My route gpx tracks rider 400 — TomTom Community

My route gpx tracks rider 400

GTR1400GTR1400 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
edited January 29 in RIDER
Please someone help I am pulling my hair out!! Not great with IT and have watched all the help videos on this.
My issue I create a route I want to ride on a site called motogoloco very popular in the Uk. Save it as a track gpx file to my desktop computer then pop it on micro SD which goes in the bottom of sat nav ok. Get a prompt to import which it does no issues. Then go my routes pick the track and press go to find when it uploads it the roads have changed to what I can only suspect it fastest route. I could understand if this was my places and I put a postcode in cause this would use settings of sat nav. Surely the whole point of a track is to follow the road route you design not for the satnav to change it. Hopefully it’s a settings issue or I will give up and go back to my garmin. Can you help or advise?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,222 Superusers
    Hi
    @GTR1400

You could try loading the .GPX Track into the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

If the route varies from the original route use the MDW Route planner to tweek it back to the original path before syncing the route to the Rider 400

ATB YFM
  • GTR1400GTR1400 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Hi thanks for the reply I did try that but it takes for ever to load then changes the route again. My grumble is with tom tom I think. Don’t see the point of a track if the software is going to interfere and change the route. Might as well just put the postcode in and use normal search
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 269 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi,

If it is nothing secret about the route, would you mind sharing it as it is saved from the route planning tool? Just curious to see if there is both a track and a route in the file as there should be. If only the route portion is available or usable for that matter then the GPS would only use that and then the GPS would only have your waypoints and do the routing itself between them based on its settings, traffic info and so on ...

Have a nice day.

Anders
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    Did you really saved a track? A GPX file may contain a track, a route, or both of them concurrently.

TT will treat them as tracks no matter the content...

Also have in mind that there are differences between maps of different vendors (TomTom, Google, Garmin, etc) or even versions of the same vendor.

As AndersNordth said you may upload the gpx file to have a real answer to your problem...
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,222 Superusers
    Hi
    @GTR1400
    GTR1400 wrote:
    Hi thanks for the reply I did try that but it takes for ever to load then changes the route again. My grumble is with tom tom I think. Don’t see the point of a track if the software is going to interfere and change the route. Might as well just put the postcode in and use normal search
    If your using Firefox the MDW Route planner is awful, like watching paint dry
    Chrome is working well, Fast Map screen redraw....

ATB YFM
  • LevispLevisp Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    Cannot help regards your problem with Motogoloco but if you are using them because you don't like MyDrive then try Google My Maps. I use Google My Maps and export file as a KMZ file. Then use GPS Visualizer web site to convert file to GPX. Then I import this file into MyDrive. Once I have checked that all is good save it and sync as track. Job done.
    new question then how do I upload the gpx file to this so you guys can help?
    Don't know.
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 252 [Exalted Navigator]
    GTR1400 wrote:
    new question then how do I upload the gpx file to this so you guys can help?
    Upload the file to a sharing website like dropbox and post the link here.
    OK I created a route using Motogoloco. A simple A to B route. I then dragged the centre of the route to change it and the program created what I would call shaping point C. I then exported it as a gpx file. When I imported it into MyDrive all it did was import 3 waypoints not a track. So when you import your gpx into your rider I am guessing its doing the same thing. Just imports waypoint which the rider then joins up to make your route depending on your routing settings.
    OK did one more complicated route and exported it as a gpx. Again when importing into MyDrive I got a series of waypoints not a track.
    I use MyRoute-App. I saved a ride as a Track from the app and copied it to the Rider.

I get two tracks loaded from one gpx file. One labelled as Track-xxxxx, the other as Route-xxxxxx. Both are shown as tracks. When shown on the Rider's map they are slightly different.

Link to GPX file
    @GTR1400 It looks like that the saved Motogoloco GPX file contains only a route and not a track.

You can tell from the size. A route file will be some bytes under a kilobyte and a track will be some hundreds or more kilobytes...

@ChrisHall GPX v1.0 or v1.1 files contains a route, a track and the waypoints. All of them are treated as tracks with more or less detail... (I know... stupid...)

Also, as said above...

GPX files (GPS exchange format)
    GPX files contain a very detailed recording of where you have been on your track, including any off-road locations. GPX files become tracks after import....Note: While viewing your recording, you may notice that the recorded GPS locations do not always correspond with the roads. This can happen for several reasons. Firstly, your device tries to keep the files small and this can cause a slight loss of data precision. Secondly, your device records the actual data from the GPS chip for an accurate representation of where you’ve been, rather than what you see on your screen. Thirdly, the software with which you view the recording may have the maps misaligned.

