Go 50 won't put maps on SD card

PeterSharpe
PeterSharpe Registered Users Posts: 34
Master Explorer
I have previously removed all unnecessary content from my device, yet when I tried to install the latest map update it told me that there was not enough storage space. I have just been out and bought a Sandisk 16GB SDHC card and after struggling several times to get it to click into the machine, I reset the device as instructed. It then asked me if I wanted to format the card and whether I wanted to use it for memory (I think) or maps. I chose maps.

After more than an hour it finally updated, then when I went to check the settings, as soon as I looked in My Places, it confirmed that they had all been lost after the reset, but warned me that there was only 400 megabytes of storage left, which was insufficient to add any OVI files.

On checking in MyDrive, it showed that the device storage was full, yet the SD card completely unused. Of course, in the old days you could just physically transfer things over with File Explorer, but thanks to the new sealed system we are completely stuck. I have read all similar questions about this without finding a solution. Not happy.

Comments

• PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    Deleted this comment after editing original post.
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    There are no TomTom Help topics about this and there is no facility on MyDrive to transfer content to the SD card. MyDrive is reporting that the SD card has 15130 MB free, so it must be recognised by the system.
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,385
     Superuser
    Try downloading a small map (such as New Zealand or Australia). MyDriveConnect likely will put that on internal storage and, therefore, larger maps will then get placed on the sd card.
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    dhn wrote:
    Try downloading a small map (such as New Zealand or Australia). MyDriveConnect likely will put that on internal storage and, therefore, larger maps will then get placed on the sd card.

I tried reformatting the card on my computer, then putting it back into the device, where it then again asked whether I wanted to use the SD card for routes or maps. I again chose maps, after which the screen went blank and I wondered if the map was being transferred over. I now have an empty SD card and only 8MB of storage left on the device!

I will try swapping a map over and see if it will force it to re-think the situation. I'm a bit worried about losing my main UK map altogether.

Edit: It's telling me that a slightly larger map won't fit on my device unless I free up some storage, so it's still not going to use the SD card.

I've come to the conclusion that this is yet another major bug that is caused by TomTom's continued refusal to carry out even basic testing procedures on their software before releasing it onto the market. They seem to think it's okay to let the public do it for them.

I abandoned the map swap because it was going to take an hour and a half to load a map I had no use for and for which there seemed to be no logical reason to think it would work anyway.
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    After reformatting the card yet again and saying that the SD card is for maps, I thought I was finally making progress when I went into the section where you can create more storage by reducing unwanted items. I found that the right-pointing arrow was no longer greyed-out, but there was an option to download the largest map, which had previously been unavailable due to lack of storage. Aha, I thought, it is finally going to download it onto the SD card. But then what about the map in the device? There appears to be no procedure anywhere in TomTom's software for deleting it.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,940
    Superuser
    Hi @PeterSharpe

If the map on your unit is a small Europe map and the new map you want to put on is for example a Full Europe with 3d buildings or similar which is too big for the unit the new map will go on the card and the map on the unit will be deleted.

If you then were to buy another map and it was small enough it would go on the internal memory otherwise it would be added to the card if there is enough space. In this situation I think you would you will find you could have an option to deleted a map you don't want if you click on the map when in Tomtom Mydrive Connect. and select uninstall.

Doug
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    Thanks Doug - you're on the right lines but not quite. First of all, I'm delighted to say that the new, larger map (which I'll probably never need) has now been installed onto the SD card. Why it succeeded on the fourth attempt, I'll never know. If I'd been a paid tester I would have recorded every single action I took in the entire sequence of events.

So I now have no idea why the original map was deleted, because as far as the dialog was telling me, I was simply adding a new one. I wonder what will happen if I now try to add it again, as I think there's room on the card, although I'm not sure if there's actually an option to delete the larger one. There might be, but that's for another time. I'll probably leave well alone unless the larger map makes the device slower to operate for some reason. I'm also wondering if I've now lost any favourite places that were attached to the previous map, or whether they work independently of it. That's also for another time.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,940
    Superuser
    Hi @PeterSharpe

I have the GO5000.

