Linux support for updating TomTom using MyDrive Connect

PrjPrj Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 31 in MyDrive Connect
I have just purchased a TOMTOM start for my wife and I am having difficulty with mydrive connect. I Use ubuntu as an operating system, is support provided.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,608 Superusers
    Hi
    Sorry No...

ATB YFM
  • alex20465alex20465 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I have the some issue with the tomtom device of my father, I am a software engineer and I know how easy it is to implement the existing mac-os software on the linux base. Both are unix systems. Although there should be a alternative non-os specific update method such as just copy and past to the internal storage of the device. It is sad how unprofessional big companies like tomtom are. I would suggest to fork the android os and create a custom tomtom android version for your devices ;)
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 680 Superuser
    From a business standpoint it’s not unprofessional. On the contrary... Where’s the profit to support just the 2.03% of the Linux desktop market share?

Profits will come from the 87.92% of the Windows and 9.46% of macOS desktop share...

The exposure of a file system would make things simpler for some people, like the older NAV platforms. I guess they made it a black box to protect them from s/w piracy...
  • alex20465alex20465 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    So a business does't care if 2% of there customers can't update the geo-data ? Web developer still struggle to support the 1% internet explorer 8 users.

I could update the tomtom device after using virtualbox, I needed an account to download the updates using my email address. Now i understand the business behind the whole support stuff and why they don't support simple geo-data updates using a file-system. No conversation needed. Thanks anyways ste7ios.