Is there an Electronic Compass in the Rider 550? — TomTom Community

Is there an Electronic Compass in the Rider 550?

basixbasix Posts: 486 Superuser
edited January 11 in RIDER
Is there an electronic compass inside the Rider 550?

Let me clarify that question: When you walk outside with your device in your hand (or on your bike - but it will be less clear due to speed) and you decide to change direction by 180°, does the arrow follow immediately, or does it only pick up your direction after going 30m in that direction?

I don't care about the compass visualisation, I know that the 420 and 550 share basically the same software and that it is not there. I am interested in the responsiveness of the GPS arrow to physical direction changes during slow speed activity like walking/cycling.

I am not a TomTom employee. Don't send me private messages.

Comments

• basixbasix Posts: 486 Superuser
    @VikramK ? anyone?

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,991 TomTom Moderator
    Hi basix

I don't have a device handy at the moment to test this but I will try to find one.

And you are saying when travelling on a planned route or just general navigation?

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    Thanks @VikramK ;)
    I guess in both cases. I was in France navigating on foot with the 420 and when you're walking around on something like a big square with quite a few smaller streets, it is not always clear what street to take. Especially if there are no markings of street names on the streets. The narrower they are, the more difficult the GPS reception gets, and without a compass it really is difficult to (re-)orient.

bump?

• BliejeBlieje Posts: 90 [Master Explorer]
    I don't think so.
    When an electronic compass would be present, the orientation to the north would be known to the device without moving. Now, when powering on your device, you see the map on the screen rotating to the correct orientation after riding several meters...
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,991 TomTom Moderator
    hi @basix

I had taken some time off, so was not able to reply early.

Sorry about that..

I tested this today, unfortunately, the 180 degree does not happen immediately on the device.

As you said, you need to travel a little distance after which the device adapts to the turn. This sometimes also depends on how strong the GPS reception is.

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    Thanks @VikramK!