(Copy-paste from: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/html/en-gb/index.htm#AboutGPXandITNfiles-GOSTARTTRUCKERWINGSITALIA.htm)
    hi thanks all for the replies the file is 674KB so suspect the site is only downloading way points then. Just bizarre that some files work and some don't. think I will give up as I am crap with IT and my computer is sooooo slow.
    At that size must be a track.
    @ste7ios

I created the waypoint route on MyRoute App and saved it as a v1 GPX file, so I assume the app adds all the required track points to the track with the Track prefix and Rider creates the Route prefix and adds all the track points hence the difference. (Or vice versa)
    Ok now I’m confused lol as said think I’m going to admit defeat
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634 Superusers
    Hi

Depending on the distance but I would suggest you need at least 40 reasonably evenly spaced waypoints. I use myrouteapp. Pick your start and finish points then drag the route onto the roads you want to use. If you then pick a number of points along the way and just drag the rout then return it to the right place it will add a waypoint. Try to avoid doing this at junctions also make sure your waypoint is on the right side of the road especially if a dual carriageway or Motorway.
  • AymaraAymara Posts: 19 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is what I do and it works like a charm:

I have a free account for Calimoto and use their online route planer, which is by far the best I ever saw ... different routing profiles between way points and a superb routing algorythm for curvy routes. You can also save locations and routes.

https://calimoto.com/

When you export a route to GPX, it will be a GPX-Route, not a track, so if you import it in MyDrive, the later will import a route and automatically adds the needed way points, so that the route remains the same. Then I just sync the way points to my Rider 550 to maintain a route instead of getting a track. If I use the same routing profile on the device as on MyDrive (usually „fastest“), the route is the same.

But there‘s still the bug, that the start point gets changed in the Rider to the current location. So I always use a favourite location as a start point and correct the route to this before saving it. Alternatively you can set a dummy way point near the start point and use this instead, if you don‘t want to use a favorite location as a start point.

This way on the Rider I only have routes in MyRoutes, no tracks, so traffic info and closed roads can be taken into account while riding.

I highly recommend to try it yourself :wink:

PS: A further advantage is, that you also have a backup of your favorite locations and routes in Calimoto and if you‘re on the road without your TomTom, you have a fallback GPS by using the Calimoto app on your smartphone. Best of both worlds :wink:
    Let me add something to my above recommendation:

If you import the GPX-Route also to GPSies (www.gpsies.com / free), you will be able to export it as a Google Earth Route ... and you guessed it ... import your route in Google Earth.

This allows you to check the landscape around your route and to find alternatives for suboptimal parts of it.

If you use GE on iPad or Android you can nicely „navigate“ through your route with your fingers, which is more comfortable than using the mouse in the desktop version. The later though (Pro Version currently available for free / hurry up) allows even creating videos of your route to show it team mates before you ride it.

Here‘s a screenshot of my latest route from the iPad version to get an imagination, what I‘m talking about:

e64968d2-fd8c-430c-bcce-dd1dc383afbc.jpg

Conclusion: Combining MyDrive with other route planing software and Google Earth leads to better route results :wink:

Try it out and enjoy.
  • RTwoRTwo Posts: 53 [Master Traveler]
    My way of guaranteeing, I have a track.

I use MyRoute-app and create a route using plenty of well placed waypoints, i then save it as a gpx to a folder somewhere.
    Back in MyRoute-app, I go to 'Tracklogs'
    Select 'New' and then 'Tracklog (upload)'
    Choose the previously saved gpx

You then have a track you can save and load onto your Rider.
    The only routing options when you select it will be 'ride to start' or 'ride to nearest point'
    Always choose 'ride to start' unless you're already someway along it.

You'll go from ...
    6c348613-ab36-4a9d-b374-a3a795927b40.png

To this ...
    b43af118-713e-423a-a0c9-bc0f379b1abc.png
    Yes, but using tracks instead of routes has a huge downside ... the Rider won‘t react to traffic info and show alternative routes.

And if you encouter a closed road, maybe due to a construction site, a pure nightmare might begin, that forces you to stop your track, search for an alternative route and continue your track later.

That‘s why I don‘t use tracks anymore, but only routes, though it‘s more hassle to save them on your rider.

It‘s a shame, that you only can sync nav points from MyDrive to „current route“ instead of syncing routes the same way as tracks directly to My Routes ... and especially in alphabetical order. Saving from current route adds it to the top of the list ... what a nonsense.
    If I've planned a specific route, I don't want any interference from the system, so it works for me. I also only ever set a specific route if I'm on a pleasure ride and tend to avoid well travelled, heavy traffic roads.
    I see you're in Germany though, my experience there has been to come across lots of closed roads (for repair, I guess) so maybe you guys need the traffic routing etc. more that I do?
    I‘m from the Ruhr Area in Germany a huge metropolitan area, where we besides traffic jams often have construction sites and you need to drive a minimum of 10km to get in the more interesting regions.

Furthermore we have many closed roads for motorcycles in Germany in summer, some completely closed, some only on weekends.

So using tracks can easily end up in a nightmare, as I said.

Using routes though is a pure advantage, because you are not forced to use alternative route. They are only showed besides the original track in case of traffic jams or closed roads. You are free to decide just by driving the original or alternative direction.

Using alternative routes leads the fastest way to the next waypoint, so nav point placement should be well planned. Sometimes, when navpoint placement was suboptimal, you might be forced to skip a waypoint.

As I said, more work, but overall better, more flexible choice.
    Aymara wrote:

Furthermore we have many closed roads for motorcycles in summer, some completely closed, some only on weekends.

I believe a revolution is in order ;)