RIDER 450 - Unable to Connect to internet using a smartphone — TomTom Community

RIDER 450 - Unable to Connect to internet using a smartphone

bavlbavl Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Hello guys!
Just got myself a TomTOm Rider 450 and imediatelly lost the charging dock whilst riding my bike.
However, my issue is that the thing won't connect to my smartphone in order to use its internet.
The devices Pair, and after that the TomTom says "Unable to connect to the internet" On your phone, turn on personal hotspot. Makre sure bluetooth is on...etc.
Everything is on, bluetooth, hotspot, internet...but it won't feed from my LG's internet?

Do you have similar problems, or better yet...a sollution?

Thanks!
Victor

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,007
    Superusers
    Have you tried to connect via the MyDrive app?
  • bavlbavl Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Unfortunatelly My drive says: "no eligible devices for app install", so no.
    My phone is an LG G3, 3Gb RAM and all that, shouldn't be that out of date...
    Superusers
    Without the MyDrive app, it won't work properly, as far as I know. Try to download the .apk and sideload it somehow, or contact TT CS to see if the LG G3 is bloxked and if it can be approved in the Play Store.
  • basixbasix Posts: 486
    Superuser
    Are you sure about the requirement for the mydrive app Zsolt? I had a similar phone from LG (G Flex 2, basically a G3 which is curved), and it always worked without the app.

bavl, I think:
    - Turn off the wifi on the phone so it uses your Mobile Data connection
    - turn off the tomtom (completely, not just standby)
    - restart the phone,
    - check the bluetooth tethering settings on your phone (enable it)
    - restart the tomtom

and see if it works now
    Superusers
    Not sure, as I don't have a 450. I had the 500, it didn't need the app. Have the 520 now, it does need.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    Hi
    You don't need the App
    I use a Nokia Lumina 625 Win10 Phone with my Rider 400

ATB YFM
    Superusers
    But the device in question is the 450. Would it be the same for that?
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 747
    Superuser
    MyDrive app is needed when tethering is not allowed by the provider, so it acts as a proxy.

It's not the first time I see an Android that fails completely in tethering for no reason... There are some workarounds about it.

Google is your friend:

https://www.google.gr/search?q=lg+g3+tethering+no+internet+access
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for sharing all the good tips here! :D

Just to make clear, with European devices the MyDrive app is required only for the smartphone messages feature with the GO Wi-Fi® devices. All other Bluetooth® features can be used without the app.

One thing to keep in mind with connecting to TomTom Services is also that you shouldn't have the device connected to your computer while doing it.

Cheers, Mikko
  • basixbasix Posts: 486
    Superuser
    I guess that means my instructions are the correct ones ;)
  • bavlbavl Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hello guys,

Thanks for all the support.
    Tried to restard both devices, only bluetooth and 4G, no Wi-Fi, unplugged the TomTom from the PC, tried installying the app from the PC directly to the phone (no luck), serched for more fixes on YouTube and Google, and still no luck.

Also, tried pairing it with some 3 month old Sony and iPhone 7 and the same thing happens, so shouldn't from the phone.
  • BjautoBjauto Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Be sure to use the bluetooth-tethering of your phone. This is different from the WiFi-tethering.

Have you logged in on your Rider with your TomTom name and password?
  • russ71russ71 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am having the very same issue with my tomtom 400 and my iPhone X. It pairs but won’t connect to MyDrive connect. I’m calling customer support when I get the chance