Route Changes When Synced with Device rider 550 — TomTom Community

Route Changes When Synced with Device rider 550

ATRiderATRider Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I recently received my rider 550 for my upcoming trip. I have spent many hours building a track on google earth that I wish to ride over several days. I saved the tracks to my computer, converted to a gpx file, uploaded to mydrive app. All looked good with my route minus the way points for planned gas stops. However, when I went to sync my device, most of the route is very much deviated from my intended route.
Is there a way I can remove the devices attempt to alter my route and sync the exact route I plan to ride? Or is just just not possible with this device? Thanks

Comments

• AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 276 [Supreme Navigator]
    ATRider wrote:
    Is there a way I can remove the devices attempt to alter my route and sync the exact route I plan to ride? Or is just just not possible with this device? Thanks
    Hi, this sounds more to be the nature of a GPX file not containing a track but instead only the route points. I have never tried your combo of tools and tricks but maybe you could try to place more "shaping points" leaving the GPS with less route options, and maybe also chose curvy and/or hilly roads as route choice if that suits your plan.
    Just a thought ...
    Have a nice day,
    Anders
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 755
    Superuser
    As Anders said, that is the nature of routes.

You can use a track (it describes, it replays a route as you want) but it doesn’t have any stops, or you can use a route (it only contains your stops and a GPS calculates the route between them) but you’ave to add more waypoints to guide a GPS to a more specific route.

Also note that TomTom and Google maps (as any other map) may have differences that can affect your route... You may try MyDrive which has the same map with the device...
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    I suffered a similar thing when riding the other day. Loaded a route then changed the on unit format from windy to fastest option. I then then spent the next hour being taken down all sorts of back roads until In the end I stopped, clear the route and reloaded it. From then on everything went as originally planned. Ie using more main roads.
    Not sure if this is of any help.
    Personally I use my route app these days or mydrive as I find occasionally the mydrive app does not allow you to use the section you require but takes you around the block instead.
  • RTwoRTwo Posts: 53 [Master Traveler]
    If you want it to follow your 'route' and not deviate, you will need to split it into various rides and use Tracks.
    i.e track1 will take you to your first stop on day 1, track 2 to the next stop etc.

My way of guaranteeing, I have a track and not a route

I use MyRoute-app and create a route using plenty of well placed waypoints, i then save it as a gpx to a folder somewhere.
    Back in MyRoute-app, I go to 'Tracklogs'
    Select 'New' and then 'Tracklog (upload)'
    Choose the previously saved gpx

You then have a track you can save and load onto your Rider.
    The only routing options when you select it will be 'ride to start' or 'ride to nearest point'
    Always choose 'ride to start' unless you're already someway along it.
    If you don't get these two options, you probably have a 'Route' loaded rather than a 'Track'
    RTwo wrote:
    My way of guaranteeing, I have a track and not a route

I use MyRoute-app and create a route using plenty of well placed waypoints, i then save it as a gpx to a folder somewhere.....

Hi, if you just chose "Export" from MyRoute-app to the attached TTR and opt for GPX 1.1 you will get both a route and a track, then you can chose as you go ...

Have a nice day,
    Anders
  • RTwoRTwo Posts: 53 [Master Traveler]
    Hi, if you just chose "Export" from MyRoute-app to the attached TTR and opt for GPX 1.1 you will get both a route and a track, then you can chose as you go ...

Have a nice day,
    Anders

It does produce two options to choose from (one prefixed by a 'T') but neither are true tracks. They both get routed by the Tomtom in accordance with the route settings.
    If you select a true track to follow on the Tomtom, you will get two options - 'ride to start' or 'ride to nearest point' to select from.
    If you don't get those options, you're either already on the track or it isn't a true track.
    RTwo wrote:
    It does produce two options to choose from (one prefixed by a 'T') but neither are true tracks. They both get routed by the Tomtom in accordance with the route settings.

Hi, if you look inside a GPX 1.1 file the track section of it are just coordinates with a few meters in between up to 100ish meters between them depending on roads and length of the track. A track cannot be anything else as far as I know, it is just a bunch of coordinates to follow, one by one. It's not vector routing ...

However, I have also experienced that there is route decisions being made by the GPS but I am not aware of what the program code looks like or what routing algorithms that are used so ...

... I would say that the track option in the GPX is as close as we will get to a true track.

Just my 50 öre.

Have a nice day,
    Anders