Rider 550 won’t connect properly with Schubert SC1 (Sena 10U) and iPhone XS — TomTom Community

Rider 550 won’t connect properly with Schubert SC1 (Sena 10U) and iPhone XS

macleodalmacleodal Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 29 in RIDER
Am driving myself crazy here hope someone can help. I have (I think) some top-drawer kit here.. I doubt I’m unique in combining these components... why then, oh why, has basic connectivity testing not been done? I wouldn’t mind if TomTom and/or Schuberth/Sena actually published compatibilities but they don’t!

Trying to connect my almost new 550 to my Schuberth SC1 in-helmet headset and my new iPhone XS. I have followed the TomTom video for multichannel headsets... doesn’t work:
  • Seems like the TomTom simply will not pair with the second mobile phone option on the SC1 (only on the primary)
  • Does not seem to make any difference whether A2DP is selected on the TomTom or not (I believe both phone connections on the SC1 are capable of A2DP)
  • When I tried pairing the TomTom to the primary mobile on the SC1, my iPhone would not connect to the secondary
Bottom line is I feel like I have tried every permutation, in every order. Each time not just clearing the pairings but 1) factory resetting the SC1, 2) deleting the paired devices from the 550 and then power-cycling it off and on again, 3) deleting all the pairing from the phone and then cycling Bluetooth off and on again.

So. Can it be that a top Satnav, a top phone and a top headset simple are not compatible?

Anyone found same? Any hack to fix it? Any chance of TomTon weighing in here???

Thanks all,

A

Comments

• AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 260 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi, not really having any of your equipment except the TTR550 ...

... but are you sure that you should connect the TTR550 as a phone with your SC1? Normally, in headsets, they should connect to the GPS using GPS mode and not ordinary phone mode ...? Does this make any sense? Anything more specific in the headset manual?

Have a nice day,
    Anders

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    As I can see you’ve done what you should but every detail is needed to come to a safe conclusion. Please let us know what you did and seen step by step.

Be sure that you have update all of your devices to latest firmware version.

I would suggest to open a support ticket to both TomTom & Schuberth / SENA.

... but are you sure that you should connect the TTR550 as a phone with your SC1? Normally, in headsets, they should connect to the GPS using GPS mode and not ordinary phone mode ...? Does this make any sense? Anything more specific in the headset manual?

Have a nice day,
    Anders
    Second mobile = GPS etc for SENA...
    macleodal wrote:
    So. Can it be that a top Satnav, a top phone and a top headset simple are not compatible?
    Top (and expensive) doesn’t mean compatible or reliable. This is the reality... Only closed systems like Apple’s ecosystem may work almost flawlessly. Anything else can be full of surprises...

Extensive research is needed to find compatible parts.
    Anyone found same? Any hack to fix it? Any chance of TomTon weighing in here???

As I can see with a quick google search you’re not the only one with that problem...
  • macleodalmacleodal Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]

Have a nice day,
    Anders

Anders - thank you for this note. But yes, I'm (almost) certain just because of logic. The TomTom only allows one GPS device and one headset device to be paired with it (when you go into Bluetooth you have the options "Add Phone" and "Add Headset"); it follows I think that the SC1 must be added as a headset, and equally if I don't connect the GPS to my phone "as a phone" then there will be no data path between the cellular data from the phone and the MyDrive functionality on the TomTom.

I am fairly sure ultimately the answer to these issues lies within which device-pair picks up which Bluetooth profiles. e.g. when the phone connects to the headset it must pick up the Bluetooth HFP (Hands Free Profile). The significance of the GPS-specific connectivity in headsets is, I think, to make a determination which audio takes priority - typically the turn by turn instructions from the GPS should take precedence over e.g. a phonecall or media streaming from your phone.

To be fair I have not tried telling the GPS I want to connect the headset "as a phone" but I am 100% sure this would not work. As mentioned the only pairing options offered by the GPS are "Connect Phone" and "Connect Headset"... I am using "Connect Headset" to connect the SC1 and "Connect Phone" to connect the iPhone but - no matter in which combination I connect those things and also make the second audio connection GPS-to-headset, it still does not work.

Hope this explains my problem further even if it doesn't get us any nearer to an answer!

Thanks again though. All inputs gratefully received.

Alastair
  • macleodalmacleodal Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ste7ios wrote:
    As I can see you’ve done what you should but every detail is needed to come to a safe conclusion. Please let us know what you did and seen step by step.

Be sure that you have update all of your devices to latest firmware version.

I would suggest to open a support ticket to both TomTom & Schuberth / SENA.

Ste7ios,

OK I took your advice and tried as many different options as my patience could stand. Before I begin, let me clarify that when I refer to HS (Phone 1) I am referring to the "Mobile Phone Pairing" option in the SC1 manual section 5.1, and when I refer to HS (Phone 2) I am referring to the "Second Mobile Phone Pairing" in the manual section 5.2. Also to be very specific, my SC1 has been updated to the current firmware, my phone is an iPhone XS running IOS 12.0.1, and my TomTom Rider 550 is running the latest firmware and has the latest maps.

After each attempt I i) deleted all pairings on the TomTom and powered the TomTom off / on again, ii) deleted all pairings from the iPhone, iii) Factory-reset the headset.

Attempt #1
    1. Pair Phone to GPS.
    2. Pair GPS to HS (Phone 1)
    3. Pair iPhone to HS (Phone 2)
    Step 1 completed.
    Step 2 failed, TomTom was unable to pair with phone.

Attempt #2
    1. Pair Phone to GPS
    2. Pair iPhone to HS (Phone 1)
    3. Pair GPS to HS (Phone 2)
    Step 1 completed.
    Step 2 completed.
    Step 3 failed, the SC1 headset appeared as an option on the TomTom when the HS was in Phone 2 pairing mode, however after 60 seconds it had still not completed so I abandoned.

Attempt #3 (the method recommended by TomTom)
    1. Pair iPhone to HS (Phone 1)
    2. Pair GPS to iPhone
    3. Pair GPS to HS (Phone 2)
    Step 1 completed.
    Step 2 failed, TomTom reported pairing unsuccessful.

Attempt #4
    1. Pair iPhone to HS (Phone 2)
    2. Pair GPS to iPhone
    3. Pair GPS to HS (Phone 1)
    Step 1 completed.
    Step 2 failed, TomTom reported pairing unsuccessful.
    **FOR INTEREST**
    ...at this point I tried anyway to complete Step 3 (connect the GPS to the HS Phone 1 option without having completed Step 2). SC1 appeared as an option on the TomTom when the HS was in Phone 1 pairing mode, however after 60 seconds it had still not completed so I abandoned.

[BREAK]

So I hope this is clear and stepwise enough to see what I'm doing. It's hard to believe that, if these devices are capable of working together in the manner they should be capable, that one of these options would not work. But they don't.

Any inputs welcome!

Thank you,

Alastair

6fb183bd-7096-4531-bb47-5aa98a74aabe.jpg6270d0dc-2a04-4eb5-8a40-edbfe2777a2c.jpg