I can if I want load a European map which is small enough so that it will load on the internal memory and if I delete some Voices etc I can ensure here is 400mb of spare space as recommended.

As long as each update of that map is also small enough the map will stay on the internal storage as that is the default setting for maps.

If however I decide to load a larger version of the European map, or an update of the map which has increased that will not fit on the internal memory, then it will load on the SD card and as is the norm during the process of replacing an exiting map the existing map is deleted first and the new map loaded to replace it. This is why if someone has a problem, a power cut or loss of wifi connection for example, whilst doing an update of the current map or replacing it with a larger version of the same map they find the unit has no map on it at all. In effect the Old map, wherever it is, is deleted first to leave space for the new map which if too big switches to the SD card. If this happens they then have to go through the process of restoring a map back onto the unit.

Doug
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    I now think I was incorrect in first stating that I only had 400MB left, as I now think it was telling me that I needed at least 400MB and I only had under 10MB (I noticed that I lose 1MB with each attempt at updating). Previously, I have only ever loaded the GB and Northern Ireland map, yet with every update I was losing more and more storage space. If it is true, as you suggest, that a failed update may have left an additional, incomplete version of the map in the internal storage, there was no way of telling this. If so, this is yet another obvious bug which should have been easily predicted and rectified during testing. It seems that I have probably bought a 16GB card when there really should have been no need. Whenever I tried to perform any admin function with the existing GB & NI map, it was greyed out in the list of maps, merely saying that this map is already on the device. I can see by looking up this problem on Google, that there are very many other people who have had similar problems, but the topic has always been closed without there being no satisfactory solution. Out of sheer bloody-mindedness, I'm tempted to take out the SD card, then re-load the latest version of the map onto the device itself, just to see how much spare storage space is then left. I suppose that will at least leave me with another spare SD card to use in my camera.
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    Well that was a big mistake. I took the SD card out of the device, connected it to the computer and logged into MyDrive. It told me that it was completely up to date, even though there were no maps installed. Even worse, my map list now only contains the full Europe map, therefore providing no option to switch back to GB and NI. Meanwhile, having put the SD card back into the device, it seems stuck on the continuous revolving circle saying, 'Loading maps'. I have no idea if it really is loading them (although why, if it never needed to before?) or if I am now stuck with an unusable device. I can't even perform a reset while it is whirring away, unless I take the card out and try again.

I am also not keen on the way there is no safe disconnect option showing either in MyDrive or on my computer. I have to resort to simply unplugging it and hoping for the best.
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    Oh great. :tired_face: I had to reset the device and after logging back into MyDrive, not only do I no longer have any other map choices, I realise that all the other voices have disappeared as well, leaving me with only Serena – I think I always preferred Jane. Everything I previously removed to create more space has disappeared, and there's still no way of putting the map back on the device, so if the SD card fails the device could now be useless.

I've just checked on the device as well, just in case the voices magically reappeared during the reset. They haven't. Having resorted to Google again, I can see that yet again, this has happened to other people and the only way to restore them is to get TomTom to reinstate them on your account. Is there any way of reporting this thread to admin, in the hope that TomTom can sort it out?

It took me a while, but I eventually found the direct contact form, in which I provided TomTom with a link to this thread. I should imagine that one of the reasons for preferring to go back to the GB and NI map, is that the full European map takes a hell of a lot longer to update. Also, thanks to Brexit, driving to Europe will no longer be worth the hassle anyway. :wink:

Edit: I have been reunited with Jane via MyDrive. I think she might have been there all the time. I'm still wondering how to get the GB & NI map back though. I should imagine most people might welcome the whole Europe map and never wish to go back to a smaller one – except perhaps because of the lengthier update. I would also like to carry out a test to see if I really did need to spend £10 on that SDHC card.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,958
     Superuser
    Hi
    @PeterSharpe

Phone Tomtom Support:flag_gb:
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Ask nicely... "If it will be possible to allocate the UK&ROI Map to your account"
    You may get lucky

