I have received an email stating updates are free. Is this a scam?

DenimacDenimac Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 30 in Map purchasing
I've had my TomTom XXl for about 3 years now. I have recently received emails from [email protected] saying that I can now download new maps free of charge. Is this a valid email address?

I never click on links on emails, so I have connected my device to TomTomHome, but there are no maps to download. Therefore I suspect this might be a scam/phishing type email.

Anyone else had these emails?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,155 Superusers
    Considering your model has been deemed End of Life by Tomtom (no further updates), I, too, would be very suspicious of the email you received.

You can call support to confirm BUT do not provide a model when prompted in order for a live agent to respond:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • DawntyDawnty Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have also received an email today saying "the new map is ready for download, download it now free of charge" . I also received the same email when I toured Canada earlier this year for the Alaska Canada map which I had brought a couple of years previously. Both the emails look genuine but I am sceptical that these emails are real when checking my maps in my drive I can buy the europe map for £8 off.

As much as I'd like a free map update it seems too good to be true I'd much rather stay safe and delete the email.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Check with support if you want but I belatedly rec'd a similar email from [email protected] (note no CAPS) regarding one of my current devices yesterday and it is genuine although rare that the system bothers to tell their customers that they've released new maps, albeit 2 weeks after they were released.
    Maybe your device is still supported, check here https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/ as not all XXL's are EoL'd because if you opened TTHome & then logged in, you would have got the EoL message. Did you click on "Update my GO" and if so, what message did you get?
  • DenimacDenimac Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have just rechecked the email, and the address it came from definitely has capital T's for TomTom. Just a subtle difference, but then, that is how the scammers get away with it. I think I will ignore the email.

My device is a XXL Classic. When I connect my device, there is no message about EoL, it just gives me details of available updates (mapshare corrections). There is a also a message offering me a one year Western Europe map update for £54.95, so I guess my device is not EoL.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Good that you checked here then, AND that you're not EoL yet too

PS even if it had been genuine, TTHome would have given you a similar message BUT they don't give anything away for free anyway
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 601 [Exalted Navigator]
    @Denimac ,

I occasionally receive these Emails for an out-of-date TomTom!

Yet I NEVER receive these Emails for my Current TomToms!

Regards,

John-Jay