Tom Tom Go 1005 keeps shutting down — TomTom Community

Tom Tom Go 1005 keeps shutting down

My Tom Tom Go 1005 shuts down within minutes of it being on, then it restarts, then it shuts down again! This is happening a lot now and it's very frustrating. I DO use the correct charger lead that came with the Sat Nav. Any ideas please?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    And the connection is tight in both the device and the cig lighter outlet?

If the device is connected to the computer, does it shut down as well?
  • Travelling TrioTravelling Trio Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    It seems tight, when I connected to the computer to update the map it did shut down a few times but since the update it seems ok on computer. Do you think replacing the cig lighter plug would help?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    Do you use the cig lighter plug to charge any other device such as a smartphone?
    No I don't, I have spoken to Tom Tom support and they say I have to charge the sat nav via an external power source for at least 2 hours (rather than the car cig charger). I am trying that now with fingers crossed!
    I charged the device overnight on mains power and then connected it to the car charger via the supplies leads and drove for half an hour before it started shutting down and starting up again, Tom Tom have now said I can have it repaired at a cost of £80. Not sure whether to do that of just buy a Garmin!