Runner 3 battery drain issue - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Runner 3 battery drain issue

2»

Comments

  • Wayne911Wayne911 Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Did the factory reset, so will see how things go.
  • spannershyspannershy Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have had exactly the same problem as others for the last 2 weeks the watch previously lasted for at least a full day until the most recent update to 1.7.64 after that the battery has been draining so quickly that I have to charge it twice a day. I have factory reset the watch and turned of the constant sync to phone, it is now on manual sync only and yet it still drains within a few hours.
    I am currently reviewing this issue and a few searches have turned up a lot of the same complaints. It looks like this is a common problem with the latest few software versions and as TomTom are stopping support for their wearables I cannot justify buying a new Spark3 or adventurer.
    This looks like either an active decision to create an issue that closes the TomTom sports website by stopping all demand from the users of the hardware, or at the very least a support software team that has been pared back so far that they can no longer respond and repair software bugs in a timely manner.
    Either way the only choice seems to be a new brand of fitness watch, which in my opinion is a great shame.
    In addition I no longer need a car sat nav (was also a TomTom), thanks to Waze, hence I can't see what technology the company will be providing in the future.
  • Wayne911Wayne911 Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    so no improvement following the factory reset. Interestingly I charged today directly from a usb power plug, battery on watch showed full. I then plugged into my laptop and synced. As soon as I unplugged from the software, battery showed is was only 50%!!!! WTF TomTom, now back charging from directly from the power plug. Waiting to be fully charged so I can run 30 kms today. Can't do that when on 50% charged.
  • PhysisPhysis Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I've started to have troubles with battery life approximately a month ago, after an update to 1.7.64. Very quickly it got to the point when the battery of supposedly full charged watch was dying after 4 km already! I was training for a half marathon and I was so pissed off. Moreover, it usually did not save my activity so I was not able to analyze my pace, heart rate etc after the run. During the half marathon last weekend I switched off the heart rate monitor, otherwise the battery would be dead within first 30 minutes of my run. Without heart rate monitor it lasted for 16 km (83 minutes approximately), then died without saving my activity. Super annoying! I am now going to try a factory reset but if it doesn't help...
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,789 Superusers
    Physis wrote:
    I've started to have troubles with battery life approximately a month ago, after an update to 1.7.64. Very quickly it got to the point when the battery of supposedly full charged watch was dying after 4 km already! I was training for a half marathon and I was so pissed off. Moreover, it usually did not save my activity so I was not able to analyze my pace, heart rate etc after the run. During the half marathon last weekend I switched off the heart rate monitor, otherwise the battery would be dead within first 30 minutes of my run. Without heart rate monitor it lasted for 16 km (83 minutes approximately), then died without saving my activity. Super annoying! I am now going to try a factory reset but if it doesn't help...
    You need to get a roll back to 1.3.255 which was the last update before the battery drain was introduced.

    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/unable-to-pair-sync-after-update-to-firmware-v1-7-53-runner-and-spark-watch-series-1030088
  • NostromoNostromo Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Hello,

    same here. My Spark3-HR-Music went from almost 12 hours GPS-only mode when I bought it, down to merely 3.5 hours. Running with HR and no music, the watch hardly survives my 1 hour runs.
    Also I noticed the problem, that when the watch is fully charged and I disconnect it from the charger cable, the battery indicator drops down from full to about 2/3.
    I never used it as a daily fitness tracker, but even if I wanted to nowadays, the watch would not last the night.

    This is really frustrating, as I really loved this watch (when battery life was not a problem) : /
  • C J CrumlyC J Crumly Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Physis wrote:
    I've started to have troubles with battery life approximately a month ago, after an update to 1.7.64. Very quickly it got to the point when the battery of supposedly full charged watch was dying after 4 km already! I was training for a half marathon and I was so pissed off. Moreover, it usually did not save my activity so I was not able to analyze my pace, heart rate etc after the run. During the half marathon last weekend I switched off the heart rate monitor, otherwise the battery would be dead within first 30 minutes of my run. Without heart rate monitor it lasted for 16 km (83 minutes approximately), then died without saving my activity. Super annoying! I am now going to try a factory reset but if it doesn't help...
    You need to get a roll back to 1.3.255 which was the last update before the battery drain was introduced.

