TomTom Spark 3 +Cadence sensor — TomTom Community

TomTom Spark 3 +Cadence sensor

Dang100Dang100 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
Hi,

i have a spark 3 and would like to start tracking cadence on the bike. I’ve read that TomTom has only tested it with combine data speed and cadence sensors (their own and the wahoo one). I just want a cadence sensor on it’s own as (a) the combined sensor is an extra 30 quid and (b) the speed measurements I get on th watch already are fine.

does anyone know if the watch will work receiving the cadence data from an external sensor and the speed data from it’s internal gps?

thansk
dan

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,676
    Superusers
    It will not as far as I know. It will only read dual speed/cadence sensors, so you need to get a dual sensor. Speed is read off GPS anyway when outdoors, so that is not an issue, but it will not pick up just cadence from a cadence only sensor as far as anyone has reported. You can always get a cadence sensor from a store that allows returns, try it out and if it does not work, return it.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Dang100Dang100 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks. Not what i wanted to hear but you did answer the question :relaxed:
    Just to add to this for anyone else with the same problem. I ended up buying this little beastie

https://www.amazon.es/Lixada-Wireless-Bicicleta-Computadora-Velocímetro/dp/B0757M5MJ1

13 of your european euros. It's not going to win any prizes for build quality - the whole thing kind of springs apart in your hand when you're fitting the battery. And its almost certainly not waterproof. But for 13 euros you could buy 5 more and still come out better than the wahoo one. Its pairs up with my Tomtom spark 3 with no problem and seemed to show cadence pretty well this morning (also paired up with my phone and the wahoo app with no problems). I can't vouch for its accuracy and its a little slow to react to changes in cadence but again... 13 euros. Depends on what you're after really. I just want a bit of guidance to make sure i'm in the right ballpark and for that its perfect. In fact i'm going to buy another so i can have one on the bike and one for the gym.
    Superusers
    Dang100 wrote:
    Just to add to this for anyone else with the same problem. I ended up buying this little beastie

https://www.amazon.es/Lixada-Wireless-Bicicleta-Computadora-Velocímetro/dp/B0757M5MJ1

13 of your european euros. It's not going to win any prizes for build quality - the whole thing kind of springs apart in your hand when you're fitting the battery. And its almost certainly not waterproof. But for 13 euros you could buy 5 more and still come out better than the wahoo one. Its pairs up with my Tomtom spark 3 with no problem and seemed to show cadence pretty well this morning (also paired up with my phone and the wahoo app with no problems). I can't vouch for its accuracy and its a little slow to react to changes in cadence but again... 13 euros. Depends on what you're after really. I just want a bit of guidance to make sure i'm in the right ballpark and for that its perfect. In fact i'm going to buy another so i can have one on the bike and one for the gym.
    Is this cadence only (so only on the pedals, not on the spokes)? Does the watch read it for cadence and GPS for speed and distance? If so, that is good news as in the past the watch had trouble recognizing cadence only sensors.
    Sorry for the late reply.

yes it’s cadence only. The watch reads the sensor for cadence and GPS for speed. After about a months use I’ve noticed the connection can drop out from time to time, especially at very low (below 50) or high (above 110) cadences. It’s most relianble when the sensor is fixed to the crank and th watch is mounted on the handlebars. I also use it in the gym with the cadence sensor down my sock. It works pretty well but the connection is less reliable. If you really want to log detailed cadence data you’re probably better off with a more expensive sensor. But if you just want to get a feel for the right cadence then this thing is perfect.

Good news is, even if you plum for a more expensive sensor y9u only need to get a standalone cadence sensor.
  • MaxeiamMaxeiam Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Dang100 wrote:
    Sorry for the late reply.

yes it’s cadence only. The watch reads the sensor for cadence and GPS for speed. After about a months use I’ve noticed the connection can drop out from time to time, especially at very low (below 50) or high (above 110) cadences. It’s most relianble when the sensor is fixed to the crank and th watch is mounted on the handlebars. I also use it in the gym with the cadence sensor down my sock. It works pretty well but the connection is less reliable. If you really want to log detailed cadence data you’re probably better off with a more expensive sensor. But if you just want to get a feel for the right cadence then this thing is perfect.

Good news is, even if you plum for a more expensive sensor y9u only need to get a standalone cadence sensor.
    Dang100, does tomtom shows speed from GPS correct when you pedaling? Some saying about problem - when the pedaling speed is 0 (data from sensor), when no pedaling - speed is OK (from GPS). Discussion is here https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/runner-multi-sport-184/pair-with-wahoo-rpm-cadence-sensor-973949
    And thank you!
    I don’t monitor speed while I’m cycling so not sure if the live speed display is showing properly. I can do a test this weekend. I can tell you, though, that the recorded speed as uploaded to the app seems to be accurate.
  • MaxeiamMaxeiam Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    It would be nice! i'll waiting for.
    Sorry took me a while to get round to doing the test. Tried it this afternoon and the speed reads fine when cadence is 0, above 0 or even before it’s picked up the cadence sensor. So it’s reading the speed from gps and cadence from the cadence sensor.
  • dansportsdansports Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i bought a cedence and a speed sensor (IGPSPORTS) and is recognized by tomtom cardio spark BUT or 1 or 2 not both at the same time...weird!

These ones:
    - CADENCE (iGPSPORT C61) :
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0741BLZQW?tag=duc0d-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

- SPEED (iGPSPORT SPD61 )
    https://www.amazon.es/iGPSPORT-C61-Versión-Española-computadores/dp/B0741BJ42J/ref=sr_1_12?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=ML01KR2QGOLO&dchild=1&keywords=igpsport+velocidad+y+cadencia&qid=1593121470&s=sports&sprefix=igpsport+,sporting,189&sr=1-12

Tested with a Garmin Forerunner they work right. I have the problem that it only recognizes one of the 2 (whatever is recognized first) but i hope to fix that someday.

Probably i will do some Youtube vid soon.
    Superusers
    It supports any BT+ Speed/Cadence sensor but it needs to be a dual sensor, not separate speed and cadence as there is only one channel. As to maintaining a list, TT Sports went out of business over 2.5 years ago an all products have been discontinued. There is very limited support and no further development so there should not be newcomers. Did you really just buy the watch? If so, why? These products have been dead for years..