UPdates have ruined the TomTom professional device — TomTom Community

UPdates have ruined the TomTom professional device

Twice now in the last 3 months my updates feature said that I needed to update Tom Tom Maps and its a huge update or 7gb or something. I stupidly did it last time before making a long journey. It then too repeated aborted attempts to update as it wiped the old map off and kept saying No Maps. I very stupidly agreed to update again, (using Wifi as Ive lost the USB cable). Its taken over 2 weeks of aborted attemnpts to update. It takes days to get to 47% then days to get another 2% then it says Internet lost and basically start over. What the hell is wrong with it? Any help greatfully received. I cant even see where I can buy a new Tom Tom USB cable for it?:tired_face:

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,221 Superusers
    Hi
    @Frustrated me

For replacement Cable Try....
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/chargers-cables/compact-car-charger/

How slow is you Wi-Fi ???... Tomtom recommend to use a Wi-Fi network with a download speed of at least 30 MB/S, especially when updating maps which can be large downloads

ATB YFM
  • Frustrated meFrustrated me Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    It says 26.3mb/s
    Thanks for the link. Is the cable so different from a normal usb cable?
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,429 Superuser
    Hi @Frustrated me

The cable must be USB A-Male to Micro-USB2 B and be able to provide an electrical charge and data exchange like the original TomTom cable. The cables of smartphones and tablets go very well for updates like their main chargers for the battery. I use at home those of my Samsung devices without any worries.

The angled connector of the original cable is the most annoying, some TomTom devices and car mounts need this angled connector. Add the problem of the length of the cable for use in the car.

Regards.
    I will go and try to find my Samsung cable. Thanks for that. EVery day I look at the Tom Tom and I normally see "Oops, there is no internet" or something like that, I then go through the whole "Connect, Add Maps, Find maps, re connect bit" After 3 1/2 weeks were up to "Downloading 80%". Normally it gets somewhere near and says Ive either run out of space or "There are no maps fitted, you need to download them" SO I start off at 1% again. Its really frustrating. What is worse is no one at Tom Tom is reachable.
    Thank you for answering
    Hi
    @Frustrated me
    After 3 1/2 weeks were up to "Downloading 80%". Normally it gets somewhere near and says Ive either runs out of space or "There are no maps fitted, you need to download them" SO I start off at 1% again. Its really frustrating. What is worse is no one at Tom is reachable.
    What's GO Pro full Model name ??? Could be a NAV4 device with 8GB Memory, you may need 16GB Micro SDHC Memory card class 6 or above to install the Full Europe Map
    Edit... Doh!!! Of course its NAV5 its a Wi-Fi device

Phone Tomtom Support
    :flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m

ATB YFM
    Hoooo flippping ray!!!!! After 3 weeks the maps are downloaded and it works again!!!! I wont be updating the maps again in a hurry!!!!!
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 629 Superuser
    FYI, there are three types of USB cables. All three are part of the USB standard (although opinions vary on this for the charging-only cable)...
    1. Charging only - these only supply power, and don't have the data pins wired up.
    2. Charging and data - all pins are wired up.
    3. Rapid charging and data - all pins wired up, upgraded wires/connectors, and handshake circuitry to enable a higher voltage supply.
    I believe the TomTom Go requires the third type due to its power demands. As it's difficult to determine which type a USB cable is, it's easier to recommend just using the TomTom-supplied cable - which we know is suitable.
    Thank you dmulv I will order one now. Is this the one https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/chargers-cables/compact-car-charger/ as described above?
    Hi
    @dmulv

I agree, other than the original supplied Tomtom USB lead, the only successful 3rd party USB leads I have purchase are the ones classified as OTG 'On The Go'
    Which I would think fall into your category (3)... Rapid charging and data - all pins wired up, upgraded wires/connectors, and handshake circuitry to enable a higher voltage supply

ATB YFM