How to get more life out of a TomTom XL? — TomTom Community

How to get more life out of a TomTom XL?

EpicLPerEpicLPer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hey there,

First of all I know the old TomTom XL devices are EoL (End of Life) and are not receiving any updates anymore, that's the whole reason for this thread.

Now I also know that it may be frowned upon what I'm going to ask for here but since I cannot officially buy any updates anymore and my mom, who the TomTom XL belongs to, has an emotional bond to the device and won't switch to a newer device (not kidding with that one, a family member that the XL previously belonged to died a couple of years ago and she got the XL after his passing and won't give it up ever since) I want to ask if there's any way to still get some use out of it.
We were driving around today and 2 out of 10 times it'd just show wrong infos or newer streets won't even show up on the maps since those are 2+ years old or so. That's another reason for this topic.

I'll come straight to the point: Is there any way to still get updates for this device? Be it hacking or in any other, maybe even still official way? I'm really tech-y when it comes to those kind of things but the stuff I found online so far just sounds shady, I don't want to attempt any of that and possibly risking a brick...

If possible please don't just close this thread, I already tried getting my mom a new device but she just won't switch over. Tbh I don't really like the XL with it's wonky touchscreen, slow update rates and sluggishness but she still refuses to give it away to this day...

Thanks a ton!

Comments

• justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    There is no official method but it wouldn't take you long to google an alternative gpsurl type forum for (unofficial) forums where this is still possible (not that I condone this or support this illegal activity of course)
  • EpicLPerEpicLPer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    There is no official method but it wouldn't take you long to google an alternative gpsurl type forum for (unofficial) forums where this is still possible (not that I condone this or support this illegal activity of course)
    I know that, I also don't like doing stuff that way. Ever since I earn my own money I completely stopped doing "said stuff". Yet if a company discontinues a product that would still work fine and someone still wants to use what other options would I have? Sadly none...