Confusion about Via52 and Go Basic

jimockljimockl Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi, after some time of research about what to get I'm utterly confused.

I nearly set on the via52 but then I found out about the go basic. They are in the same ballpark as price goes. But I cannot figure out the mein differences.

both have unlimeted europe maps, unlimited traffic and resistive touchscreen

Go basic has wifi and limited smartphone support
Via52 has NO wifi but better smartphone support (hands free calling)

are those the main differences or am I missing something else (power, age, ...)?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• dmulvdmulv Posts: 603 Superuser
    Features on both are virtually identical. The biggest difference is that the Via has a resistive touchscreen and the Go's is multi-touch capacitive, which also has an effect on the quality of the display itself.

Other differences are the Via has a lack of Wifi, no access to your phone's assistant (Siri/Google Now), and it only comes with 3 months free speed camera updates rather than 6 months.
  • jimockljimockl Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thx for your answer but aren't you describing the go essential? The go basic does not have a capacitive display and assistant support, as I figured out.

But I take from that, that the main difference between GO BASIC and VIA52 is wife vs. hands free calling and the bigger space on the go basic...

latter will probably push me towards the go.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,056 Superusers
    Try to find a GO620 or 520 in bargain.
    GO6200
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 603 Superuser
    Sorry - you're right, I was looking at the Go Essential.

Comparing the two, I'm not quite sure of TomTom's logic in how they've positioned and priced the two devices. If I were you I'd go for the Go Basic over the Via, or do as Mike suggests.
  • jimockljimockl Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thx mike & dmulv. I'm currently following the price development of the via53 which seems pretty close to the go essential. While also looking for a bargain on go 520.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,322 Superuser
    Hi all,

@jimockl

With your current device, you are already a TomTom customer so you are entitled to a loyalty discount code.
    To get it, you must contact TomTom Customer Support who will give you a personal code.
    :flag_de:Deutschland
    069 6680 0915
    Mo: 09:00 - 17:30
    Di - Fr: 09:00 - 16:30

TomTom still sells the GO 520 and Via 53 live, but the links no longer appear in the "Products" page.
    https://www.tomtom.com/de_de/drive/car/products/go-520/
    https://www.tomtom.com/de_de/drive/car/products/via-53/

This is one more possibility to have a reasonable price.

Regards.