Go 6200 Battery dead help? — TomTom Community

Go 6200 Battery dead help?

bruceybrucey Posts: 166 [Renowned Trailblazer]
Hi All,

My Go 6200 died on the way back home today....do around 800-1000 miles a week so Sat Nav pretty essential kit to me.

I do have an old 6100 I could get out of retirement but it always felt under powered processor wise.

Have had it on charge at home for 2 hours and doesn't power on so pretty sure the battery has gone.

Anything else anyone could suggest and is replacing the battery myself easy enough to do with self help videos as it's more than a year old?

Running 18.2 but I'm sure that's not related. Thank you

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,236 Superusers
    Hi
    @brucey

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    (2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)
    (3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/go-61-brightness-problems-1025607?postid=1177429

ATB YFM
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 166 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Appreciate the response YFM.

I can confirm the charger in the car is the original supplied TT one.
    Not quite sure how but the 6200 is working again at least short term. Gave the gold pins on the back a clean with a little alcohol using a lens wipe and left on mains charge for about 5 hours over weekend.

Will do some tests but ran on battery for at least a hour this morning....will see if charges up on return journey (2 hours) and keeps charge. (TomTom is on a Brodit mount)

Had a heads up from another forum and it looks like the 6200 has a 2 year hardware warranty so should be able to at least return to TT for repair if problem reappears.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,236 Superusers
    Hi
    @brucey

May be useful....
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon

Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpgFull Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supplyebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpgHalf Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpgLow Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpgOne of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

ATB YFM
    Again thanks for taking the time to reply YFM and I will get one of the USB devices so I can monitor what's occurring over the next week or so.
    It would be handy IMO if the battery indicator was on display on the main driving window rather than having to press the ellipsis button to access.