Anyone else have trouble keeping the micro USB connected when updating? — TomTom Community

Anyone else have trouble keeping the micro USB connected when updating?

I have had three different models over 10 years and every one that uses the flattened micro USB style connector makes and breaks (noticeably loose) while updating. My latest did it since day one. It's a START 25. You might suspect the cable, but I have ordered three and all are visibly loose. If it is the device, then I have had three different models over those years all with defective micro USB ports? I am not abusive plugging and unplugging, careful not to rock up and down or back and forth.. (Scratching my head here..)

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    Hi
    @AIVIA

I have 8 Tomtom devices of assorted models, I've never had a USB Socket or Cable problem, my Via 120 Live was purchased in 2011, the USB lead has been plugged and unplugged many many times over the years, as with all the other devices

Maybe... "Download/Installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

ATB YFM
  • AIVIAAIVIA Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Thank you YamFazMan!
    By default Windows 10 leaves the USB suspend setting "Enabled"!
    I followed your advice and disabled the setting. Here's how I did it:

Click Start button and type POWER & SLEEP (while typing, a list should appear with:

"Power & Sleep settings" (click these)
    "Additional power settings" (left column)
    "Change plan settings" (choose active, if more than one)
    "Change advanced power settings"
    "USB settings"
    "USB selective suspend setting"
    change "Enabled" to "Disabled"

(There may be an "on battery" if using a portable device.)
    you may change either or both if you prefer. on battery may slightly effect your battery life if not allowed to suspend.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    Hi
    @AIVIA

Glad to see you're sorted :relaxed:

ATB YFM