The later/Latest devices have less customizing features than the previous ranges....
    I find the computer Voices like Serena or Malcolm the better option the Computer TTS voices have a more comprehensive instruction set

For general improvement for a NAV4/5(WiFi) devices over the default settings

Use a Computer voice... like Serena or Malcolm
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed...
    (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now give a spoken warning for....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Average Speed camera Zone'
    'Red Light Camera'
    'Spoken Traffic delays'

ATB YFM
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    I did notice that I had previously made Serena the chosen voice and I think I now remember that I selected it because the 'Jane' voice has now changed from the one I used to love on my old, original TomTom Go. The voice on that was wonderfully realistic, and I would still be using it today, except that something changed with the way the satellites were accessed. A firmware update was issued for some models but mine just missed out. It was taking at least 20 minutes to lock onto enough satellites to get a proper fix. I used to update the speed cameras on it from the pocketgpsworld website, but I haven't bothered updating them since my Go 50 free subscription expired.

I don't understand why all the maps that were available via MyDrive have suddenly disappeared. This seems to be some kind of an error, so was assuming they could be returned automatically, although it's only the GB & NI one I need to test the theory that an incomplete map had somehow got stuck in the internal storage and taken up all of the space. I'm relectant to phone because couldn't afford to renew my TalkTalk Anytime calls package and now have to pay the standard rate per minute.
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    I have now noticed an option, that isn't immediately apparent, to install a smaller map. But the only options are based on the full European map. Where has the GB & Ireland one gone? Has TomTom stopped producing it? Having finally succeeded in clearing the internal storage, I would prefer the option of installing the smaller map in the internal storage and using the 16GB SDHC card, which I shouldn't really need, to expand the storage in a phone.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @PeterSharpe

As far as I know your NAV4 GO 50, like my GO 5000 when new, it came with (8GB Onboard Memory) the Full Europe Map installed and only the Full Europe Map, the Europe Map (Without 3D Buildings) or Europe Map zones available to download

As @LAURE123 explains in the post linked below....

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/move-data-from-my-go500-to-the-items-sd-card-1041259#post1241492

You have to have a Map installed before the device will even Start-up
    You have to have to a least small Map installed onto the Main Memory as pading before you can force the Full Europe Map onto a MicroSD Card...

Back then I had to purchase a GB&ROI Map to be able to force the Full Europe Map onto a MicroSD Card I never bothered to update the GB&ROI Map, just used it for padding out the memory

Try Phoning Tomtom Support:flag_gb:
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Ask nicely... "If it will be possible to allocate the UK&ROI or some other small Map to your account" to pad out the onboard Memory, to force the Full Europe Map onto a MicroSD Card

You may get lucky

My NAV 5 (Wifi) devices have (Free World Maps) I can choose any Map to install and have 16GB of onboard Memory to play with so its easy

ATB YFM
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    I didn't know my Go 50 had a Nav 4 prefix, but it certainly came with the UK & ROI map, as I only tried the full Europe map as an experiment to try to force it to use the SD card instead of the internal storage. It just so happens that I shortly intend to replace a horrible Nokia Windows phone with one that can take the same kind of SD card, otherwise I'd persist with the full Europe map, even though I'll almost certainly never need it. I will phone support tomorrow, although as it's a chargeable number, I hope it isn't one of those that puts you through several lots of multi-options before you even get to speak to somebody. (I've been caught out with too many of those recently).
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    Just to get this problem officially explained: after reading the comments from other users, am I correct in thinking that TomTom has withdrawn the UK & Ireland map from the download options, forcing users either to phone up and ask for it to be reinstated, or else buy an SD card (my Sandisk 16GB microSDHC was £10 from Wilko) on which to fit the only visible option of the full Europe map? If so, this seems a dreadful decision with regard to customer relations.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @PeterSharpe
    38fe378a-8438-4834-ab00-36b6e07d15bb.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • PeterSharpe
    Master Explorer
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @PeterSharpe
    ATB YFM
    There are now two threads on this same subject, but as I stated on the other one, this map is completely hidden from me.