making a route - and changing it on the road.

erik merik m Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 31 in RIDER
At home, I put in the address of my target in my Tomtom 450 and saved the route under "my routes." When I started, it was a traffic jam on the route, so I started on a different road, to enter the original route about half-way. I expected that my Tomtom would recalculate the new route, but it did not. I turned off the routing until I was on the original road, and expected that Tomtom would take up the route from there to my target. But it insisted upon taking me back home first, before I again could start on the original route. (50 kilometres back home, and then another 50 to get back to where i was...) I got a bit confused, had to erase the route and put in the original address again on the first possible stop.
Is that how this function works? Is there a smart way to get around it?

Comments

• AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 257 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi, may I ask why you save it as a route and then use the route instead of just riding towards your destination? Then it wouldn't matter which changes you decide to make, it will always re-calculate the route as you chose your own roads ...
    Have a nice day,
    Anders

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Some times you’ve to deviate a lot of your initial route to have a recalculation of the entire route. It depends on the route, traffic conditions and other map data...

See your choices to force it to change a route: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/html/en-gb/index.htm#Changingyourroute.htm

Also if a traffic jam is detected it will calculate an alternative.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/html/en-gb/index.htm#Traffic.htm
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,799 Superusers
    Hi
    @erik m
    erik m wrote:
    At home, I put in the address of my target in my Tomtom 450 and saved the route under "my routes."
    When you create a journey on the device and save it to MyRoutes using... Tap on the displayed planned route -> Tap on the 3Dot Icon -> Manage Route-> Add to My Routes
    The route is saved as a .ITN route, an .ITN Route is saved with a solid arrow

25ec1299-c3ab-4ce3-8cb2-561bd342a7da.jpg
    The advantage or in your case disadvantage of a .ITN route is it will doggedly follow the route...
    Also... If you have set Stops it will rigidity follow the stops in the order they were created
    You have to manually delete stops to edit/change the route

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    AndersNord: I was going to visit friends who had a cottage rather way out in the bush. When they came to see us a couple of weeks before, they explained that most gps gave wrong directions when the nearest address was given up. So we carefully made the correct route and then I saved it. Obviously this didn't work, and Tomtom insisted on taking me back home before I could start on this route.
  • erik merik m Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Sto7ios: Thank you for your answer. I know about these opportunities. They are, however, useless when your destination doesn't have a proper address. There are still quite a few places in Norway that doesn't fit into the gps mappings. You need specific instructions to get there. In my case I had to make a phonecall to my friends and receive continious directions through my head set. What I had hoped for, was that Tomtom would lead me to the nearest part of the route and direct me from there. I believe a route made in Tyre would work that way, does anybody know?
    YamFazMan, thank you for your reply. Disadvantage is the word, as Tomtom would give me approx 100 kilometres extra to get to my destination, by first taking me back home again;)
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    A route has a starting and a destination point and perhaps some stops in between... When you open a route it will guide you to the starting point to begin your journey, but you can change that by selecting the available options:

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/html/en-gb/index.htm#MyRoutes.htm

In your case you just needed to save the location of your friend...

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/html/en-gb/index.htm#AddingalocationfromMyPlaces.htm

Also if I am not mistaken you could find your destination in the recent history.

Tyre will not make a difference.
    Ste7ios. Thanks again for answering. Yes, I could have done what you suggested, but - Tomtom would still have given me a wrong route, as the map is not correct. that goes for several minor roads in Norway (perhaps also in other countries?)The problem is that the local authorities does not always register the roads to place without proper addresses far away. You simply have to create the exact route on instructions from locals.
    So, either I would have to follow the route from my house and never deviate from it - or simply wait until Tomtom makes a program that lets you enter your route at any given place - without first sending you home again. A tip to tomtom?
    Like: "Turn right on the path when you come to the big oak, and then the next path to the left where the river bends southwards and you will see it three kilometres to the southwest" -ish. If you see what i mean. You could plot that as a route, but not ask for a different route on the gps.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,799 Superusers
    Hi
    @erik m

If you use Stops as a route modifiers you can Long Tap (Tap and hold for +1 Second) On the required Stop Icon -> Tap on the 3Dot Icon... Use as a Starting point -> Tap the (Drive) Icon
    The device will calculate the Route from your present location to the New starting point then use the remainder of your previously planned route to your friends cottage....

You can also Long Tap (Tap and hold for +1 Second) at a convenient location anywhere along the route -> Tap on the 3Dot Icon... Use as a Starting point -> Tap the (Drive) Icon
    The device will calculate the Route from your present location to the New starting point then use the remainder of your previously planned route to your friends cottage....

Note... Long Tap (Tap and hold for +1 Second) and Short Taps on the screen give different Menu Options....

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Tyre has a very nice FAQ about route design (where you should place a stop/waypoint, etc).
    "You can also Long Tap (Tap and hold for +1 Second) at a convenient location anywhere along the route -> Tap on the 3Dot Icon... Use as a Starting point -> Tap the (Drive) Icon
    The device will calculate the Route from your present location to the New starting point then use the remainder of your previously planned route to your friends cottage...."

That would have solved it, as I hadn't made any stops on the route.
    Thanks!
  • vitmanovvitmanov Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Enter an address or city to begin or alternatively zoom and drag the map using the controls on the left to pinpoint the start of your route. Draw your walking or running route by double clicking on the map to set the starting point. Then click once for each of the points along the route you wish to create.