Rider 550 bike mount seems faulty

mikekibbs
mikekibbs Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I bought a Rider 550 a few weeks back and connected to 2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200 but for the life of me I can't get it to charge. If I use the car charger and mount on the bike it works but when I use the bike mount it won't even when I wire it to the same point. Sent away for a replacement and had one back today and still the same. The male pins on the connector from the bike show 12v on a meter but the pins on the bike mount show 0.01v when on and 0v when off. Has anyone else had this problem? I find it hard to believe they have sent another faulty item but then again, if the other one wasn't faulty why didn't they say that.

Comments

• mikekibbs
    Apprentice Seeker
    Should add, just done more testing and its something to do with the output to 5v. I can see 12v going in but 0v out via the retractable mount pins. Unlike the car adapter the voltage reduction is in the bike mount. It says 12-24v in and 5v output but I'm getting nothing out and amps all ok coming in. Is this a known problem?
  • Ste7ios
    Ste7ios Posts: 759
    Superuser
    Is the polarity ok? Red to +, black to -
  • mikekibbs
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yes. All ok.
  • MilwDave
    MilwDave Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I’ve had the same problem with my Rider 400 which uses the same bike mount.
  • AlanSC
    AlanSC Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Traveler
    I have the same issue with a rider 500 mount. The current tester shows 12v coming out of the cables and into the the mount but nothing out of the mount connections. I swapped poliarities just in case - but nothing! I am using the usb input to charge it, which works OK but a brand new product ought to work seamlessly out of the box.
    The support guy sent me a shipping label to reurn it to a place in Rumania for repair.
  • SKippy307
    SKippy307 Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    edited October 2019
    I have the same issue now. It used to work now nothing unless I flick the connector a few times, it momentarily charges then stops. Not very helpful on a day ride out...any solutions please?
  • T1moth
    T1moth Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    I had a similar problem. The charger started to deliver charge intermittently causing to switch off due to low battery and then switch on straight away when on the charging mount. By the time I was able to stop and disconnect the unit was dead and the charger was delivering no charge at all. A little research online shows me that problems with the charger are common, and my own experience tells me that this can go on to destroy the satnav unit as well. As a precaution if you are running from battery or USB but still using the mount to hold the unit make sure that the 12v wire is disconnected. I'm waiting to find out if the unit can be repaired.
  • Chris8888
    Chris8888 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Liebe TomTom-Käufer,

auch ich besitze ein TomTom Raider 550 und würde es mir nie, ich wiederhole, niemals wieder kaufen. Das Gerät entpuppte sich als der größte Fehlkauf, den ich jemals gemacht habe.
    Weder funktionierte das Gerät jemals so wie man es sich an einem Motorrad vorstellt, noch gibt es die Möglichkeit des Umtausches oder der Reklamation. Selbst eine ganz normale Kontaktaufnahme mit TomTom ist so gut wie ausgeschlossen. Versucht es mal.

Viele Grüße
    Christian
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,161
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Chris8888
    Google Translate....
    Chris8888 wrote: »
    (Snip) Nor is there the possibility of exchange or complaint. Even a normal contact with TomTom is almost impossible
    Welcome to the site....
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

TomTom customer support by email….
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560
    Note... This link is to one of the Tomtom Support site pages... You may have to login again using your Tomtom Email & Password...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM