditions.

The manual refers to a 225(?) waypoint limit. Riding/driving in the US Southwest can mean a route that's 100-200 miles. Much of the route will be straight "here to there" but there may be parts along the way that are not just "here to there". When does the become a problem? Changing routes while moving is, of course, not a good choice. At what point does the waypoint limit cause problems?
    Can, will, done
    Never had a problem even with the 55 limit of the older models. Positioning a few intermediate waypoints at key locations are enough to guide the satnav to the roads you want.
    TNX - I'll try a couple of the roads already covered to see how this goes.
    Can, will, done
    FWIW, it's possible to use a third party routing app that writes only GPX files and turn that into an ITN file. A utility called GPS Babel can convert a GPX (route) file into an ITN (track) file.

As with much in life, there are "got you" points in the process: The 255 waypoint limit in Rider550 tracks cannot be changed (for computer geeks, that's an 8 bit field, no hope of expanding to 16 bits or whatever). It's very unlikely GPS Babel conversion will report a route having 256 or more waypoints.

GPS Babel is a DOS (yes, pre-Windows) utility that must be used through a CMD window. If none of this makes sense to you, forget the conversion process. Although probably a 6 year old will understand it. Maybe [/ wink]

Repeating comments above: A route (GPX file) cannot be changed once it's in the 550. Weather and traffic reports will not trigger alter rerouting. A track (ITN file) can be changed be changed in the 550 anywhere between loading the track and arriving at the destination. Weather and traffic information can trigger alter how to arrive at the destination.

Hope this helps. [/ smile]
    Can, will, done
    “Converting” a track (whatever file format) to a route (whatever file format, but for TomTom is always an ITN) is never a successful strategy because of their different logic and purpose.

You can always use a track to design a route but it needs some work to keep only the necessary waypoints. Tools like Tyre , myRoute-app and other may help you to reduce the number of waypoints.

It’s not practical to have a big number of waypoints. If you decide not to visit a place as you describe it you may have to remove 20 waypoints for example when you may only need 1 to 3... You can’t do it on the road, especially when the waypoints have no labels and the user interface doesn’t help...

To be precise, a conversion is between file formats of the same logic - data, like a conversion from NMEA track log file to a GPX track... (GPX may also contain routes and POIs but TomTom treat it always as a track (with less detail)).
    I understand what you're saying. I tried to make clear the conversion may not always work. However, a simple "list of waypoints" route should convert to an ITN within the constraints of the ITN format.

I was trying to avoid third-party router names; I am familiar with, and prefer, working with BaseCamp. I used a Zumo 660, which works sufficiently to support map updates.

For anyone considering doing routing/tracking with this arrangement, BaseCamp is no longer supported for development. If it "breaks", that's it, party over. Map updates require the presence of a registered device approved for map updating. Anything else means working with the last known map set. Finally, it is possible to count the number of waypoints in a BaseCamp route. Assume any shaping points count as waypoints. That is, a few visible waypoints and several non-visible shaping points is equivalent to a route with many waypoints. Do not use shaping points or keep them visible. In short, if it works, fine, if not, move on.

Anything beyond the above is outside the scope of this forum. It doesn't use TT products - don't discuss it here. Gotit? [/ smile]
    Can, will, done
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    When I plan a run using my route app you can down load it in most formats ( I find the TT system not very user friendly. When I use the drop/drag method on the computer to my TT400 I get a route and a track showing. I generally use gpx1.1 but if things go wrong on the road I can reload the itn option, by doing so I am able to choose a new start point further along the planned route. The unit will then take me back onto the planned route.
    If I am on a long journey I break it down into sections as it makes it easier to use if things do not go according to plan and it also overcomes the way point limitation.
    You're quite right about long trips and one route - KISS.

I tried MyDrive on my phone to build a route from my current location, to the library to the post office to home. Adding the library and PO in the correct order was basically like herding cats. [/ not amused]
    Can, will, done