Make a route and upload to Rider 550 when there is no WiFi

MxvbMxvb Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 29 in RIDER
Can i make a route and load it to my tomtom wen there is no WIFI ?

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 10,523 Superuser
    @Mxvb

Which software are you using to create the external route? On what device PC/laptop/smartphone?

See page 159 of the manual http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/refman/TomTom-RIDER-EU-UM-en-gb.pdf
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,529 Superusers
    Hi
    @Mxvb

No Wifi use option... (2)
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re Rider 550 update using Wi-Fi...
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wifi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi connection speed of 30Mbps... Especially for the large Map updates
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted

Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

870d2bce-aa69-408c-b876-cf4aeb5e2fb5.png
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

Route Planners...
    The FreeTomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner
    Get it here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Tyre to Travel... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    Free & Subscription (Gold)

The MyRoute App... https://www.myrouteapp.com/en
    Free & Subscription (Gold)

Route/Track Transfer Methods....
    The Tomtom MyDrive Route planner will only transfer .GPX files...
    As far as I'm aware the Tyre to Travel & the MyRoute App uses the MyDrive Route planner in the processing to transfer the Route to your Rider 4xx/5xx

You will need to save the .ITN files to your desktop and use one of the following methods to transfer the file to the Rider 450

Tomtom Easy route upload....
    The Rider 400 will give you direct access to a small 50MB partition of the Rider4xx internal memory and if fitted your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop you're .ITN or .GPX route files directly to the Rider 400 Memory or the Memory card over a secure system: See.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/route-with-multiple-destinations-and-waypoints-1002212?postid=1085184

Micro SD Memory Card... Route Transfer
    To transfer a .ITN or .GPX route file/s using a Micro SD Card: See.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/mydrive-ability-to-add-waypoints-1007398?postid=1103601

Bluetooth....
    Transferring a route to my PC using Bluetooth (Or a Micro SD Card)
    (.... Menu) --> MyRoutes --> Share Tracks --> select the Recorded Route
    --> Tap Share --> Choose Memory card or Bluetooth --> Follow the on-screen prompts to completion...

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    The only program i had fot my Tomtom to make routes was Tomtom mydrive, but than you need an internet connection.
    I was wonderdering if there exsist a program for Tomtom to make route off line, like Mapsource ore Basecamp does for Garmlin.
    I had a Garmin and there was no problem for doiing that.
    Do I have to regret my purchase?
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,523 Superuser
    @Mxvb

You could try the free version of Tyre from hear http://www.tyretotravel.com/ then import the saved route as per pages 158 and 159 on the manual (link above)
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • AymaraAymara Posts: 19 [Apprentice Traveler]
    You can still use Basecamp and ITN Converter and copy GPX or ITN to SD Card.
  • MxvbMxvb Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Tnx for your answer.
    For everybody, stay with Garmin.
    Mxvb wrote:
    For everybody, stay with Garmin.

No, thanks ... much too slow. The Rider 550 is the only one being fast enough to compete with Smartphone navigation and route planing works like a charm, if you get your workflow right.

I thankfully don‘t need to work offline, because I nearly always have WiFi or cellular internet available.

I mainly use Calimoto for route planning, which is unbeatable for my taste, because it‘s the only planer I know, that allows different profiles between waypoints. So one part can contain a highway, while the other is super curvy. I export to GPX routes (not tracks), which Calimoto does by default and import that into the browser-version of MyDrive, which adds needed waypoints automatically to keep the route 1:1. Then I only sync the nav points (stops) to the Rider, which you can do in the route edit menu, and save a route there (not a track) to be able to change the route based on traffic info, if needed, which is not possible with tracks.

And if you really need to plan offline, you have the same options as with Garmin (e.g. Basecamp), just convert to ITN before transfering with an SD Card as described in post #3.

No need to use a slow Garmin with a display that is barely readable in the sun :wink:

Both are not perfect, Garmin and TomTom, but I much prefer the Rider 550 over everything else. But ok, that‘s just my taste, but for above reasons.

PS: When syncing just nav points, there is a bug, that changes the start of the route to the current GPS location. So I mostly use a favorite location as start point to easily correct that before saving.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Am afraid there's no solution for offline usage. Every solution proposed here needs an Internet connection.

A solution could be Basecamp and ITN Converter if you can use Basecamp without a Garmin...

But you always have the mobile network with no roaming fees in E.U.
    Ste7ios wrote:
    Every solution proposed here needs an Internet connection.

Except the Basecamp / ITN Converter idea, which should work offline and with a TomTom too, not only Garmin. For sure, the first setup needs internet to download everything needed.

Basecamp itself is free, but the Garmin maps are not. But you can use OpenStreet Maps instead.

PS: Regarding cellular network ... that doesn‘t work everywhere. A few regions are offline depending on the provider.