    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/unable-to-pair-sync-after-update-to-firmware-v1-7-53-runner-and-spark-watch-series-1030088Hello,

    same here. My Spark3-HR-Music went from almost 12 hours GPS-only mode when I bought it, down to merely 3.5 hours. Running with HR and no music, the watch hardly survives my 1 hour runs.
    Also I noticed the problem, that when the watch is fully charged and I disconnect it from the charger cable, the battery indicator drops down from full to about 2/3.
    I never used it as a daily fitness tracker, but even if I wanted to nowadays, the watch would not last the night.

    This is really frustrating, as I really loved this watch (when battery life was not a problem) : /Hello,

    same here. My Spark3-HR-Music went from almost 12 hours GPS-only mode when I bought it, down to merely 3.5 hours. Running with HR and no music, the watch hardly survives my 1 hour runs.
    Also I noticed the problem, that when the watch is fully charged and I disconnect it from the charger cable, the battery indicator drops down from full to about 2/3.
    I never used it as a daily fitness tracker, but even if I wanted to nowadays, the watch would not last the night.

    This is really frustrating, as I really loved this watch (when battery life was not a problem) : /Hello,

    same here. My Spark3-HR-Music went from almost 12 hours GPS-only mode when I bought it, down to merely 3.5 hours. Running with HR and no music, the watch hardly survives my 1 hour runs.
    Also I noticed the problem, that when the watch is fully charged and I disconnect it from the charger cable, the battery indicator drops down from full to about 2/3.
    I never used it as a daily fitness tracker, but even if I wanted to nowadays, the watch would not last the night.

    This is really frustrating, as I really loved this watch (when battery life was not a problem) : /
    An issue that still has not been fixed and still 'fobbing-off' - Rock bottom confidence in the battery life of the watch as claimed when purchased - refusing to refund.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,789 Superusers
    C J Crumly wrote:
    An issue that still has not been fixed and still 'fobbing-off' - Rock bottom confidence in the battery life of the watch as claimed when purchased - refusing to refund.
    TT Sports went out of business a year ago and stopped all development and production, laying off the entire staff. It is never going to be fixed, the watches are legacy devices at this point and are dead from a development standpoint Sucks, but that is the way it is.
  • C J CrumlyC J Crumly Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    If that's the case then I will have to pursue a full refund through PayPal Buyer Protection - I was not aware of this TT business issue when I made this purchase 3 months ago.
    I've had a so-called 'repair' with no change in the 'replaced' watch module - and for the past 2 months I have had almost no confidence that the watch can even deliver 30% of it's specified battery life using GPS.

    I'm not prepared to accept 'that's the way it is' quite yet.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,789 Superusers
    C J Crumly wrote:
    If that's the case then I will have to pursue a full refund through PayPal Buyer Protection - I was not aware of this TT business issue when I made this purchase 3 months ago.
    I've had a so-called 'repair' with no change in the 'replaced' watch module - and for the past 2 months I have had almost no confidence that the watch can even deliver 30% of it's specified battery life using GPS.

    I'm not prepared to accept 'that's the way it is' quite yet.
    Good luck with PayPal, but I am pretty sure your not doing your homework ahead of time to discover they were out of business is not covered. It was big news and is well documented on Google as well as all the tech review sites like DCRainmaker.com.
  • C J CrumlyC J Crumly Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Well....this is the kind of homework I would consider that as a consumer no-one should be required to do.
    If they were out of business - they should not have been marketing and selling their product or should not have been allowed to continue marketing and selling their products and then the purchase would not have been made - especially not directly from their own website!
  • ClovellyTTClovellyTT Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    My TT Runner 3 battery packed up completely, obviously a battery fault. I decided to go it alone and bought a replacement on AliExpress - most definitely a grey product. Did the tear-down and replacement myself and so far so good - the watch works and the new battery holds charge very well. Total cost was equivalent of about $15. For me it was more a challenge to see if it can be done as according to the manufacturers the battery is not a replaceable item and for that reason no official replacement battery is available. I am now back to Garmin unfortunately as the Runner 3 was really an almost great product - real value for money if it was't for the support issues, including well below par wrist straps (replaced about 3 times, also Chinese, but I understand that at one stage TomTom were replacing them under warranty). I also think the toggle button for menu navigation worked great and menu layout was better than Garmin. Now I have a working watch but no use for it anymore.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online31

Bausanierung
Bausanierung
Bembo
Bembo
DougLap
DougLap
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
geronimojo
geronimojo
GP6250
GP6250
Joe Q
Joe Q
t.heigl
t.heigl
TomDone
TomDone
+22 Guests