No "read allowed" warnings GO Camper — TomTom Community

No "read allowed" warnings GO Camper

iandsmjohnsoniandsmjohnson Posts: 17 [Master Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Services
I purchased a Go Camper a few days ago. Everything is updated correctly however I cannot get it to give me a "read allowed" warning for speed cameras, even though it does give me a read allowed warning for accident blackspots as well as the three beeps. The warning type under sounds and warnings is set to "read allowed" and so is read allowed traffic warnings.

if exceeding the speed limit all I get is the three annoying beeps instead of the voice warning.

I just want this new very expensive sat nave to do eat it says it should. Have I bought a lemon that need returning to the seller.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,634
    Superusers
    Hi
    @iandsmjohnson

Check.... Are any of the Voice Instruction turned off... i.e Slashed through the Icon

b5a99e1e-31b8-48c7-8449-a43d8cc7f0b6.jpg

Also....
    Tap 4Dot (....Menu) Setting --> Voices...
    Set the Next 5 options to ON
    Set the 6th option as required

For general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red light Camera'
    'Spoken Traffic delays'

Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ???? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

ATB YFM
  • iandsmjohnsoniandsmjohnson Posts: 17 [Master Traveler]
    Thank you for your reply. I checked I have all the settings as you describe. Did a reset but still no spoken warnings sadly.

I think it a a call to customer services in the morning and if they cannot cure the issue it’s a refund and perhaps an exchange.

dissappointing a unit this expensive does not work as it should straigh out of the box
    Superusers
    Hi
    @iandsmjohnson

You also need to be using the Computer voice Serena or Malcolm

ATB YFM
    Thanks, I am using Serena. She doesn’t seem to mind!?
    Well I contacted support three times today. Tried a reset, tried recovery mode. Now my traffic and speed cams have been changed to lifetime as opposed to around ten days. Speak aloud warnings for camera and incidents still not working I just get the three beeps whatever I set the options to, either speak aloud, sound, or visual only. Support have escalated the issue but I have my doubts it will be resolved with this device. Amazon who I purchased it from are happy to replace it so it’s worrh a try but I suspect they are all like this. I. E. Untested or faulty software and devices sent out to retail without traffic and cameras working which do not then click on to lifetime mode when the unit is updated by the new owner. Pretty basic stuff which for a unit costing not a lot less that £400 is disgraceful.

I want To like the device as TomTom Traffic is certainly the best. It will be interesting to see if support can offer a real solution and if not whether a replacement device is any better.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @iandsmjohnson
    Amazon who I purchased it from are happy to replace it so it’s worth a try but I suspect they are all like this....
    No they are not... All of my various NAV3/4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices all Speak the Warnings aloud

ATB YFM
    I hope you are right and I get a good one next time around. I will let you know. I think it will test it to see it “speak earnings” works before I do any updates, that way I will know if it’s the device or the software.
    Spoke to support again today after I was given instructions about how to remove Serena then re install her. I am now getting three beeps and voice aloud warning on approachin speed cameras. On exceeding speed limits just the beeps no voice aloud warning so I am wondering if this is correct. Not sure if I should get both warnings together or just one. I have asked the question and await a reply but there is progress. I should mention that every time I have had contact with support they have been unfailingly polite and are obviously doing their best to assist, conversations are immediately followed up by an e-mail. That’s impressive.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @iandsmjohnson

If your set Warning to 'Read allowed' you get the Beeps + The spoken warning

Re-Check your Settings...
    For general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...

Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu... UK Serena or Malcolm)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red light Camera'
    'Accident Black Spot'
    'Spoken Traffic delays'

ATB YFM
    Thank you all set now. Was very impressed today. The device let me know about an incident which was. Aiding traffic issues which had only happened a few minutes before and showed me an alternative route saving me a lot of time.
    Even more impressed today. Had received a call from support this morning to check all was ok and to ensure I had the settings correct. I must say i have been very happy with the support I have had and those who provide it, well done Tomtom